2008 Sprinter GDE Install

kiganagolfer

Purchased my 08 sprinter HT 170" last June with 104K on it to use it for a Moto Hauler and camper rather than a toyhauler/truck. It now has 122K of fun miles on it with trips from TN to FL, PA, and to CO. A few racing buddies both have the GDE tunes on their Sprinters and nothing but good things to say along with most sprinter-forum users on here t hat have performed reviews. So I decided to try it out. Had a hiccup during the install and had to repeate the process twice for some reason but once it did install correctly the van did start up easier and seemed to idle smoothly. In the cab I felt the engine noise became a smal bit more "tingy" but perhaps that's normal. I've had the tune on for about 5-10 tanks now with a definate increase in MPG. In East TN our weather has been crazy for the past couple months so one day its 70F and the next is 30F. However, I've been getting about 18 mpg during the winter months. Since the tune was installed, I've been getting a solid 2.5-4mpg depending on how much I can keep my foot out of it. I've averaged 22mpg driving around 72mph so far with the tune.

Now the question becomes to delete or not the DPF since I don't get smog tested...

Rob S

2018 Navion 24G IQ on 2016 Sprinter
Your DPF should actually last longer with the tune, due to cleaner combustion, and it is a big factor to reducing emissions with minimal problems associated, so in the interest of the environment, I would keep that until it fails, which they can go as high as 200-250k miles.

You will find your engine oil also stays MUCH cleaner with the GDE tune, mine became very noticeable after the second oil-change once most of the sludge was flushed out.

Uragan

So with dpf delete, ctalyc converter stays?
Why ask because catalyc converter has similar as dpf honeycomb like ceramic stuff.

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
So with dpf delete, ctalyc converter stays?
Why ask because catalyc converter has similar as dpf honeycomb like ceramic stuff.
The cat has a similar structure but the difference is that the DPF has an element that is much less porous (can filter down to the sub-micron level) than a cat converter, which is why a DPF needs to be regenerated frequently and a cat converter never does. Cat converter technology has evolved to the point that they last a very long time and have virtually no effect on vehicle performance, so there's no real point in removing them other than to needlessly increase emissions.

NNGVan

2008 3500 Custom Uplift
Purchased my 08 sprinter HT 170" Now the question becomes to delete or not the DPF since I don't get smog tested...
Did you ever get this done? I'm getting error codes on my DPF and can't force a regen. I'm looking at replacing $650ish plus install costs. I've learned I can not do this work myself as the ECU needs to be re-trained or something. Dealer is quoting $$$$ which is almost as much as I paid for the van total.

flman

Roadrunner, Genius of Birds ALWAYS WINS! NO FAILS!
Did you ever get this done? I'm getting error codes on my DPF and can't force a regen. I'm looking at replacing $650ish plus install costs. I've learned I can not do this work myself as the ECU needs to be re-trained or something. Dealer is quoting $$$$ which is almost as much as I paid for the van total.
Buy an Xentry SDS clone, and you can do the work including force a regen yourself. Look over in the Scanners sub forum.

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=205

Or get the GDE tune, and delete it.

lindenengineering

This depends upon the law in your state and the condition of sale.
In Colorado the law states that the seller MUST provide you with a legal valid recent test certificate if a used vehicle.
CADA & the State accepts that dealers don't have time to take vehicle to test stations ( i don't know why??) So you are given a voucher to pay for the test. If it fails you take the rig back for them to put it right. OR give you your money back.

In your case it seems from your narrative you have been sold a non compliant (tampered with) Fed mandated emissions controlled vehicle.
If you didn't accept this or under the impression that you are buying a fully complaint vehicle you may have grounds for action.
Best advise is to consult an attorney.
As a footnote when will Americans working in the vehicle repair business learn to weld properly??, Humbug!
Soldadura frijoles Gringos
Now you know why I employ Mexicans to do this !--They are trained to weld properly!:cry:
Dennis

Last edited:

lindenengineering

Yes I have seen and observed it!!!
What a bloody mess!
First:-
The introduced pipe is welded "somewhat" to the bulb crimp of the flex pipe on the CAt , that is S/S.
The pipe is MS, two very dissimilar steels and they don't weld properly or easily.

