PDA

View Full Version : Cockpit headliner question

spagthorpe
05-23-2009, 10:25 PM
In looking for places to mount some speakers, seems like the headliner over the driver/passenger seats might be the best place. I saw the ultimate windsurfing sprinter had this setup. The liner itself seems sturdy enough for it, maybe with a thin piece of wood behind them to screw the speakers into. What I was curious about, was how much room was behind the liner. It seems to flex a bit, so makes me think there is some room behind there, but I just don't know how much. I'd prefer to come up with a plan before trying to take it down. Probably dynomat (or equivilent) behind it if I go this route. Probably some 6.5" components.

maxextz
05-23-2009, 10:55 PM
hi i installed speakers in my headliner that works check out the link other people have done other types might give you some ideas.
http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3250

max.....

312 diesel (closed)
05-23-2009, 11:52 PM
There is more than enough room behind the headlining. These are Alpine 6 x 9s in there. I made a wooden pattress to reinforce the headliner a bit.
http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n413/turbobrickspics/Sprinter/DSC_2360.jpg

The roof is just steel, virtually no anti drumming so its a good idea to apply something like dynamat, I used the cheaper E dead stuff I've gone through 270ft (12" wide) so far:hmmm:

http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n413/turbobrickspics/Sprinter/DSC_2279.jpg

spagthorpe
05-24-2009, 04:21 AM
Nice. I like both those solutions. I had thought of using a wooden platform to mount them on if the headliner wasn't thick enough. I wonder if it's better from a stereo perspective to have the speakers on the sides, going across the van, or in front aimed back. I wish I knew more about car stereo stuff.

312 diesel (closed)
05-24-2009, 10:57 AM
I'm no expert on car audio, but one of the general rules is that you'll get a better sound if the speakers are equidistant from your ears. The factory front speakers fire straight up into the glass, which is less than ideal.

Clearly with the headliner mounted speakers the distances from the speaker to your ears are less than ideal. However I don't really see a way round it given the resticted space in a Sprinter cab with a bulkhead. The other location you could consider is low down in the doors, but you'll need some sort of pod as the doors are very thin.

I'm quite happy with my headliner mounted speakers, it's an acceptable compromise.

I also put a 10" subwoofer under the passenger seats in a custom box, that makes a huge difference to the overall sound

http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n413/turbobrickspics/Sprinter/DSC_2302.jpg

d_bertko
05-24-2009, 03:04 PM
I used some nice Polk component speakers and put the woofers in wedgy boxes like a typical small subwoofer enclosure. The enclosures are hung from swivels at the cargo end of the headliner. This puts the enclosures well above and just behind my head. The woofers point forward. I replaced the dash speakers with the tweeters.

The tweeters work well in the dash. I think I could have also placed them in the enclosures to essentially have "bookshelf" speakers. I'll try that next time to see if that is any different. My theory was that the high frequencies were more directional and pointing them at me from the dash would work---and it does.

The woofer frequencies are better at bouncing. The wedge shapes are acoustically very good. Since the enclosures are on swivels I can tell you how sensitive your ears are to the direction they're aimed. Straight-forward/slight-inward tilt yields the best results for the driver. Psychoacoustically (eh, maybe an unnecessarily fancy word) the sound is imaged as being front and center of the driver and passenger.

We camp in this diy 02 long tall and swivel the speakers to the rear bedroom or even out the side door in camp. I am absolutely convinced that one set of excellent speakers beats the usual solution of splitting the $$$ into front and rear sets. I was inspired by audiophile comments about how that muddies the sound. And my Yankee frugality.

There is a subwoofer in the back to fill out the low end and it is pretty insensitive to location as you might expect.

maxextz
05-24-2009, 04:51 PM
I used some nice Polk component speakers and put the woofers in wedgy boxes like a typical small subwoofer enclosure. The enclosures are hung from swivels at the cargo end of the headliner. This puts the enclosures well above and just behind my head. The woofers point forward. I replaced the dash speakers with the tweeters.

The tweeters work well in the dash. I think I could have also placed them in the enclosures to essentially have "bookshelf" speakers. I'll try that next time to see if that is any different. My theory was that the high frequencies were more directional and pointing them at me from the dash would work---and it does.

The woofer frequencies are better at bouncing. The wedge shapes are acoustically very good. Since the enclosures are on swivels I can tell you how sensitive your ears are to the direction they're aimed. Straight-forward/slight-inward tilt yields the best results for the driver. Psychoacoustically (eh, maybe an unnecessarily fancy word) the sound is imaged as being front and center of the driver and passenger.

We camp in this diy 02 long tall and swivel the speakers to the rear bedroom or even out the side door in camp. I am absolutely convinced that one set of excellent speakers beats the usual solution of splitting the $$$ into front and rear sets. I was inspired by audiophile comments about how that muddies the sound. And my Yankee frugality.

There is a subwoofer in the back to fill out the low end and it is pretty insensitive to location as you might expect.

hi d_bertko sounds "excuse the pun"like a nice setup do you have any pics?:thumbup: