Sprinter life expectancy

Vermont

I don’t have a sprinter yet, but spend more time on this forum than is probably healthy. I’ve been soaking it all in in anticipation of finding a used sprinter of my own. I want to do a nice custom camper van build and am trying to balance the initial cost of the van with the potential investment in the build.

I’ve seen several listings where the seller claims that the engine is the “famous 500,000 mile Mercedes-Benz engine!” (They usually have a van with high mileage). I’ve rarely see used sprinters for sale much more than 250,00 miles, and never seen one that had more than 350,000 miles. So I’m curious, assuming standard maintenance, what is the realistic mileage life span of Sprinter?

D

Deleted member 50714

IMHO, a vehicle properly and regularly maintained and competently repaired should last indefinitely. Unfortunately, most vehicle's are neglected.

NOx

Last edited by a moderator:

Rob S

2018 Navion 24G IQ on 2016 Sprinter
I've read of many which have surpassed 500k, but if you had such a thing, would YOU sell it???

No, you'd keep it hoping to reach 1 million.

This means of course that the well-maintained ones are only rarely found for sale.

I've only got a measly 105k on my 08 Navion, so just a baby yet.

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
When vehicles get up into the 300k+ mileage range it can be pretty tough to sell them (at anything other than a giveaway price) so it often ends up being a 'the vehicle is worth more to me than anyone else' from the seller's perspective and that might be why you don't see many listed. Also by that mileage sometimes body or chassis problems make the vehicle uneconomical to repair even if the drivetrain is still in decent shape.

Maintenance, done properly, is expensive.

I am frequently told by those interested in vanlife that they want to by an older Sprinter, because they're "industrial vehicles" designed to go 500k miles.

Well, yeah, sure, they can. Just get ready to pay for all of the items that need replacing along the way. Likely starting with the exhaust system.

The better investment at that point is a new vehicle. I got my high roof for $35k with 7k miles on it from the dealer. It will go to 150k without major repair. And I can sell it at that point for $18k. That's good value.

But for the person who bought it at $18k? Not a good value at all. They should have bought a $35k van. Which becomes a $17k van after they sell it.

Maintenance is what it is. It's expensive. But it's a lot less expensive on a new vehicle.

So to answer the original question: a Sprinter can go indefinitely, if you continue to maintain it indefinitely.

oilhammer

I service cars and light trucks professionally. ANY vehicle can be made to last "indefinitely" if it is cared for properly, not crashed beyond a reasonable ability to be repaired, or rot away into its basic elements. It is a myth to think the numbers in the odometer have anything to do with some made up finite number of usable service life. The car I drive every day, 100 miles a day, has currently 536k miles and is 18 years old. I'd hop in it today and drive it across the country worry free. Because it is in good order, because it is a good car and I keep it that way.

Some will require more TLC than others, and some will be less forgiving for neglect than others.

As far as Sprinters, we regularly see some in here with over 250k miles that not only still run and drive good, but still look good too. And even a few with over 500k miles. And many of these are fleet vehicles that get treated pretty rough or at least not "babied". The ones that are owned by private individuals are often nicer (cleaner) and will obviously be in nicer condition as time goes on.

Some tips for keeping something in good order, especially if you buy it new:

Clearcoat everything underneath that you can get to. All the nuts, bolts, brackets, axles, control arms, everything... clearcoat it. Do it when it is BRAND NEW, and it will keep everything looking nicer for longer, and will help down the road if something needs to be serviced.

Undercoat areas that may need some extra protection, especially areas you cannot easily see. In some cases, this means taking wheels off and removing plastic fender liners, etc. I use Flex Seal, as it actually works better than even the nicer canned undercoats like Wurth. Do not plug up any drain holes, but get it everywhere you can. It is also a great sound deadener. Drop the spare tire down and do up above that too. Clearcoat the insides of the wheels while you have them off, then once dry shoot some spray wax on them. It keeps mud, dirt, salt, ice, debris from sticking too them too. No out of balance wheels caused by a chunk of ice stuck on the wheels if it cannot stick!

