Intro and duelly question

Hi everyone. I've been looking for a Sprinter for a while....like a lot of people here I guess....and one came up in my area that could work. Like a lot of people, I want to make it a camper, dirt bike hauler ala Sportsmobile style, but maybe without quite as much interior stuff.

The one I found is a 2005 Sprinter 3500 lwb, with dual rear wheels. Now, this is the first Sprinter I've seen with these. Not sure I like the idea of extra wheels to change, and the enevitable hassle to change them if you do get a flat, but is there any other downside? Think the mileage would be a lot worse? A 2500 would work fine for me, but I _never_ see what I'm looking for around here. I figured the 3500 is at a good price, and could work.

My biggest reservation, in addition to the duel wheels, is there is an aftermarket hitch installed. Looks like they did a nice job with it and all, but the fact that it has a brake controller in the cab makes me wonder how much towing it did. Too risky?

Leaning lots reading lots reading this site! Bummed that a really nice stereo install looks to require a LOT of work. Nothing is perfect I guess.

sikwan

06 Tin Can
The only thing I've read about the 3500's having problems is the front tire cupping or something to that matter. With the lack of front end alignment adjustments, it could be a problem if it's heavily loaded in the back.

If it's a good deal, I'd say why not. :idunno:

miki

I never owned a 2500 but I've got a 3500 set up as a camper and we are dissapointed with the harshness of the suspension. Small bumps bounce the camper around and for this reason I regret not getting a 2500 - but again, never had a 2500 so maybe this is unwarrented. I also noticed due to the 15" rims ground clearance is slightly less and tire choices are definitely limited.

poiuytrewq

The dually models are usually 1 ton vehicles. Most places will require commercial licences, and a more rigerous certification, on a regular basis. The 2500 version is very much like driving a 3/4 ton pickup- no special hoops to jump through. The only reason to buy a 3500 is payload, dont forget that the tires and rear axle are heavy duty, and are much m ore costly to repair

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
Hi spagthorpe,

Bit puzzled by your stereo install thoughts - a stereo into an '05 is really easy: ISO patch lead + head unit = job done? To answer / add to previous points:

Theoretically with six wheels you've got more rolling resistance to reduce your economy, but it's the slightly higher kerb weight that affects it more. Don't regard it as a deal breaker though.

The tyre wear is more to do with body variant than number of wheels: long and tall bodies most affected (the fronts can wear on the shoulders if regularly driven enthusiastically).

The only reason to buy a 3500 is payload, dont forget that the tires and rear axle are heavy duty, and are much m ore costly to repair
Not entirely. The six wheeler is super stable, and a bit better on soft surfaces. Tyres are same price as four wheeler (plus two of course), axles are heavier (hence increased kerb weight). For the most part maintainance costs are like for like compared to a four wheeler, occasionally higher but I don't agree "much more costly".

Key point: I think the suspension is something you should satisfy yourself of - it is quite a bit firmer than a four wheeler. If your proposed conversion work will add a reaonable amount of weight then not an issue, it will dampen this action nicely. A lot of people do like a dually for a conversion, as when complete - and with accoutrements - one can easily be around the weight limit for the four wheeler.

Last edited:
Well, I decided to go with the 3500. I agree, a 2500 would be more than enough for me, but I haven't yet found one in my price range.

I did a pre-purchase inspection and road test. I checked the injectors, and they are completely clean, checked the blower, no weird noises I could tell when driving. Yes, the ride is harsh for certain when empty. I hope I don't regret that. I don't know how much weight I plan to add with a conversion. Probably not enough to really smooth it out, maybe, I will have at least one motorcycle back there. If not, I assume I can get the same spring combo a 2500 or passenger van uses.

My stereo comment was purely because of the speakers. Two 4" dash speakers is really weak, and putting anything in the doors looks like major work. Was hoping for something better for the cross country drive, but doesn't look like that's going to happen.

