Transmission Fluid/Filter/Gasket Kit

gilee

2006 Sprinter 2500 Camper
Hi guys,
I wonder what is the difference between these 2 kits? The price is 70% more, is it really have the difference? As I see many people on Forum change to other 3rd party tranny fluid as well.
169.90 kit.JPG VS 99.88 kit.JPG
any tips will be apreciated!

As I am planning to change the Transmission fluid, and most forum suggest to change following.
Other than tranny Fluid, filter, Gasket, also getting the Adaptor Plug Housing.JPG and Drain Plug Seal Ring.JPG.
I already have the transmission dip stick. any other suggestions or anything I missed?

Thanks!

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
in short, no difference at all, except the greater discount.
what else? depends on the year of your sprinter, some need a new adapter plug because of a poor Oring and leak

Nautamaran

2004 140” HRC 2500 (Crewed)
- Torque converter drain plug gasket. These vary by year so be sure you’re getting the correct size.
- Inspection window cover for bell housing if you’re missing any?
- have a roll of lint free shop towels on hand to lay parts on (or newsprint is fine too)
- if shaft speed readings are at all erratic consider also dropping the conductor plate and cleanings the magnetic sensors

All of these are on my spring to do list as my 2005 closes in on 180,000 miles

-dave

gilee

in short, no difference at all, except the greater discount.
what else? depends on the year of your sprinter, some need a new adapter plug because of a poor Oring and leak
Thank you.
My year is 2005. I see my transmission is leaking. instead of just changing the O-Ring, I plan to just replace the adapter completely, since only $9.xx from europarts. (I assume this includes the new ring...)
So, will this cover the issue you mentioned?
Thanks!

gilee

Hi Dave.
I been searching and reading some post here, for example: https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2557

Let me see if I am sure on what you mean...
- Torque converter drain plug gasket. These vary by year so be sure you’re getting the correct size.
From europarts.com, it only has 1 for me to choose from. Any suggestion where to get it? Or best to go to MB? ... I just feel $3.50+ for a ring is a ripoff...

- Inspection window cover for bell housing if you’re missing any?
Do you mean the 2 rectanglar rubber plug? what do you mean by missing anything?

- have a roll of lint free shop towels on hand to lay parts on (or newsprint is fine too)
I have alot of the shop towels, I hope the fluid won't spill everywhere...

- if shaft speed readings are at all erratic consider also dropping the conductor plate and cleanings the magnetic sensors
- I am not sure about his, do I read the shaft speed reading from my iCarSoft Scanner? (While engine started and running, so I should check before draining the fluid)
- "dropping the conductor plate" is this the valve body where the filter is hooked to? (after dropping the fluid pan)
- "Magnetic Sensor" is this the magnetic on the pan? or what magnetic sensor?

All of these are on my spring to do list as my 2005 closes in on 180,000 miles

-dave
Thanks!

Nautamaran

2004 140” HRC 2500 (Crewed)
Hi Dave.
I been searching and reading some post here, for example: https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2557

Let me see if I am sure on what you mean...

From europarts.com, it only has 1 for me to choose from. Any suggestion where to get it? Or best to go to MB? ... I just feel $3.50+ for a ring is a ripoff...

Sorry... was thinking of the plug, which has different sized allen holes

Do you mean the 2 rectanglar rubber plug? what do you mean by missing anything?

Yes

I have alot of the shop towels, I hope the fluid won't spill everywhere...

- I am not sure about his, do I read the shaft speed reading from my iCarSoft Scanner? (While engine started and running, so I should check before draining the fluid)
Best to watch output shaft speed on TCM while driving...

- "dropping the conductor plate" is this the valve body where the filter is hooked to? (after dropping the fluid pan)
Yes

- "Magnetic Sensor" is this the magnetic on the pan? or what magnetic sensor?
No... The plastic conductor plate has a pair of shaft speed sensors at one end. They are magnetic, so attract metal dust that can interfere with speed readings. But the risk of disturbing the valve body needs to be weighed against the gain of fixing a poor shaft speed reading.

Thanks!
-dave

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
For a newbie, I would avoid dropping the conductor plate unless you are having shift issues/symptoms, especially in 1st and 2nd at lower speeds. If you monitor the N2 and N3 speed sensors, and the output is erratic that would be a okay reason to drop the conductor plate.

The reason to avoid it if not necessary is that there is some room for user error, such as cracking the plate etc. It varies from van to van, but many go 200k miles and have clean sensors. Regular fluid/filter changes (with pan wipe outs) play a big part in this.

Top Bottom