Wax all the painted surfaces. Everywhere. Inside and out, anywhere you can. Door jams, seat pedestals, kick panels, everywhere. Don't forget the roof. Pain I know, but do it now while you can, it will make washing much easier and stuff won't be as likely to stick to it.

WD40 periodically, especially in winter. Stuff works great, keeps things protected, won't hurt anything. Just keep it away from the brake friction surfaces.

Maintain it by the book, and then some. Keep fluids topped up and changed when necessary. Don't neglect the brake fluid.

Use the parking brake, BEFORE you put the transmission in Park. Let the weight of the vehicle rest on the brake, not on the park pawl. And keep the parking brake mechanism underneath lubed. You'd be amazed how nice and tight the gear selector linkage is even half a million miles later when it has never been used to yank a tiny chunk of metal out from underneath the weight of a giant van resting on it.

Look things over periodically. Overlooked items like one-way alternator clutch pulleys or seeping power steering reservoirs can eventually cause a much bigger problem if neglected.

Be an advocate for your vehicle, and it will last a good long time. While my Sprinter is only a baby at two years old, I can show you my 1991 Jetta and 1996 F150 that darn near look as good as they did when they were new. Care works, and will cost you less money in the long run.

lindenengineering

I am frequently told by those interested in vanlife that they want to by an older Sprinter, because they're "industrial vehicles" designed to go 500k miles.

Well, yeah, sure, they can. Just get ready to pay for all of the items that need replacing along the way. Likely starting with the exhaust system.

The better investment at that point is a new vehicle. I got my high roof for $35k with 7k miles on it from the dealer. It will go to 150k without major repair. And I can sell it at that point for $18k. That's good value.

But for the person who bought it at $18k? Not a good value at all. They should have bought a $35k van. Which becomes a $17k van after they sell it.

Maintenance is what it is. It's expensive. But it's a lot less expensive on a new vehicle.

So to answer the original question: a Sprinter can go indefinitely, if you continue to maintain it indefinitely.
Just a question.
Did you pay cash for this van or buy it on terms?
If you bought it on terms with a loan there must be an interest cost factor in the equation somewhere!
Have you taken that into account on your cost evaluation including the extra insurance cost often demanded by finance/ institutions ?

Of course this might sound a bit hackney but in formal school as a teen a series of lectures by a senior banker mentioned:-
"Do not finance a depreciating asset! That is a foolish thing to do with your hard earned money"!

Never forgotten it and have never financed a vehicle purchase.
Dennis

oilhammer

I paid cash for mine, too. I agree, paying interest on something that depreciates is not the best thing to do, but in some cases folks find that is what works for them.

I save my pennies. That's why I drive diesels, LOL.

racerrrx

This subject is a matter of perspective, and the above is the polar opposite of mine... I don't see replacing the exhaust system as a huge expense (or an alternator, or belts, hoses or a dozen other things that may need attention every 100K or so). No way could I spend $35K on an occasional use vehicle, and I don't see how your projected cost of ownership (143K of use for $18K) is a "good investment". I'm a proud "bottom feeder" with an '06 that I bought for not much money at 370K. I'm at about 397K now, the biggest expense has been an alternator that I swapped out myself with the help of this forum. Right now I could probably sell it for what I have into it, or I could drive it into the ground and not shed too many tears if it's scrap at 500K. It helps (A LOT) that the previous owner was an active forum member/Sprinter mechanic who addressed several of the major potential issues for me. My take on Sprinters in general is- unless you can afford new with a warranty, it's an "educated crapshoot" whether you buy one with 50K or 250K.

sprint2freedom

2008 NCV3 170ext
This subject is a matter of perspective, and the above is the polar opposite of mine...
The wonderful thing about markets is that one man's trash is another man's treasure- and it doesn't necessarily mean that either man is foolish. Each has his own's strengths and constraints.

showkey

Life expectancy is based on how much you want to spend ?

