Door beeper done with, Yea.

It only took me 6 years to finally get rid of the annoying open door beeper on my 06.

I unscrewed and unplugged the four spring loaded buttons, taped up the connectors, and taped them again over the small switch openings, so they would not fall down into the cavity. Success!

I turned the motor on and no new warning lights. Yet? haha Yea. Time will tell if a problem shows up, but in the meantime, I cannot believe it took me so long to do something so easy.

On a non-related improvement, I recently found a brand new larger overhead 12v dual light above the front seats at a resource store for $3. The factory light was so dim as to be irrelevant, even after I changed the bulbs to the brightest LEDs I could find that would fit. The difference is huge. These bulbs are not LEDs and I will be looking for those. The new bulbs are about the size of regular auto taillight bulbs. The switch turns on the drivers side first and then both in conjunction. The light fixture itself is about 5" by 12" and fits between the padded and insulated ceiling shelf panels perfectly. Another plus is there were only two wires from the new fixture, compared to factory light that had around eight. The factory fixture would not work without the key turned on to accessory. This new fixture works without the key.

Such small things can make a difference sometimes. Thanks to all here.

GaryJ

Here since 2006
It only took me 6 years to finally get rid of the annoying open door beeper on my 06.

I unscrewed and unplugged the four spring loaded buttons, taped up the connectors, and taped them again over the small switch openings, so they would not fall down into the cavity. Success!

I turned the motor on and no new warning lights. Yet? haha Yea. Time will tell if a problem shows up, but in the meantime, I cannot believe it took me so long to do something so easy.
There's another way around the annoying door beeper should you for example want to listen to the radio with the doors open. First open a door, then wait about 45 seconds until the mileage, time/temp light goes out on the dash, then you can insert the key and turn it to accessory with no beeping. Not sure about starting the engine. Works on my two 06’s for sure. I'm not sure about other years.

Gary

Thanks guys.

My 06 2500 SHC 158" is a limo from Midwest Auto Designs in Elkhart, Indiana. The front cab overhead light never worked without the key turned on to accessory. ?

I knew about that process of waiting in order to get the beep to shut up, but as soon as another door was opened up somewhere, the beep would return. No more.

One concern is the larger bulbs using the original factory wiring which draw more amps than the original. 18amps or volts maybe, ? or so. I will have to look at that number again. Anyway, I found out there is a LED bulb replacement for the 1141 incandescent bulb, so that should handle any worries about overheating the wiring. Thanks for chiming in.

One thing I forgot to mention was that now the light does not come on automatically once the front doors are opened. There were two orangish wires I did not hook up when connecting the black and the white wires from the fixture to the black and red wires in the ceiling. With the door beeper spring loaded buttons gone, I will have to live it. It is easy enough to reach up and turn the switch on overhead if needed. Gotta love this forum. Invaluable. As someone has pointed out in his sign on, without this site, he would have never bought a Sprinter. I can say the same since I was reading everything I could here for a year before I found mine. Thanks to all here.

Top Bottom