The first service

I have a 2016 Sprinter RV which unfortunately we haven't hardly been able to use so its mostly been in storage. The vehicle has 5,000 miles on it and I'd like to get the oil changed and have whatever else done that they do. Probably 5000 miles doesn't justify an oil change but two years does. My problem is that the two Mercedes Sprinter dealers within 100 miles aren't working out. One dealer is scheduled one month out and the other doesn't answer their phone. In two weeks I'm heading from northern Wisconsin to New Mexico one way or the other and wonder if anyone can recommend a good Sprinter dealer along the way. And one more question.... I have two new containers of DEF in my garage. My garage regularly gets below 0 degrees. The containers say to NOT let the DEF freeze. Do I now have two new containers of junk?

Thanks a bunch

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
Any decent garage can do a Sprinter oil change. It is very easy. Just make sure they use the proper oil and keep the receipts. After two years, you are also due for a brake fluid flush (which is not part of the "A" service).

You could also look for a Freightliner dealer. They often operate on a "no appointment" basis. Ours (surprisingly) is more expensive than our local dealer, though.

Any decent garage can do a Sprinter oil change. It is very easy. Just make sure they use the proper oil and keep the receipts. After two years, you are also due for a brake fluid flush (which is not part of the "A" service).

You could also look for a Freightliner dealer. They often operate on a "no appointment" basis. Ours (surprisingly) is more expensive than our local dealer, though.
Agree on the Freightliner option except that I'd like to go to a dealer for the first service under warranty.

Freightliner shops ARE dealers. They are owned by MB and are fully authorized to do warranty work.
Great, then I'll be able to talk with them about purchasing the MB extended warranty! Now, to find a Freightliner shop that will work on my RV ;-)

jrober

Not sure where you live but I can get my Sprinter in to the Freightliner dealer in Eau Claire for service anytime including evenings and weekends (open for the truckers). The best thing I ever did was buy my Sportsmobile Sprinter from my local Freightliner Dealer.

Not sure where you live but I can get my Sprinter in to the Freightliner dealer in Eau Claire for service anytime including evenings and weekends (open for the truckers). The best thing I ever did was buy my Sportsmobile Sprinter from my local Freightliner Dealer.
Thanks a bunch! I live over in Menomonie so Eau Claire is 25 min away. Can't remember seeing the Freightliner dealer but I'll find out. Do you think their work bays are tall enough for a 11 foot tall RV? And long enough for a 25 foot unit?

Thanks again, Bob

D

Deleted member 50714

I have a 2016 Sprinter RV which unfortunately we haven't hardly been able to use so its mostly been in storage. The vehicle has 5,000 miles on it and I'd like to get the oil changed and have whatever else done that they do. Probably 5000 miles doesn't justify an oil change but two years does. My problem is that the two Mercedes Sprinter dealers within 100 miles aren't working out. One dealer is scheduled one month out and the other doesn't answer their phone. In two weeks I'm heading from northern Wisconsin to New Mexico one way or the other and wonder if anyone can recommend a good Sprinter dealer along the way. And one more question.... I have two new containers of DEF in my garage. My garage regularly gets below 0 degrees. The containers say to NOT let the DEF freeze. Do I now have two new containers of junk?

Thanks a bunch
Howdy. Every person's abilities very widely. If you have done oil changes before the Sprinter is not much different. There's not much to an "A" service. Except for the engine oil and filter change, most of the items are visual checks and fluid-top off's.

Here are service documents provided by Sprintguy.

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60763

Happy Sprintering,
NOx

Last edited by a moderator:

Moto Vita

Howdy. Every person's abilities very widely. If you have done oil changes before the Sprinter is not much different. There's not much to an "A" service. Except for the engine oil and filter change, most of the items are visual checks and fluid-top off's.

Here are service documents provided by Sprintguy.

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60763

Happy Sprintering,
NOx
I also have a 2016 Sprinter/RV and the schedule you linked to has some significant differences from the maintenance schedule in the manual.

Moto Vita

Please share?
Without getting my manual out there are two things that stand out.
1- There is no mention of one or two year elapsed time intervals for routine service in my manual.
2- Transmission service is specified in my manual at first B service regardless of mileage or elapsed time.

D

Deleted member 50714

1- There is no mention of one or two year elapsed time intervals for routine service in my manual.
2- Transmission service is specified in my manual at first B service regardless of mileage or elapsed time.
As our esteemed resident and well respected forum Sprinter Guru DENNIS pointed out a few years ago. Consumers must realize there exist two opposing forces within the automobile manufacturing industry, marketing and engineering. Presumably, marketing is the source of the book you reference. Whereas, the service sheets, presumably, come from engineering. Now, where I grew-up a presumption is considered FACT until proven otherwise. Time must be considered because acids can form in engine oil. I assume most MB owner's Doctors, lawyers etc, for prestige, probably don't keep their vehicles longer than a couple years, so 20,000 OCI's are of no consequence.

Ask yourself, what preventive maintenance regime would you consider BEST for your vehicle?

Notice the coordinate conjunction "Or?" That means 20,000 miles OR 1-year.

Attachments

D

Deleted member 50714

I wish to acquaint you to the "Holy grail" of MB engineering "Service Information" publications which, essentially, for cover their arse purposes, countradictive. Read very carefully because of German to English translation is easily subject to mis-interpretation. Particularly, "Except CODE (ZL3) National Version for Latin America." From what I can ascertain, code ZL3 is a non-Bluetec engine presumably not equipped with a DPF or Adblue system, thus not subject to this publication.

Presumably, this document applies to all 906 models beginning with model year 2007. Notice, depending on operating conditions, oil change intervals can be reduced to as low as 3,000+ miles irrespective (regardless) of ASSYST calculations.

Consumers must be alert to marketing schemes designed to provide a false sense of security.

I have no financial "skin in the game" for advocating reduced oil change intervals. I am only trying to help my Sprinter brothers and sisters understand by separating facts from opinions by presenting genuine Mercedes Benz supporting documentation.

Caveat emptor my brother.

Ciao,

NOx

Attachments

Moto Vita

I wish to acquaint you to the "Holy grail" of MB engineering "Service Information" publications which, essentially, for cover their arse purposes, countradictive. Read very carefully because of German to English translation is easily subject to mis-interpretation. Particularly, "Except CODE (ZL3) National Version for Latin America." From what I can ascertain, code ZL3 is a non-Bluetec engine presumably not equipped with a DPF or Adblue system, thus not subject to this publication.

Presumably, this document applies to all 906 models beginning with model year 2007. Notice, depending on operating conditions, oil change intervals can be reduced to as low as 3,000+ miles irrespective (regardless) of ASSYST calculations.

Consumers must be alert to marketing schemes designed to provide a false sense of security.

I have no financial "skin in the game" for advocating reduced oil change intervals. I am only trying to help my Sprinter brothers and sisters understand by separating facts from opinions by presenting genuine Mercedes Benz supporting documentation.

Caveat emptor my brother.

Ciao,

NOx
Just tellin ya what the book sez.
It seems you didn't pick up on the fact that my manual calls for more frequent, or at least earlier, transmission service than the pages you linked to.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 50714

Just tellin ya what the book sez.
It seems you didn't pick up on the fact that my manual calls for more frequent, or at least earlier, transmission service than the pages you linked to.
Brother, not intending to be disrespectful and not implying it ain't true but I have been trained to negotiate only with facts. When convenient post a picture?

Top Bottom