Hard start on our 2015 3.0L

Flagster

Yesterday after about two weeks of sitting I went to start our van and experienced a hard/stuttering start up almost what I would describe as a fuel starve.

50 degrees here in the AM in Tucson
no other lights/normal startup after about 10-15 seconds of cranking/sputtering
drove fine the rest of the day

Had a similar symptom about a year ago right after startup with loss of power/rpms for 5-10 seconds while driving slow out of the driveway...
Right at 36K miles so ready for the B service...thinking fuel filter or egr was stuck?
Thanks
Matt

sailquik

Flagster
Did you wait for the glow plug symbol to come on then go out indicating that the glow plugs were fully up
to cold start temperature?
Even @ 50 deg. F (not really very cold in comparison to other places that are below freezing) if you turn the key to the
2nd position (where all the warning lights come on, then go off, and wait until your electric fuel booster pump (in the fuel
tank) quits pumping and the glow plug light/symbol indicates the glow plugs are fully up to cold start temperature your
Sprinter should start normally without any sputtering.
If you do not follow the above cold soaked engine starting protocol, your engine could be both starved for fuel (not enough
fuel pump cycle time) and without the glow plugs up to temp to ignite the fuel when it's injected into cold cylinders.
It's important to do the full protocol, and ensure that all the pre-start conditions are met BEFORE engaging the starter.
Roger

Old Crows

Calypso 2014 View Profile
Was running fine when shut down. Happened a year ago. Sits for 2 weeks. 50F ambient.

How old is the battery? A duff battery will be seriously sucked down with engine management computers, fuel pump(s) and glow plugs engaged = slower crank speed & potential mis-fire or no fire in a compression ignition engine. Aside from suspecting a fuel delivery problem, everything really depends on having a red hot battery.

Last edited:

Flagster

Thanks for the info. I will check the battery. I do follow the glow lights out starting procedure but might have spaced that morning...can't remember...
Thanks again.
Matt

Top Bottom