Rust Protection Gremlins

gowyn

Hello.

Don't want a discussion of pros and cons of rust protection, have a question.

In the past I've always taken my vehicles to Krown for rust protection. Took the 2016 Sprinter and some odd things happened.

My factory installed diesel heater died after one year, replaced under warranty so all good now. The other odd thing that happened was right after getting it sprayed the TPMS system went nuts. Said all four tires were low, checked and all good. Couldn't reset it. Eventually I just disconnected the battery and all is good.

Anyway, I'm seriously considering NOT getting the van sprayed anymore.

On an off note and this may also be related, but if the van has been sitting over night and it's damp or raining, I have to make sure I "DRY" off the brakes otherwise it wont stop! Scary the first time. Almost as if the pads are glazed and the wet makes them not grip. Once they're dried off it all good. Even in the rain. Just the initial move off.

irvingj

2015 RT SS Agile (3.0L)
Not sure about Krown, but I had mine undercoated with Waxoyl, a European product. I was told that since Waxoyl is paraffin-based, it would not interfere with sensors & such, whereas typical petroleum-based coatings can affect them. Don't know how true that is since paraffin is also petroleum-derived, but apparently there is a difference. We've had no weird stuff happening with our 2015. (My TDI came from the factory with a paraffin-based undercoating.)

As far as your brakes, yep, it sounds like something has gotten on them. Better have that looked at.

danski0224

Is Krown approved for use on wiring and connectors? Some rust preventers, like Fluid Film, mention not to spray it on wiring in the directions.

I had mine sprayed with Corrosion Free, which claims to be safe for wiring, connectors and rubber parts. Picks up a lot of dirt, though.

Your brake pads are probably contaminated with Krown, and the application dealer should replace them if told in time.

Top Bottom