Reprogram Remote Key from eBay?

gilee

2006 Sprinter 2500 Camper
Hi, I only have 1 remote key.
I read alot of ppl mentioned about the Transponder chip key. I know it's cheap, and I plan to get 2 of those as backup.
But I want a remote and my current remote is in HORRIBLE shape. All cracked and the key is broken, so cannot flip in and led doesn't work.

I wonder if I just buy a used Remote Key from eBay, can I program it to my Van? (2005 Frieghtliner)
My old Audi can, as long as I have 1 original key, I can code other remote key to it. Can I do this with sprinter van or must pay $$$ to dealer to do it?

Attachments

Nautamaran

2004 140” HRC 2500 (Crewed)
Programming to introduce a new key is not available through the van’s systems. My ‘98 VW could adopt a third key if you had two... one in the driver’s door and one in the ingition. I could be charitable and say that commercial fleet owners don’t want drivers able to add their own keys, but I think it is a money grab for dealers. New keys require dealer-level software (DRBiii, Star, or equivalent) to add the transponder code to the vehicle’s code list. A bonded locksmith may also have the right tool. Note that fobs have two parts: the transmitter for door locks and the key chip for the SKREEM unit.

The transponder chip is a cylindrical capsule which can be removed from the FOB and glued inside the steering column near the ignition switch’s transmitter ring, defeating the security feature and allowing the use of non-chipped keys. Of course this does nothing for adding another transmitter to the remote locks...

-dave

ps: the two-button shells are available if you have a broken blade or case.
(note that this one has the wrong key blade, but the shell might fit?)

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Switchblade-...023859?hash=item281eb757b3:g:YyMAAOSwVyRXTpAo

Last edited:

gilee

Thank you guys.
I will definitely get the New Shell, So I can salvage the current Remote Key. (case is cracked & Key is broken off - as prev owner just GLUE everything together.) I might not even able to take it apart without breaking something.

I will just get the chipped key before doing anything, just incase.

Have you guys checked this out? (pic attached) If I have 2 or 3 more Remote Key inside the Van, while doing this, I should be able to add more keys to the Van? any thoughts?

Attachments

... If I have 2 or 3 more Remote Key inside the Van, while doing this, I should be able to add more keys to the Van? any thoughts?
I'm not willing to test that with my working systems.

"Only the key fobs that are present while the procedure is carried out will remain active."

My interpretation.

Only the [already introduced] key fobs that are present while the procedure is carried out will [continue to] remain active.

As an owner you can delete old, but not add new. If I'm wrong that would be a good thing.

Swapping parts over may work easier than you think.

vic

autostaretx

Erratic Member
There is, in theory, a turn-key/push-buttons method of telling the T1N Sprinters to *ignore* a known remote key (in case it was stolen),
but as far as i know, no one has tested (and reported) if it can *add* a new remote key.

Here are the instructions:

094SkreemRKE5.jpg

--dick

Nautamaran

2004 140” HRC 2500 (Crewed)
gilee: while I agree with Vic, since you only have one key you’ve nothing to lose trying to add a second one? If the van learns the new fob you’ve saved a dealer visit and have a topic for a Write-up thread :cheers:

-dave

gilee

gilee: while I agree with Vic, since you only have one key you’ve nothing to lose trying to add a second one? If the van learns the new fob you’ve saved a dealer visit and have a topic for a Write-up thread :cheers:

-dave
Sound good. once I got one, will try it out!

Top Bottom