Wheel bearings

TimJuhl

I'll be looking at replacing the front pads and discs probably sometime this summer. My current mileage is 42K. Is there a recommended interval at which the front wheel bearings should be cleaned, inspected and re-greased? I'm not noticing any front end problems, just trying to be proactive.

Also, am I correct that the rear axle bearings get their lube from the axle lube?

Tim

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Tim checking for bearing condition is basic there is no guideline for time frames that I know of?
however it's not a bad idea to check when replacing brakes and rotors.
pry cap off carefully so not to damage it.
DSC00564 (Custom).JPG
Inspect for seal damage leakage and view if all is well
It was perfect the bearing self adjusts, still in OEM condition.
IF dry and caked clean out and de-rust if required.
DSC00576 (Custom).JPG
Reseal cap Sealant

DSC00577 (Custom).JPG
Use simaualr pipe to bang back into place do not hammer the cap
DSC00578 (Custom).JPG
Replace camera lenz filter
That'll teach me from using a self timer:eek:
Richard

rlent

I'll be looking at replacing the front pads and discs probably sometime this summer. My current mileage is 42K. Is there a recommended interval at which the front wheel bearings should be cleaned, inspected and re-greased?
Not that I know of - I wish I had pulled mine at 100K, repacked them, and set the bearing end play (requires a dial indicator with .001" accuracy and a magnetic mount)

I didn't get around to it until 175K miles, when I replaced the pads and rotors - by that time the passenger side bearings were in less than perfect condition with some evidence of wear (cloudiness/scuffing on the rollers and races, and a brown tint, which I took to be evidence of possible heat discoloration), so I replaced them - they probably could have easily gone another 25K to 50K miles if I had just repacked them, but I didn't want to risk a failure out on the road.

The drivers side bearings looked essentially new. The hubs and driver's side bearings were cleaned and repacked with Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease (the red stuff) and new seals installed. Richard's idea on the driver for the dust caps is a good idea - I used a plastic mallet to drive mine in, a driver would have been far better. Also the service suggests using a gasket sealant. - they were sealed when I removed them - I'd say the hardening Permatex - No. 2 I think - would be good.

I'm not noticing any front end problems, just trying to be proactive.
I think that repacking them at about every 100K and setting the end play so they are not too loose would do a lot to extend their life.

Also, am I correct that the rear axle bearings get their lube from the axle lube?
I'm not certain, but if I had to guess ..... yeah, probably.

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
I don't know whether the four tonners have different bearings, but I'm surprised mine are still fine after nearly nine years.

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
Will soon be eclipsing the eight hundred clicks mark Ralph, so no complaints about the wheel bearings from me! Everything over 3.5t is kms in Europe, and some which are under that are too.

Last edited:

Top Bottom