P2457 Chk Engine Light on 4 cylinder

ENMeyer

I have about 86k miles on my 2016 144 4 cylinder / OM651 and just threw a P2457 check engine light (CEL). Had the code read at Autozone. It shows EGR Cooling System Performance or something like that.

In my readings, it seems that this is common on the 6 cylinder, but not the 4 cylinder. Could be a temp sensor? Dirty EGR cooler? I cleaned an EGR cooler on a Dodge Ram before (PITA). I can't even identify an EGR cooler when I glanced under the hood on the van!

Anyone else have this?

I'm scheduled to drop it at the dealer tomorrow and hope that it's covered under warranty.

ENMeyer

I'm late in getting back into town, so I'll take it in tomorrow morning. Interestingly, the CEL came on after a 1 mile drive down a washboarded out dirt road. Maybe just a loose connector? Broken DPF bracket? Not sure.

ENMeyer

EGR bypass valve is jammed due to soot per dealer. $3200 to replace.

I mostly do long drives and don’t idle. Not sure how it got that bad.

Not under warranty. Crap.

ENMeyer

I stopped in and talked to the tech:

- the computer indicated that soot is likely- valve is still in place, so we won’t know what the actual issue is til it’s removed.
- the valve has an actuator rod and it sticks when fully open
- the cost assumes they’ll have to remove and clean the EGR cooler as well. Looks like the brake booster has to come out to remove the EGR valve
- tech confirmed they’ve never seen this on an OM651 before. Lucky me.

I’m hoping it’s not soot, otherwise I must have a bigger issue going on, right?

I’m not understanding how this isn’t covered under the emissions warranty and will pursue getting it covered under warranty. Wish me luck.

D

Deleted member 50714

I thought emission controls are covered under warranty for 5-years or 100k? EGR is an emission control component. Don't let them hoodwink you. Do you behave a warranty Booklet?

ENMeyer

I thought emission controls are covered under warranty for 5-years or 100k? EGR is an emission control component. Don't let them hoodwink you. Do you behave a warranty Booklet?
Just got home and read the warranty. Page 14 says that the EGR valve is included in the warranty. The service guy at the dealer said something about how the computer tells them how the item failed, and that determines if it's under warranty or not. I find it hard to imagine that replacing the EGR valve isn't under warranty, so I'll call MBZ customer service Monday to push that issue.

My hands are a bit tied at the moment - what do you do when the dealer basically says it's not covered, and you need the darn thing fixed?

dnshaf

I Agree totally. That should be covered. I put 545k on my 4 cyl before I had to touch my EGR/Cooler/Bypass. Even then it wasn't that dirty. It was sticking in extremely cold weather, here in CA I didn't have an issue. The price the Stealer gave is consistent with what I recieved, $1500 for parts and about $1500 for labor. It one of the things that the 4 Cyl is a lot harder to get to. The cooler isn't that bad but to get the rest is a pain. The cooler is easy to see, its behind the power steering pump just below the air filter housing. On the V6 it's a breeze.
I would recommend that you make sure you are not burning Biodiesel over 5%. It's very hard to find plain old ULSD Diesel #2 in many parts of the Country. And most service station employees haven't got a clue whether it is or not. And stickers are often wrong. I use a truck stop app that tells me the current Bio content.
Also, on a side note, CHECK your DPF for cracks and the brackets too. If you were on dirt roads that are washboards, I guarantee something is cracked. That too should be covered!

Also, since you live in Golden, CO make sure to visit Dennis at Linden Engineering, I would have him do all my sprinter work if I lived closer, I'm sure he'd be happy to check it out.

Hope this helps,
Dan

Last edited:
my 2006 ford e350 with the 6.oh powerstroke egr valve clogged on a regular basis and was always covered under warranty.....

just had my dpf replaced on 2015 sprinter at 70,000 miles, under warranty due to cracked flex connector and never been on bumpy road.

lindenengineering

my 2006 ford e350 with the 6.oh powerstroke egr valve clogged on a regular basis and was always covered under warranty.....

just had my dpf replaced on 2015 sprinter at 70,000 miles, under warranty due to cracked flex connector and never been on bumpy road.
The 6,00 litre EGR is always easily cleared with a BG purge. Yes common issue
In fact at the EGR rail has been changed to reduce plugging .

Yes flex failures are fairly common failing at the welded joint aft on the flex. The problem is usually fixed in the aftermarket by installing a new weld in section by Walker or Bosal.
This of course saves the Cat or Cat/ DPF combo which is close to $1000 plus labor.
Job task is usually $300 plus tax out the door expertly welded in by a Mexican welder (called Armando) in my shop !

Since you mention Ford! The worst by far is the flex section on a 6,9 in a PU. To get at it you need to lift the cab. A 16 hours job!
So sick of paying big bucks to fix it, one of my customers has cut a big hole in the bulkhead/firewall of his 18 month old PU covering it with a removable panel. Replacement time is now 2,5 hours! Iowa farm boy fixing methods!!:laughing:
Dennis

ENMeyer

Dealer finished the job. I'm not being charged for the EGR valve, but labor is $2,108.

