Parasitic draw, possibly IC/ Ignition switch

NMccann92

I have a 2006 Dodge Sprinter, customer says it dies overnight. after jump starting the truck, tested charging system and found truck is charging at 14v. Shut the truck off with all doors closed and watched instrument cluster. Cluster would time out after 45 sec but after 2 seconds the backlight and odometer would come back on, and would repeat this process over and over again. Also the HVAC unit still had power to it. The A/C and ESPAR light would remain on, also blower motor would still run at a reduced power. Would this be signs of a faulty IC or ignition switch, or could a door switch still be a possibility even though the cluster times out.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
You can grab both a 2004 and 2006 service manual from http://diysprinter.co.uk/reference/
Section 8W is/are the schematics.

Yes, a door switch may trigger that, or (long list): the buttons (+/-/clock) below the dash display (how long are the periods of rew-illumination? Are they also 45 seconds? (the dash button lite-ups aren't that long). The AC system and auxiliary heater have time-outs (3 minutes for the Aux heater). Sticky relays can do it.

Has the customer had the "T21" recall performed? (ECU reprogramming to fix failure-to-sense/report MAF issues) That can have knock-on battery-draining effects. The "fix" may include replacing the IC (as part of the recall). Dodge dealers are not as aware of the issues as MB and Freightliner dealers are. See the thread with T21 in the title.

--dick

NMccann92

I assume you mean re-illumination? If so then yes it will re-illuminate for 45 seconds time out and repeat over and over. As far as the buttons, I cant tell if they even illuminate because it so bright out. The HVAC unit seems to stay on even after 5min, I will check the relays. I'm thinking on ruling any of the door switches out because on a similar truck(that has no issues) I started the truck, shut it off, took the key out, but left the door open, and after 45 seconds the IC timed out yet stayed timed out even with the door open.

The customer has not had the recall performed on any of the sprinters in their fleet. I was going to start getting the recalls done, but after reading threads on them it seems that they cause headaches. Maybe I'm reading into them wrong, would you recommend I get the recall done or hold off as long as possible?

Nautamaran

2004 140” HRC 2500 (Crewed)
If not T21 related, a common point for ATC and IC triggering is the ignition switch.
The ATC normally remains energized without the key (for REST operation, which runs the blower fan on low speed.)

The Aux heat (“bacon button”) is energized when the key is at RUN, and the heater feeds powers to the blower fan’s low speed circuit so that the fan runs at least on low when the aux heater is toggled on.
The thumb wheel then powers the fan at the higher selected speeds, but again only when the key is in the RUN position.

If the IC is cycling regularly, then that suggests an ECU issue (T21 related gremlins) as a faulty relay or ignition switch are unlikely to allow the display to time out then reactivate at such a regular interval.

-dave

Nautamaran

2004 140” HRC 2500 (Crewed)
Note that the door switch provides a path to ground, so if your dome lights are switching off properly then the door switch is not triggering the IC.

-dave

NMccann92

Thank you, I will be sending it off to the MB dealer. Figured I'd give it a shot, but there isn't much I can do for these Sprinters beyond mechanical repairs since I have no software to scan the T1Ns.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
If memory serves, this can also happen if the ignition switch fails to notice that you've removed the key (although i think the dash light does NOT go out in that circumstance).

Re-inserting the key, restarting, then shutting down and removing the key again usually corrects that.
(and/or whacking the side of the steering column to get its attention).

--dick

Top Bottom