2003 Sprinter Turbo Noise

2003T1N

My 2003 started making a loud hard high pitched sound. It changes with rpm and sounds like bearings or metal to metal under pressure. After driving 5 miles it went into Limp Home Mode and started smoking. Restart was still in LHM and smoking, but without noise. Several on/off key cycles got it started with turbo power and smoke, and the harsh noise.

It sounds to me like the turbo is going out. I have searched and found the many LHM articles, with advice to check for air leaks, egr, etc. but none mentioning the noise.

Any advice?

MillionMileSprinter

Millionmilesprinter.com
There are a few different kinds of limp mode. Some of them include deactivating the turbo. If it's making a screeching sound when the vans not in limp mode and then the van goes into limp mode and turbo is shut down and the noise stops, then it's pretty safe to eye the turbo as the culprit. Pull off the big black hose going into the turbo and wiggle the turbo blades. That should give you a more detailed answer.

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
A whistling noise can be just an air leak from the turbo hose connections or hole, and sound like a metal whirr

2003T1N

The turbo blade rocks about 3/8" and 1/8 end play, so I assume it's toast. So is it reasonable to rebuild the turbo myself? R and R looks easy enough. Thanks a lot for the help.

owner

Oz '03 316CDI LWB ex-Ambo Patient Transport
Before you do anything, check for exhaust manifold leaks. Look for telltale black soot at all the joins. At each port coming out of the head. And at the turbo exhaust mating face. There is a metal gasket used, and if there is a leak it can cause the gasket to act like the reed of a musical instrument - producing a high pitched metallic screaming sound. It shouldn't cause limp home, but it would be a shame to throw out a perfectly good turbo if you didn't need to, and the limp was caused by something else..

Last edited:

The calibrated finger wiggle test is not always accurate. Even a good turbo will seem "loose", although 3/8" does sound excessive. Do the blades show evidence of contacting the scroll cage? If yes, that is 100% evidence that the turbo bearing or other parts are wonky.

Good luck.
vic

Top Bottom