The stress of the day though, comes two hours after purchase, when I'm stuck in a parking lot, and the van won't shift out of park. Unreal. Frantic call to the dealer, they send someone out, he thinks it's an alarm thing, messes with locking and unlocking the doors to no avail. Finally, someone in the parking lot suggests that there might be a neutral safety bypass switch near the shifter. I find it, stick a screwdriver in it, and can leave. Anytime I put it back into park though, it's stuck again. Not what I want to be doing cross country next week. Any ideas?

d_bertko

My brake pedal switch failed on my 02 long tall 2500. That required the screwdriver-override procedure until I got it replaced. Check to see if your brake lights are working---it's pretty dangerous as you might get rear-ended!

I installed some very nice Polks in smallish subwoofer boxes and hung them from the ceiling just behind the front seats. Plenty of clearance in a tall Sprinter plus the wedge shape is pretty acoustically ideal. Mine can swivel to the rear for camp use in my diy rv. Two good speakers was a much nicer solution for me than the usual four lesser speakers for the same $$$.

All of a sudden today, it started working. I know this will be an intermittent problem. The mechanic wasn't able to reproduce it at all. The lockout solenoid checks out, so I'm guessing the brake switch as well.

Do you know by chance how deep the stock 4" speaker locations will hold? If possible, I'd like to get some speakers in front of me, maybe even in the upper headliner as I saw someone do. I started going "front only" with car stereos a while ago, as that's how you usually hear music when you go see it live, and I've grown to like it that way in the car. I think I picked out the unit I want from Crutchfield.

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Do you know by chance how deep the stock 4" speaker locations will hold? If possible, I'd like to get some speakers in front of me, maybe even in the upper headliner as I saw someone do. I started going "front only" with car stereos a while ago, as that's how you usually hear music when you go see it live, and I've grown to like it that way in the car. I think I picked out the unit I want from Crutchfield.
I don't think you have to worry about the backside of the speaker fitting. I think the space is deep enough for a 4" speaker. The topside is something you have to worry about.

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=320

Good point. I hadn't thought about the tweeter height. Also a good read about the lack of quality improvement. Maybe I'll try he headliner approach.

312 diesel (closed)

The front speakers are a standard German car size. I fitted replacement ones intended, among others, for a Volkswagen Golf. Mine are Alpine and fitted straight in.

If yours is a high roof version there is a lot of room behind the headlining at the back and speakers will go in there easily.

rlent

Yes, the ride is harsh for certain when empty. I hope I don't regret that. I don't know how much weight I plan to add with a conversion. Probably not enough to really smooth it out, maybe, I will have at least one motorcycle back there. If not, I assume I can get the same spring combo a 2500 or passenger van uses.
I wouldn't bet on that ....

While excess spring capacity can yield a harsh ride, if any of the harshness (bounciness) is coming from lack of rebound damping, don't forget that you can replace the shocks with the adjustable Koni's .........

While that won't do much/anything to get rid of an initial harsh impact when you hit a bump, it will tame down the springs/ride from the rebound bouncing.

DesmoDave

For the record, I just picked up a 3500 extended with 220,000m on the clock. Tested it on local mountain roads, rough roads and smooth and didn't notice any harshness. At least not anywhere near as harsh and annoying as my buddy's F250 4x4, hate that thing unloaded. If there is a nasty bounciness and harshness in the ride, maybe something is worth out as others opined.

sailquik

DesmoDave,
Rear ride harshness in a 3500 Sprinter can be a function of rear tire pressure.
I got a brand new (< 15 miles) 2006 Dodge Sprinter 3500 and when I drove it off the lot in St. Louis, MO
(on my way back to Florida) it was chattered all over the road.
I stopped and checked the tire pressures and the dealer had pumped them all up to 80 PSI (Max pressure for the
small 190/75 R 15C Continental Vanco Four Seasons tires).
I lowered the tire pressures to the pressure recommended on the stickers on the seat box and "B" pillar and the
ride got far more comfortable.
I later put the 2007-2015 516/519 (3500 USA) NCV3 16" wheels on that van with Michelin LTX MS2 tires and the
ride improved even more with the tire pressures in the 55 PSI range.
Hope this helps,
Roger

Top Bottom