534F code

Lotus54

I just got a 534F (switchover valve Left front/right rear diagonal) code.

I’m starting to look that up and see where the valve is located, but if anyone knows please speak up.

Thanks
mark

Lotus54

I fired up the C3.
Looks like first thing to check the Fuse 7.
But I'm not sure 'which' fuse 7 yet (time to read up in the service manual, unless someone knows off the top of their head.

The error will return immediately if I clear it.
testing 'current valves shows 12.x V engine off, 14.x with engine running.

Attachments

autostaretx

Erratic Member
That F7 is one of the two horizontal (and 3rd vertical) fuses on the driver's seat pedestal.

FuseBlock2dickLabels.jpg

Marked as "anti-lock brakes" in the photo.

--dick

Lotus54

Thanks.

Fuse appeared good- a swap resulted in the warning lights still on...
Guess it is time to check earth points and perhaps connectors. (?)

Mark

Last edited:

Lotus54

Reading voltage from software shows good.

Now I need to figure where ‘W27’ and ‘J16’ are located.
I haven’t found it in the manual yet (although I’m sure it is there someplace).

Almost sounding like the hydraulic may be bad (although I’ve never heard of one failing, and an electrical connection sounds a lot more likely).
Since I think the hydraulic unit is some $3k (!!) I certainly am not going to ‘give it a go’ until I’ve exhausted other options.

Anyone hear of the hydraulic unit failing?

Mark

autostaretx

Erratic Member
(by "service manual" i'm referring to the 2006 manual available here:
http://diysprinter.co.uk/reference/2006-VA-SM.pdf ,
section 8W-35 for the ABS system

J16 is what i've been calling a splice .. in the 2006 service manual it will be a dot with an "S" as the first character
Since your drawing identifies it as "circuit 30", it's always-powered battery +12v.
I think it's Splice S100 on page 8w-35-5 (based upon brake controller pin numbers)
(but if the fuses have power, it's OK) S100 is under the driver's seat.

8w35-5.png

The "W" numbers are ground points. W27 goes to connector pin 5, so that's G302 in the service manual.
Manual section 8W-91 has *locator maps* for the splices and grounds.
G302 and G100 are near driver's side headlight

8w35-4.png

--dick

Last edited:

Lotus54

Wow! Thanks so much for going to all the work pulling the proper images etc.

I do have the manual, but really appreciate you finding all the relevant sections and posting them.
I’ll check those (especially the main earths)- but with good voltage I’m starting to think it may Be the hydraulic valve. It started after I backed up a gravel parking lot, and the anti-spin kicked in. (Well, it was not too long after that anyway).

Thanks again!

Mark

Lotus54

The ground lines both checked good.
The positive lines both checked good.
(At the ABS pump plug).

Running some ASR tests, the left axel front/left rear switchover valve would always show ‘closed’
But the right axle would always show ‘open’.

I noticed this error after the ASR activated backing up.
I tried the ‘activations’ but no change.

I have not yet tried the ‘exceptional bleeding’ while bleeding the brakes. That is next.

But it is certainly looking like the pump has failed. Darn

Any source suggestions? (I do plan to try the exceptional bleeding’ first- the darn pump is $3k!!!)
I also noticed a tie wrap around the pump that I’m sure it not original - perhaps there has been issues before?

Thanks for all the help.
Mark

Last edited:

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Mark,

I seem to recall reading about previous ABS pump failures and one (or more) of them was attributed to the brushes in the pump wearing out.

I'm not sure if a write up was ever posted on the procedure for replacing the brushes but seem to recall you could remove the pump motor without disturbing the hydraulic side of things.

Can anyone elaborate on my poor memory please?

Keith.

PS try using the Forum search for 'ABS pump' and 'brushes' or similar terms.

Lotus54

Thanks,
I did look at that thread- but the error code was different. I think the pump is working on mine, but a valve is stuck (or the electronics that tells the valve to move is bad).
I’ll double check the pump is working though.

Thanks!

Mark

Lotus54

I got my ABS system fixed.
The hydraulic controller/pump was bad.

Interestingly, it did not have the part the VIN said it was supposed to have installed (I checked with MB). And it appears someone cut into the plastic on the electronics side. I’m thinking it had issues and someone fit the wrong one?

I got the proper one ($$$) and had to ‘peramerterize’ the system to match the equipment.
But all appears to be working great now- the C3 worked fine to do that and also the ‘exceptional bleeding’ in the EPS section to make sure all the air was out. I did pressure bleed.

I’m glad to have the earths cleaned up and done well, I still have a few aftermarket wiring things to clean up a bit that the previous owner fit.
With the cost of the unit, I was certainly glad it solved the problem! Everything did point to a bad unit (after I checked the other possibilities in the manual and suggestions).

Mark

Top Bottom