wiper arm linkage looks different from OEM part. what do you think?

If this helps...

The OEM linkage arms are composite/plastic. Most aftermarket replacement units I've researched use metal link arms. The aftermarket units do appear different from the OEM composite design.

Is metal better... worse? :idunno:

Composite is lighter (most likely that is the reason it is used OEM). It is also more expensive. Metal is strong, but heavier. Either material used with a proper design application can be fine.

vic

Andy at Focallocal

Social Adventurer
fitted it today. the part was fine and the process of changing it over was fairly straight forwards and took me about 2hrs (about 30mins if i was to do it again).

if anyone else finds this i would advise it over a mechanic as its £25 vs £150 (in London). i was able to take it off and fit the new one without removing anything else under the hood, although getting it in and out past the plastic box behind the insulating foam at the top towards the passengers side was a bit tricky.

i have done something silly somewhere though. they work great but for some reason the default postion my wipers return to is now 'up' rather than seating down when i turn them off. anyone know how i've managed to do that?

edit: losening the nut of the rotating part the motor attaches to, reseating the wipers to the bottom, and then tighening it again fixed that issue.

Last edited:

Andy at Focallocal

Social Adventurer
I'm just updating this. The cheap replacement linkage worked fine, but just a few weeks later the teeth it locks into were broken and the wipers stopped turning.

I fixed it with some Araldite, and thread locking glue inside the main nut. I'm fairly sure that the issue was caused by the cheap replacement linkage from China, incase anyone is planning on doing the same

Top Bottom