Air Conditioning

mondmn70

I have a 2005 which occasionally does not provide adequate cooling but other times works normally. When testing the AC system as outlined in the 2003 service manual it usually shows 42-44 deg F, well within specifications. When not cooling adequately it shows slightly below or above minimum of 54 deg F. Dealer has looked at it but unable to find a problem - temperature test was normal. Since dealer looked at it, periodic testing has shown one time just below minimum and 4 times in 42-44 range over the last month.

Any ideas on what could be causing an intermittent problem? My warranty ends in a few days and would like to see this fixed under warranty but that requires the dealer being able to find the problem.

Thanks,
Mike

sikwan

06 Tin Can
A couple things to check for...

Easy: Make sure the condensor (behind grille for front A/C) is clean. Bugs, birds, dirt, grime, etc.

Somewhat Hard: Check the pressure on the low side .

mondmn70

Sik, thanks for the suggestions. I have checked the radiator for bugs, etc and have not found anything reducing airflow. The dealer claimed they checked the high and low side and they were in specification, also claimed they added a very small amount of freon but not enough that it should have made any difference. Since the dealer looked at it, one time it has failed to cool adequately but all other times has been fine.

Mike

famof8

Famof8 + 1 = Famof9!
Mike, my front system has a similar issue. It works great for a while, then the compressor turns off and won't turn back on and everything heats up. Then a few minutes later the compressor will kick back on, but will be at a higher pressure on the high side. At this point, I still have been dragging my feet and have not bought a gauge kit to check the low side.

If I was a mechanic and just checked the pressures when all was well, I would see nothing out of the ordinary. I may be inclined to add a smig of refrigerant. However, when warm happens, that may lead to them finding the problem.

I suspect that my issue has to do with either air or moisture in the front a/c system and may require an additional evacuation.

Don't know if this helps, but I do share your frustration. :cry:

talkinghorse43

Because an auto A/C compressor shaft seal normally leaks a little, the system should be evacuated and recharged every 2 years or so.

mondmn70

Where is the drain line for the a/c evaporator? By the way, I was looking for the drain line underneath and found the brace between the bottom of the engine and the turbo missing the bolt at the turbo. Don't know if this is common but you may want to look at it the next time you are underneath.

Mike

Top Bottom