To adjust or not adjust? Carrier Bearing

rvamax

Max/2006T1N/140WB/OM647
Hello All,

I just had a look under my 2006 T1N and noticed that the brace for my carrier bearing looks to be out of alignment. The passenger side is positioned a little farther towards the rear of the vehicle than the driver's side.

I have no idea how old the bearing is, and I've put 17,000 miles on the van with it in the current alignment.

I have RSN that mostly goes away after the transmission warms up.

I am wondering if I might do more damage than good if I try to align the bearing?

I also don't know the procedure for alignment, and didn't see anything clearly laid out in the service manual.

The brace bolt track looks to have about 1cm of movement that I can utilize, but don't know the proper way to align this.

Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks,

Max

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
Once the bearing is placed on the shaft it is self aligning IIRC.
Loosening the bolts will place it back it proper position, if it's twisted from something hitting one side, and retighten

I have no data.

Does it appear to have shifted, or is it as it always has been?

Once the bearing is placed on the shaft it is self aligning IIRC.

I am wondering if I might do more damage than good if I try to align the bearing?

I also don't know the procedure for alignment, and didn't see anything clearly laid out in the service manual.
Until I had absolute assurance that it needs to be mucked with and how to muck it, I would leave well enough alone.

You won't be the first one here on the forum who screws something up on their Sprinter by fixin' what ain't broke.

:2cents: vic

rvamax

Max/2006T1N/140WB/OM647
I have no data.

Does it appear to have shifted, or is it as it always has been?

Until I had absolute assurance that it needs to be mucked with and how to muck it, I would leave well enough alone.

You won't be the first one here on the forum who screws something up on their Sprinter by fixin' what ain't broke.

:2cents: vic
This is the first time I've ever checked it. I've developed a bit of a clunk when shifting into drive, so discovered this when I was under the van looking at the u-joints.

It definitely looks to be out of alignment, albeit slightly. I have no idea if touching it after it has been in this alignment for an undetermined amount of time might screw something up. If it has developed some sort of unique wear due to its current alignment, I don't know if it is better to leave it, or re-align it.

I feel like it's a kind of damned if I do, damned if I don't sort of situation.

I feel like it's a kind of damned if I do, damned if I don't sort of situation.
:idunno:

Only in the absence of a proper procedure. I'd continue to search for that information before disturbing anything. Even if needed, a bit of delay in repair can't be that critical.

:cheers: vic

Top Bottom