Searching for a used main bearing cap #4

Hello,

I am in need of a Main Bearing Cap for #4 Main. Fourth main bearing cap from the front of the engine, it's the cap with the thrust bearings on it... Hoping to find out if someone has a scrap block laying around that they can help me out? The bearing cap I have is from a 2005 OM647.

Probably not the preferred way to piece this engine together, but I have $$ invested in it before finding the damaged cap.

If you have something and can help, PM me and I will get back to you...

Thanks,

slowgsr

I have a scrap block.... It's a 06. Severly spun all the main bearings. I'm unsure of the main caps are even salvagable

lindenengineering

I can fix you up with a cap!
BUT!!!!
You will need to line bore the tunnel.
The reason is although MB's have good tolerance adhesion there will be some dimensional differences in 1/100 of a mm.

In any case if the crank has spun bearings there is a strong likelihood that all the caps are
"Hump" shaped if you put a comparator through the cap and the tunnel.

Normally its #2 cap that goes first and the fit at the cap foot is not a tight fit within the block parent step. This fit is essential to ensure correct shell alignment on the respective crank pin.
So each and every engine i overhaul where the crank has seized has a line bore cut through the block tunnel to ensure build accuracy and conformity to MB specs within the block.
Do you have a competent machinist near you?
Dennios

Thanks Dennis,

I've sent you a PM...

It appears that only #4 has spun, and it's cap is as you call it "Hump" shaped. Crank ground .010" with new bearings and #4 cap is the only problem child. Align Bore is expected...

lindenengineering

Just an update on this for anyone following this thread.
After going through a pile of blocks I did find a serviceable #4 cap.
Sold to the man for $25, its on it way by USPS as I write this

As for the $25 Linden has matched it 100-% so 50 bucks is going to Mercy Ships since Tim the buyer, has no preference as to his favorite charity.
https://www.mercyships.org/

By the way technically speaking.
If you are rebuilding your engine DO NOT forget to use NEW bolts for both rods and block caps.
Although a bit difficult to obtain from dealers I/We have plenty in stock since we re-work the 5 cylinder quite often.
Dennis

Gaspiper

Hey Dennis , so what causes those 5 burners to go tits up besides lack of oil changes anyway ?

Cheers
Mason

lindenengineering

By far the most problems are caused overheating.
Ostensibly neglect of the cooling system.
The other is over fueling caused by bad injectors which wash cylinders bores.

Other than that apart from the occasional exhaust timing gear disintegration the engine will go a 1,000,000 miles!
Its my favourite MB engine by far.

On par with the 300 TDI Land Rover engine.

T1N vans are a brilliant piece of kit.
I would drive anywhere in one of those!
Dennis

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
T1N vans are a brilliant piece of kit.
I would drive anywhere in one of those!
Dennis
Yes sir. I am beating my T1N all over the southern hemisphere currently. It hasn't let us down.

Overheating prevention requires regular checkups. If any of the cooling system parts or belt drive drops below spec, it only a matter of time. Just replace it all every 100k miles!

Top Bottom