The are at least 5 of these how much you want to spend questions on the forum when it comes to engine repairs...........now here’s one on fixing emissions

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63937

So it’s more about ROI and not the actual vehicle.

Maybe the difference is with the Sprinter...........the question of ROI is being asked before 5 years of use and often at lower mileage ( below 150,000) miles.

PS.......this how much you want to spend is not just a Sprinter question.........it applies to all vehicles and your wash machine too.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 50714

I try to repair most things. For example, the flammable vapor sensor went kaput on the water heater. No surprise since the wife splashed it with water. The part was still under warranty and a piece of cake to install. Average house call around here for a plumber is $85.

danski0224

I don’t have a sprinter yet, but spend more time on this forum than is probably healthy. I’ve been soaking it all in in anticipation of finding a used sprinter of my own. I want to do a nice custom camper van build and am trying to balance the initial cost of the van with the potential investment in the build.

I’ve seen several listings where the seller claims that the engine is the “famous 500,000 mile Mercedes-Benz engine!” (They usually have a van with high mileage). I’ve rarely see used sprinters for sale much more than 250,00 miles, and never seen one that had more than 350,000 miles. So I’m curious, assuming standard maintenance, what is the realistic mileage life span of Sprinter?
If you live where salt or brine is used, odds are that a 2012 or older Sprinter will rust out before the driveline will fail. Having owned 2 Dodge branded Sprinters, T1N and NCV3, those are probably the worst.

Mercedes made improvements in 2013, so I sure hope that those fare better as I have a 2015 and don't plan on buying another (cost, not due to other issues).

D

Deleted member 50714

If you live where salt or brine is used, odds are that a 2012 or older Sprinter will rust out before the driveline will fail. Having owned 2 Dodge branded Sprinters, T1N and NCV3, those are probably the worst.

Mercedes made improvements in 2013, so I sure hope that those fare better as I have a 2015 and don't plan on buying another (cost, not due to other issues).
Considering the numerous undercarriage electrical connectors, it may be prudent to apply a good glob of dielectric grease to each? Just a thought.

NOx just trying to be helpful.

danski0224

Considering the numerous undercarriage electrical connectors, it may be prudent to apply a good glob of dielectric grease to each? Just a thought.
I have had mine treated with Corrosion Free, which is safe to apply to wires and rubber parts.

I have a few cans for immediate touch ups, otherwise the application gets renewed every 18 months.

3rdGen2019

I have had mine treated with Corrosion Free, which is safe to apply to wires and rubber parts.

I have a few cans for immediate touch ups, otherwise the application gets renewed every 18 months.
is it recommended to avoid shooting used oil or anti-rust oil under the entire sprinter and inside the doors etc ?

danski0224

is it recommended to avoid shooting used oil or anti-rust oil under the entire sprinter and inside the doors etc ?
I wouldn't use used motor oil.

There are several commercially available "rustproofing" compounds including Fluid Film, Krown and Corrosion Free.

Some are suitable for application to rubber and/or electrical connections. Corrosion Free is one.

Fluid Film and Corrosion Free are available as DIY install kits.

Mine was treated fully underneath and inside the doors through the weepholes. Sometimes, holes need to be drilled (but not for mine).

4wheeldog

2018 144" Tall Revel
For the last several decades, I have changed vehicles when my needs changed, not because the vehicles were worn out.
300k is achievable for any reasonably well designed car or truck. I have an '00 4runner with 270k on it that is perfect except for a few parking lot dings.
No leaks, no oil consumption.........And the original clutch, just for bragging rights.
I expect my remaining lifespan will be shorter than the lifespan of the Sprinter I have on order.
I would anticipate 25/30k a year. I am 66. I doubt I have more than 15 years of driving a rig like that left.

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
I expect my remaining lifespan will be shorter than the lifespan of the Sprinter I have on order.
I would anticipate 25/30k a year. I am 66. I doubt I have more than 15 years of driving a rig like that left.
Sad but true but for many of us our Sprinter's lifespan could exceed our own, or at least the length of time we will be driving it.

Top Bottom