12V Outlet Install

tonydobbs

I was trying to install a 12V outlet in my sprinter, but it looks like the part I got requires another part to finish the install. I ordered part 05124458AA and this is what happened... Not only does it looks like another part is required to make it fit, but it seems like the connector is different. My plug has 3 pins but the back of the 12V accepts only 2. Any ideas?

After some searching it looks like maybe I need 5133419AA, but that says it's for a Sprinter 3500.

Attachments

sailquik

Tony,
Why are you installing a 12 vdc convenience outlet there.
Should be a 25 amp outlet down below the ashtray and a 15 amp in the ashtray if you have the smoker package.
Also why are you paying more for MOPAR/Chrysler parts?
Your local Mercedes Benz Sprinter (or Freightliner Spinter) authorized dealer will have the parts from by you VIN #.
Roger

tonydobbs

Tony,
Why are you installing a 12 vdc convenience outlet there.
Should be a 25 amp outlet down below the ashtray and a 15 amp in the ashtray if you have the smoker package.
Also why are you paying more for MOPAR/Chrysler parts?
Your local Mercedes Benz Sprinter (or Freightliner Spinter) authorized dealer will have the parts from by you VIN #.
Roger
I thought MOPAR would be cheaper, I guess I was wrong! And I don't have an ashtray. I have a hole where the ashtray should be.

Welcome to the forum Tony! :cheers:

This should do it: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-CHRY...t-5124456AA-/272668700830?hash=item3f7c52309e

Here is the fancier one with lid: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-CHRY...ash=item54479100db:g:zRMAAOSwlY1ZNMDs&vxp=mtr

*It is helpful to add your vehicle year/make/model in signature.
The first part is the one I ordered and it looks like it doesn't fit without some other part around it? Otherwise it goes right through the opening. I saw the second one on Ebay, but it said it's for the 3500 and I didn't want to buy another wrong part without asking.

Thanks for the tip, I'll add that to my signature in a moment. Mine is a 2004 Dodge Sprinter 2500 158".

autostaretx

Erratic Member
The "missing part" is the flip-cover for the 12v outlet.

Confusing things even more is that the Sprinter appears to use three different 12v sockets: one on the panel (like you're working on), and the other for inside the ash tray (with a pop-out mechanism to eject the heated cigarette lighter.

05124456AA is the base for the lighter (not power outlet) (MB A 000 820 17 51 )
05103679AA is the lighter element (MB: A 000 820 20 53 )
and
05124598AA is an "accessory socket" (MB: A 000 825 03 08 )

But i agree with you that 05124458AA should have been the socket and flip-cover as a combined unit.
(that's MB number A 210 820 08 51, "Power Outlet" )

05183902AA correlates with option XAH, which i haven't decoded yet...
The Mopar-to-MB parts converter calls that A 901 820 00 51 (also named "POWER OUTLET")

--dick

Last edited:

tonydobbs

The "missing part" is the flip-cover for the 12v outlet.

Confusing things even more is that the Sprinter appears to use three different 12v sockets: one on the panel (like you're working on), and the other for inside the ash tray (with a pop-out mechanism to eject the heated cigarette lighter.

05124456AA is the base for the lighter (not power outlet) (MB A 000 820 17 51 )
05103679AA is the lighter element (MB: A 000 820 20 53 )
and
05124598AA is an "accessory socket" (MB: A 000 825 03 08 )

But i agree with you that 05124458AA should have been the socket and flip-cover as a combined unit.
(that's MB number A 210 820 08 51, "Power Outlet" )

05183902AA correlates with option XAH, which i haven't decoded yet...
The Mopar-to-MB parts converter calls that A 901 820 00 51 (also named "POWER OUTLET")

--dick
It's very confusing. I believe that I need 05133419AA to make my current part work, but I'm not 100% sure.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
It's very confusing. I believe that I need 05133419AA to make my current part work, but I'm not 100% sure.
That number doesn't appear in my 2006 parts catalog file (nor 2003 or 2008),
but it does appear in the wider-span Dodge-to-MB cross reference.
05133419AA is MB# A 210 820 09 51

--dick

Nautamaran

2004 140” HRC 2500 (Crewed)
If you miss again I’m pretty sure I’ve got one in my parts box you could have?
We’re usually just plugging in phones so I replaced mine with a dual USB outlet/volt meter.

-dave

tonydobbs

We’re usually just plugging in phones so I replaced mine with a dual USB outlet/volt meter.

