Permanent limp mode, low oil and ESP light ,P0562 P0657

Hello everyone,
I was driving and getting a bit louder engine noise, and then suddenly much more so I checked under the truck and the exhaust had broken, after the catalitic converter at the flex part.
Right after or at the same time I got low oil and ESP light and Permanent limp mode, stacked in 2nd gear, 30m/h max. Oil level is good, and was good, I added 1/2 quart just in case; light comes on and says 2qrts.
I fixed exhaust and cleared codes with odbdII reader but still on limp mode, and ESP light, and P0562 P0657 codes.
ESP light come right up as I start, low oil light comes on a little bit later.
The P0562 is listed as a current fault, the P0657 as a pending fault, using torque pro to scan.

I will be getting my Icarsoft MBII in a day or two, but looking forward to get some ideas on where to get started. the 562 is a low voltage on a sensor circuit so I guess first thing Ill disconnect low oil sensor and see what happens..
thank you,

showkey

A you have not said your location year, model and mileage. That info really helps to get better answers and or even general info.

When the flex joint fails many report wire harness heat damage in that area is possible and common.

Last edited:

lindenengineering

A you have not said your location year, model and mileage. That info really helps to get better answers and or even general info.

When the flex joint fails many report wire harness heat damage in that area is possible and common.
Yes
I suspect you have charbroiled the harness to the transmission plug--quite common.
MB sells new harness with socket for about $175 which makes life easier than replacing wires.
Advise replacing the female socket located in the transmission as well, most likely cooked to medium rare too!
Dennis

Thank you all!,
Sorry 2008 cargo 2500, 151kmiles
I just got my Icarsoft....when I go into ESP, it reports: can signal "accelerator pedal value" invalid. I delete but doesnt go away neither the ESP dash light.
I just got the new toy.
All the wires around downpipe break look in good shape, wires to tranny also, none of them look even mildly damaged.
What kind of test should I do with new icarsoft?
I'll explore more and post again
Thank you!

lindenengineering

Well now the task is to look at the loss of the can signal--you have the path of investigation to go down using your scanner. Now its time to find the fault with a say DVOM. or perhaps a circuit tester.
Dennis

Well now the task is to look at the loss of the can signal--you have the path of investigation to go down using your scanner. Now its time to find the fault with a say DVOM. or perhaps a circuit tester.
Dennis
Can you elaborate a bit more Dennis?
i also have :
- 51C1 "CAN signal 'Actual gear' invalid . in the ESP
- 51A5 "CAN signal 'accelerator pedal value' invalid". in the ESP
- 9301 "Component M16/8 (blending air flap actuator motor) is blocked or has reversed polarity or has Open circuit", in the KLA
- 9028 "The CAN message from control module A1 (Instrument cluster) is invalid or implausible". in the PTC
- 9021 "CAN signal failure". in the PTC
- 2843-0000 and 2306-000, in the CDI$ 6 cylinder
- 0657 "the voltage supply of the valves is faulty. in the EGS

What harness is the can bus and what are the wires I should check with a DVOM? what path of investigation? anyone has an electric diagram out there of the can bus harnesh and what sensors it feeds? I'm new to the Icarsoft....pretty comfortable testing with a dvom or testing light.
FYI, my outdoor temp sensor got ripped off months ago in a fender bender and I never replaced it......it ran fine like that for months,,,, could that influenced the can bus? I know I need to fix it for HVAC to work properly.
Trying to find some electrical diagram to get started,
thank you

Last edited:
Do you have a part number for the transmission wire harness? I can't find it in the manual or anywhere. The merc dealer I called quoted me $750.
Thank you

Yes
I suspect you have charbroiled the harness to the transmission plug--quite common.
MB sells new harness with socket for about $175 which makes life easier than replacing wires.
Advise replacing the female socket located in the transmission as well, most likely cooked to medium rare too!
Dennis

Dynojetfarm

Was this issue ever resolved. Im having an eerily similar problem with my van. One morning after first hard frost went to start and esp and low oil light came on before ever starting. It has correct oil level on the stick. Also have multiple codes P0652 51a5 P2041 P2042 P2306 P2623 P2061 P2062. Any ideas van is a 08 dodge with 183000 miles.

bcislander

'07 Mercedes-badged Dodge
Was this issue ever resolved. Im having an eerily similar problem with my van. One morning after first hard frost went to start and esp and low oil light came on before ever starting. It has correct oil level on the stick. Also have multiple codes P0652 51a5 P2041 P2042 P2306 P2623 P2061 P2062. Any ideas van is a 08 dodge with 183000 miles.
Check the system voltage with the engine running. The voltage should be ~14.0V to 14.2V.
A low system voltage can cause multiple fault codes.
A voltage below 14.0V usually indicates a faulty Y-Cable and/or engine to chassis ground strap.
The original Y-Cable in 2007-2010(?) Sprinters was poorly designed and prone to failure.

Replace the Y-Cable and/or ground strap if the system voltage is below ~14.0V.

