Inside view of 06' catalytic converter

p3424

There's been a few warmer days recently so I've been chipping away at the 06' T1N to get ready for the upcoming travel season.

The exhaust had broken off right before the catalytic convertor next to the hanger, which allows it to slide off the hangers easily. While the catalytic converter is exposed, I thought I'd take a picture to check its condition (cat.jpg), before attempt a fix by inserting a smaller tube, 2.125" OD to be exact, inside the broken exhaust section. (courtesy of someone's 3 part video on ytube)

The picture seems to show the catalytic convertor in relative pristine condition at 250k. I'm guessing the pieces blocking some of the holes are carbon and probably will burn off at some point, though there are a few holes that seems to be plugged.

I've put 25k of mostly highway miles in almost two years that I had the van, so the catalytic converter is probably as clean as its going to get from these cross country drives.

There is a round device with two pin wire under the exhaust manifold, behind the O2 sensor that I've being wondering about. The wire was disconnected since I got the van so I haven't messed with it (whatisit.jpg). Does anyone know what it is and if it should be connected somewhere?

The shiny oily looking wire in the picture is the transmission wiring, which I've yet to track down the source of the oil leak that followed along the downward slopped valve cover, along the oil line, then to the transmission wire harness tie to the oil line (whatisit2.jpg).

Attachments

Top Bottom