Second
Lack of job planning. It begs the question why didn't the dumbass who did that simply detach the DPF (it's only a filter after all ) at the slip joint?
Then telescope in the elimination pipe deleting the ball end perhaps or joint it to the new elimination pipe and clamp it like normal thinking people might do. The pipe used for the elimination selection as i see it is too small a diameter in any case!
It most likely will imposes a restriction as I observe it, of flow through the system upstream at full power .
I bet a rudimentary test using U tube manometer at the turbo will show that its more than 12" H20--Read Expensive trouble ahead upstream in the long term!
Furthermore a dealer if de-converting it will now specify a new Cat assy which comes with the flex pipe. That is $990 plus 5 hours labor time to add to the job if its going to go back to being compliant.
If the Cat is good I would be welding in a new flex section myself or be using a Mexican skilled welder (he has LLoyds certifications from a Mexico City tech college)
Replacement flex Pipe $100, weld activity charge $150.

To conclude !
A total lack of professional work for the whole world to see!
Really its a microcosm of what ails the USA auto repair industry--dumasses at work in many areas to the detriment of the vehicle in the long term. Customer thinks he is getting a deal !!
Paying for crap work and I bet he wanted some big bucks for that when he should have been paid in fender washers !

A lack of training & carelessness demonstrated both in welding, fab work, gas flow knowledge and vehicle product knowledge as a whole . Two thumbs down:thumbdown::thumbdown:
And of course judging by the amount of soot coating the underside of the van its leaking billowing out all over the place and filling the van up with toxic gases.:censored:
Jeez it makes me realize that the US is desperate for trained skilled workers--bloody amateurs at work!
Sorry! Shaking my head for the sub standard work
Dennis

Last edited:

lindenengineering

Well was it a certified MB used vehicle having passed the "32 point quality" inspection routine???
Or!
Was it on the cheapo list out back destined for the trade auctions or make us an offer to take!!!
Pass my palm with sliver shekels thing and lets take chance on being robbed over the deal!!!
Dennis

NNGVan

2008 3500 Custom Uplift
Well was it a certified MB used vehicle having passed the "32 point quality" inspection routine???
Or!
Was it on the cheapo list out back destined for the trade auctions or make us an offer to take!!!
Pass my palm with sliver shekels thing and lets take chance on being robbed over the deal!!!
Dennis
I got it from an "authorized" MB Used car lot they had something like 300 cars and this van was causing an eye sore. They didn't have a lift for it so sold it AS/IS. Not sure if I have a case, but the local MB dealer down here is going to fix that one issue for parts only. I have about 6k worth of other repairs, some they'll do some I'll do. The biggest issue that is getting fixed is the oil leak. More to come in my original thread as to not hijack this one.

lindenengineering

I got it from an "authorized" MB Used car lot they had something like 300 cars and this van was causing an eye sore. They didn't have a lift for it so sold it AS/IS. Not sure if I have a case, but the local MB dealer down here is going to fix that one issue for parts only. I have about 6k worth of other repairs, some they'll do some I'll do. The biggest issue that is getting fixed is the oil leak. More to come in my original thread as to not hijack this one.
OK got the idea "as is"
So wazzup with the oil leak????
Oil cooler in the valley??? :thinking:
Dennis

lindenengineering

If you are going to de-convert the rig back to standard you will need a core DPF.
This core has a value of $350 when taken in as a core exchange .
I have one used take off core unit valued at $100.

If interested let me know I can even get you a new DPF using that core making a total cost of $650 plus the $100 core hence $750.
The $100 will not go to swell Linden's coffers, rather support Mercy Ships who are about to embark on yet another medical mercy voyage to the Cameroon and Guinea .
$100 buys a cataract eye surgical procedure or a cleft palate repair for a little kid.
Let me know.
Dennis
Here is the late Nelson Mandela talking about Mercy Ships:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_GKK21KK7Q

NNGVan

2008 3500 Custom Uplift

kiganagolfer

No, I didn't. I don't plan on eliminating it until I start to have problems with it. The van was 122k miles on it so I suspect before I hit 200K I might have to eliminate it, but who knows.

Still been rocking the van out with the tune and loving it... loaded down with 5 people running 80mph and at least 1K lbs of gear across country the worst I've gotten was 18 and been averaging 20mpg with some highs of 22 when on flat ground without wind sticking to 70-72 mph. :thumbup:

Top Bottom