wanted: om602 engine, dublin

cravings

hello all

so my beloved 312d needs an engine.

long shot, i know, but i figured i'd put it out there.

from having read the internet.. i had believed that a ssangyong om602 engine from a rexton or musso would fit, i now know that the engine is indeed the same, except for the crank position sensor. which my mechanic reckons makes it absolutely a no go.

so anyone in this part of the world got a nice old 2.9 lump for me?

cheers

steve

Skilledhanslady

Hi Steve,

I can say from experience that unless e.g.

: you are hell bent keen on some character building difficult conversion wk.

I’a give the Musso engine idea a big miss.

I have been there & triied that. Evidently on close imspectiin the block casting is different . Note the Musso oil filter ( block cast ) housing is back well beyond the Sprinters firewall

Note thr Musso injector pump is entiy mechanical not partially electronic which the sprinter is.

the timing case - dip stick - sump - & turbo drain hose inlet are all different.

I thought i’d save a quid & ordered an alleged bargain Price Musso 2.9 used engine to try & fit - ( in my then own prof wkshop ) . I hung it in the engine bay via my crane gantry to discover all the above & more.

hence the short straw & I was neither inexperienced nor a shortarse for that matter, lol.
Nice try at an idea but not worth it imho , cheers

Skilledhanslady

Add note, please excuse the numerous typo’s in my previous note. I have lost my reading glasses.

Correction also , the Musso & 312D are both mechanical injector multi point low pressure pump systems. However the Musso’s pump is:
much physically larger - housed impractically on the other side of the engine block - has no electronic fuel cut off solenoid in the pump.
Different pump timing gear within the different T case.

Yes a Musso engine conversion can be done but with far more conversion mods than are worth bothering with.

I admit tho I didn’t bother stripping down the Musso engine for viable doner parts.

I simply properly serviced the head & surrounding parts on my trusty ol 312d post blown head gasket @ 500k klms & kept going, cheers

Skilledhanslady

Top Bottom