Anyone care to comment or help me understand why this isn't an emissions warranty item?

I have a message into the GM of the dealership asking for help with this issue.

Last edited:

4wheeldog

2018 144" Tall Revel
Dealer finished the job. I'm not being charged for the EGR valve, but labor is $2,108.

Anyone care to comment or help me understand why this isn't an emissions warranty item?

I have a message into the GM of the dealership asking for help with this issue.

It wasn't covered by the emissions warranty because the owner of the dealership had a boat payment due.

ENMeyer

It wasn't covered by the emissions warranty because the owner of the dealership had a boat payment due.
Quite possibly. :rolleyes:

Confusing situation. Invoice shows:

JOB 1 - remove and replace EGR valve - no charge
JOB 2 - remove/replace fuel filter (I asked for this) - $205
JOB 3 - removed/replace EGR switchover valve flap - $2109 labor, $0 parts
JOB 4 - code P261F71removed/replaced water pump - leaking internally/externally - no charge

I'm going to argue that everything except the fuel filter should be under warranty. To date, they say something to the effect of "it's not covered under warranty and I can't tell you why not". How does a business run this way?

lindenengineering

Well my first query is the labor billable hours?
Assuming Westminster MB is $150/hour then that means about 14 hours of labor.
The standard job time is less! Consequently I would want a break down on the job that consumed around 14 hours and explanation of any supplement applied to the job.?

Next I would get in touch with the zone rep for that dealer ( Westminster MB) and ask if they (dealer) actually asked them for a warranty submission pass off and why was it rejected as a bone fide warranty procedure.

What I was always concerned about as a Zone Rep was "dealer double dipping"!
Where the dealer charges the customer and then submits a warranty claim for the same activity on the factory!
Doing dealer audits every 60 months where the "books" shop financials have to be opened this activity occurs more than you might imagine. More prevalent just before tax time!!!
See what they say and shoot me a full Vin # on the PM system and I will endeavour to get some info on this!:thinking:
Dennis

ENMeyer

Dennis - I think you are on to something.

They initially said I needed to replace my EGR valve due to soot. Not covered under warranty. $3200.

My invoice now says they replaced the EGR valve under warranty with all the part numbers listed and no charge, no labor.

But they also replaced the "EGR switchover valve assembly", but no part numbers are listed and labor was that $2109.

If replacing the EGR valve under warranty required removal of the brake booster, bleeding the brakes, etc. etc. etc., then why did I also get charged that labor to replace the EGR switchover valve when it's in the same place and required the same labor to replace?

lindenengineering

Dennis - I think you are on to something.

They initially said I needed to replace my EGR valve due to soot. Not covered under warranty. $3200.

My invoice now says they replaced the EGR valve under warranty with all the part numbers listed and no charge, no labor.

But they also replaced the "EGR switchover valve assembly", but no part numbers are listed and labor was that $2109.

If replacing the EGR valve under warranty required removal of the brake booster, bleeding the brakes, etc. etc. etc., then why did I also get charged that labor to replace the EGR switchover valve when it's in the same place and required the same labor to replace?
Precisely!!
A bit strange, has piqued my interest !!
Dennis

ENMeyer

So, here's how things ended up:

- EGR valve was covered under warranty. On the 4 cylinder, that involves removal of brake booster, and a bunch of other things. A big job.
- The dealer charged me labor to also replace the "EGR switchover valve flap assembly". About $2100 in labor.
- I challenged them on this cost since replacing the EGR valve required the same labor to remove brake booster, etc. They held their ground, I paid the $$$$ and got my van.
- I was NOT happy, let the service writer know that, and told him I thought they were "double dipping" on the service cost - charging MB corporate for warranty work on the EGR valve and charging me $2100 in labor for the same job.
- The dealer service manager called me about an hour after I left and said he reviewed what was charged and what was done and credited me about $980.

I asked them to let me know the part number for the "EGR switchover valve flap assembly" that I paid for, and they still haven't got back to me on that.

So, I won't go back to this dealer. I think they greedily tried to charge me for labor that's also covered under warranty. I still wonder what this EGR switchover thing is and if they are actually making that up.

I still wonder if the EGR valve was even bad or not. They also said the water pump needed replacement, and covered that under warranty. I never noticed a loss of coolant. I wonder (but don't know for sure) if they were just hunting for things and charging warranty work to MBZ for things that didn't need to be done.

I hate dealers.

Van is back in service, and I'm glad to be done with this issue.

lindenengineering

Doug
You shouldn't cloak all dealers with same cloak!
I have given lots of work to MB Littleton all with very favourable and fair treatment when I have had to with some of my customer's vans (over things like warranty.)

If it's any consolation the fellow you dealt with at that "other place" came from our local Mopar dealer !
Not known for stellar Sprinter service either!:laughing:

Like restaurants they come in all flavours.
And as a parting shot one of the directors I used to report to once said and I quote:-
If the trade could do without dealers I would dump the lot and deal with the customer directly!
But were are stuck with them!

(Yes Mr Tesla) :lol:
Cheers Dennis

Top Bottom