-dave
Thank you so much, I'm feeling good about this part though, so hopefully it works!

tonydobbs

-dave
The part came in today, and it seems to fit! But I'm fairly sure that the connector I had believed to be for the 12V socket is for something else, as the pins do not match. I guess I'm going to have to dive under there and hopefully locate this thing.

... I guess I'm going to have to dive under there and hopefully locate this thing.
If the connector is missing, but the wires are intact 1/4" slide on connectors can be used. Just watch the polarity. Brown is ground.

After the slide connectors are installed, it is possible to use non-conductive epoxy putty formed around the connectors to DIY a connector body. Personally I wouldn't bother doing that for a 12 volt outlet.

:2cents: vic

tonydobbs

If the connector is missing, but the wires are intact 1/4" slide on connectors can be used. Just watch the polarity. Brown is ground.

After the slide connectors are installed, it is possible to use non-conductive epoxy putty formed around the connectors to DIY a connector body. Personally I wouldn't bother doing that for a 12 volt outlet.

That's the weird thing... I don't see any other wires that it could be. I'm going to try removing more of the dash to get better access.

That's the weird thing... I don't see any other wires that it could be. I'm going to try removing more of the dash to get better access.
I believe that the console power outlet was an option. If your Sprinter wasn't ordered with that option you won't find one extra scrap of wire.

My guess is that your Sprinter never had the outlet.

Pictures of my 2004 are here.

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?p=556813#post556813

The 2004 back picture indicates to me that the console cutout/mount maybe includes a circular enlargement to accommodate the outlet.

Not that you asked...

An easy way out may be to use an aftermarket panel similar to what I used tapped/fed from the ashtray cigarette power wire.

Last edited:

Nautamaran

If you have the ashtray outlet, wiring up in parallel with its power supply is an option, though if you blow the fuse you’ll also lose your interior lights.

-dave

tonydobbs

I believe that the console power outlet was an option. If your Sprinter wasn't ordered with that option you won't find one extra scrap of wire.

My guess is that your Sprinter never had the outlet.

Pictures of my 2004 are here.

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?p=556813#post556813

The 2004 back picture indicates to me that the console cutout/mount maybe includes a circular enlargement to accommodate the outlet.

Not that you asked...

An easy way out may be to use an aftermarket panel similar to what I used tapped/fed from the ashtray cigarette power wire.

I was afraid that this might be the case, I'm just surprised, because in my experience manufacturers usually will run the wires even if the vehicle doesn't have the option selected. Since I already have the outlet though, I would like to use it. I'll probably just run a new circuit to this 12v outlet. I am missing the cupholders, so I can build a console for that purpose and add some outlets there maybe... Just thinking outloud.

If you have the ashtray outlet, wiring up in parallel with its power supply is an option, though if you blow the fuse you’ll also lose your interior lights.

-dave
Unfortunately, I don't seem to have that, I have a cutout where my ashtray should be, although I may have the power connector for that... Hmm I should find out what that 3-pronged connector is for.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
You probably have the EK1 "3rd party power taps" under the driver's seat.
They're already fused, and give you the option of ignition-switched or always-hot.

T1nEK1all.jpg

--dick

Last edited:

Nautamaran

The 3-prong could be the ash tray “cigarette lighter”?
Bat(+), Bat(-), and dash illumination(+).
It shares Fuse Block 1, Fuse #8 with the interior lights.

-dave

I was afraid that this might be the case, I'm just surprised, because in my experience manufacturers usually will run the wires even if the vehicle doesn't have the option selected.
That is common with Detroit iron and Japanese vehicles. Generally speaking Mother Mercedes doesn't give you one scrap of wire that wasn't ordered. The FB#1 fuse panel under the steering column has common/standard configuration. The FB#2/3 under the driver seat is different for every Sprinter. No extra bus bar or fuse positions.

If you are going to do a custom install I would include the voltmeter and USB units while you are doing it. Those have been handy additions for us. My wife actually needs the 2.1 amp USB to gain ground when using her iPad. It is power hungry. The 1 amp just keeps up while in use.

Unfortunately, I don't seem to have that, I have a cutout where my ashtray should be, although I may have the power connector for that... Hmm I should find out what that 3-pronged connector is for.
The white 3 prong connector in my 2004 picture is the ashtray cigar lighter connector. That has a possibility of being there even when not ordered because it would fit with the standard FB#1 theme.

Have fun.

vic

Top Bottom