A few relevant Y-Cable search results:

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39104

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39438

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63510

Dynojetfarm

Just to rule it out I replaced the y cable but no change. Ground strap looked to be in perfect shape. Battery voltage is 14.2. I checked the 5v reference voltages related to the code 2306(reference voltage low sensor 2), per the manual. The oil sensor wiring checked out as well. When checking the app sensor with a multi meter I got 5v on sensor 1 and appx half on app sensor 2 which seems correct. But when i look at live data using scan tool it shows 0 volts for app sensor 2 voltage and 4.48 volts for sensor 1. I have a active code C11A5 Impluasible Accelerator pedal message received. Can anyone make sense of this.

RunSprocketRun

Just to rule it out I replaced the y cable but no change. Ground strap looked to be in perfect shape. Battery voltage is 14.2. I checked the 5v reference voltages related to the code 2306(reference voltage low sensor 2), per the manual. The oil sensor wiring checked out as well. When checking the app sensor with a multi meter I got 5v on sensor 1 and appx half on app sensor 2 which seems correct. But when i look at live data using scan tool it shows 0 volts for app sensor 2 voltage and 4.48 volts for sensor 1. I have a active code C11A5 Impluasible Accelerator pedal message received. Can anyone make sense of this.
Try creating a bridge with a jumper wire between the ground pin at the back of the sensor to the ECM ground wire of another sensor.

I did that for my boost pressure sensor and the P0069 and P0105 codes that I inherited from the P. O. went away.

It took me over a year to determine that the ground wire for the MAP sensor had a break inside the insulation. Someone at Mercedes who still bears a grudge for World Wars split the wires for the charge pipe sensors (and coolant level sensor) away from the main engine harness.

On T1Ns those sensor wires are bundled with TCM wiring and spliced somewhere dark and scary. Which is why my jumper/bridge is now permanent.

Yvon2470

Hello everyone,
I was driving and getting a bit louder engine noise, and then suddenly much more so I checked under the truck and the exhaust had broken, after the catalitic converter at the flex part.
Right after or at the same time I got low oil and ESP light and Permanent limp mode, stacked in 2nd gear, 30m/h max. Oil level is good, and was good, I added 1/2 quart just in case; light comes on and says 2qrts.
I fixed exhaust and cleared codes with odbdII reader but still on limp mode, and ESP light, and P0562 P0657 codes.
ESP light come right up as I start, low oil light comes on a little bit later.
The P0562 is listed as a current fault, the P0657 as a pending fault, using torque pro to scan.

I will be getting my Icarsoft MBII in a day or two, but looking forward to get some ideas on where to get started. the 562 is a low voltage on a sensor circuit so I guess first thing Ill disconnect low oil sensor and see what happens..
thank you,

Did you ever find the issue I'm having same issue and after many hours still haven't found the problem

Jasey

Same fault 2008 311 here… hard to clear the limp mode.

211D1A25-B683-4503-B6C3-EC80EC754017.jpeg
ver hard to clear the limp mode when switching ignition on and off.
I Get ESP symbol/light and Engine light, then I can hear the noise of the engine change as it Goes into limp mode, then a good few seconds later the Low engine oil beeps once.

The Orange coolant light is also showing in this picture, but as this has been on van since day one of owning it and that none of my garages have ever been able to fix it then it’s probably i
Un related?

Unless someone else on here has the same two faults? Then there could be a link.

I’ve driven hundreds of miles non stop with zero issues then, just out the blue I get a disco on my dashboard :/

hopefully there’s a genius out here who’s got a solution ??

bcislander

'07 Mercedes-badged Dodge
Same fault 2008 311 here… hard to clear the limp mode.

View attachment 218363
ver hard to clear the limp mode when switching ignition on and off.
I Get ESP symbol/light and Engine light, then I can hear the noise of the engine change as it Goes into limp mode, then a good few seconds later the Low engine oil beeps once.

The Orange coolant light is also showing in this picture, but as this has been on van since day one of owning it and that none of my garages have ever been able to fix it then it’s probably i
Un related?

Unless someone else on here has the same two faults? Then there could be a link.

I’ve driven hundreds of miles non stop with zero issues then, just out the blue I get a disco on my dashboard :/

hopefully there’s a genius out here who’s got a solution ??
See my previous post #11 about the system voltage and Y-Cable/Ground strap.

Motul

See my previous post #11 about the system voltage and Y-Cable/Ground strap.
I have a 2008 Sprinter 218 CDI with that exact problem. Y-cable is good. Have dismounted ground strap and cleaned the ends
and where it bolts on. New battery, charging 14 - 14,1 volts. Replaced oil level sensor.. Still have the same problem..

Serge 79

I have the same issue with my 2008 sprinter. Oil level light and ESP. RPM higher than normal, p0652 check engine code.
I had my friend scan the van recently and he said that something related to alternator.
I bought new alternator (not expensive on from Amazon) installed it and esp/oil gone but i got battery light on instead 😁, so I returned alternator and install my old one back. Still have two my old friends - ESP and Oil lights.
I got tied with experiments.
Could somebody help me please?
I can't find anywhere wiring diagram for 2008 dodge sprinter 3500 chassis so I can track every single wire. I know that there is a couple /few 5v circuits but without wire diagram it will be difficult to find and test them also ECM module pins diagram would be a good if somebody can share it with me.
Thank you in advance..

Top Bottom