fuel filter issues - ready to give up!

Pat118

2003 T1N OM612

so i had to replace some of my fuel hoses recently and once i was ready to prime the low pressure pump i found that there was nothing i could do to eliminate air bubbles coming from the filter into the clear fuel hose.

i even removed the supply line and connected my vacuum pump directly to it and got a clean flow of diesel. i primed the filter and the supply line and reattached everything i continue to get air bubbles from the filter.

the filter is new (<1,000 miles) so it should be fine, unless i've just manhandled it too much by taking supply line on and off and somehow broke a seal? also, now matter how hard i try i can't seem to be able to open the bleed valve.

i'm about ready to tow it to my trusted mechanic, but thought i'd make one last effort on here to see if anyone can advise.

i could also bite the bullet and buy a new filter and just see what happens...

i should add, i didn't replace o-rings on any voss connectors, just used a liberal amount of silicone grease when reattaching.

AND... maybe the water sensor o-rings need to be replaced... is that a common place from which the filter takes on air?

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't give up yet! :thumbup:

Personally before towing it to a mechanic several O rings or even better another new OEM filter with O rings seems like the best way to go. If it's not the filter you'll have a spare for the future.

D

Deleted member 50714

NEVER GIVE UP! ATTACK, ATTACK AND ATTACK SOME MORE!

Eric Experience

Pat.
Please do not use any sealant on the O rings, sealant can migrate to the injectors causing havoc. You say you replaced some fuel lines, did you notice the hose going into the filter is a different diameter at each end? If you try to use a parallel hose you have to heat shrink on the smaller diameter to get it to seal. Eric.

Pat118

Pat.
Please do not use any sealant on the O rings, sealant can migrate to the injectors causing havoc. You say you replaced some fuel lines, did you notice the hose going into the filter is a different diameter at each end? If you try to use a parallel hose you have to heat shrink on the smaller diameter to get it to seal. Eric.
For da record

I used silicone grease as per numerous recommendations throughout this forum.

I used an oem supply line hose that takes a 13mm clamp on the tank side and a 15mm clamp on the filter side.

So I don’t think it’s a seal issue—only getting bubbles from the filter, not the supply line.

Personally I wouldn't mix silicone in with my fuel parts. Maybe some Vaseline or light grease if lube is needed. I have no data.

There is a thread that suggests installing a fuel filter that doesn't have the WIF capability = less leak points. Maybe install one of those to see if the issues go away.

Never give up. Never surrender.

vic

Top Bottom