PDA

View Full Version : Newbie looking to buy a Used, 2500, 158" HT

Neil2
05-13-2009, 12:09 AM
Hi volks,

I'm new here so be gentle. Been researching but still feel a like a big novice. Been searching but don't know if my assumptions are very accurate. Just found an '05 Used DHL 158" High Top for $9500 in Iowa, 168k and am wondering if that's a good price, or low or high. I'd have to fly there from Oregon, inspect and drive home (add $1k).

Also, I was planning to get an extra sliding door from the owner to use just aft of the exterior sliding door entry so as to divide the rear from the mid section. I've heard the doors can be bought aftermarket but require a kit to install and I've not located the brand DHL uses. ???

And, I was planning to get an extra passenger seat somewhere to replace the little 'thing' DHL uses on the passenger side of the cab. Am wondering if the cab pass side floor of the DHL vans will accomodate such. ??? Would need a pedastal too. That might be impossible to find and remove if welded to the floor. ???

As well as, buying a small seat that is avail online that is used for a third person. I've attached photos for your review in case you've not seen such.

Please tell me your :2cents:. And, thanks for bearing with me. :thinking:

Altered Sprinter
05-13-2009, 12:27 AM
Welcome to the forum, that was quick swapping out the dickey seat.
seat base is bolted to floor, but finding the hoes under the floor would require lifting the mat to trace them out.
Richard

sikwan
05-13-2009, 02:51 AM
Welcome Neil2...

Are those the real pictures of the van that you're interesting in?

Kind of confusing because you want the sliding door partition, but the picture shows the partition already install. :thinking: I'm also wondering where you would put the center seat with that sliding door. With a 158, I would maybe move the partition just to the rear of the first bench seat. Maybe leave a little space to squeeze behind the bench seat to the sliding door. Of course, this idea will depend on what you're planning to do with the Sprinter.

Aqua P has a good checklist of things to look at, especially the leaky injectors...

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5174

The $9500 is an ok price for that mileage, but it'll depend on a lot of things like condition. Is that the haggled price or the asking price?

rlent
05-13-2009, 08:54 AM
The seat in the one you are looking at is called a "jump" seat - in parcel delivery, it's for when you have a "jumper" riding with you - you drive and he jumps out and runs the packages up at each stop.

The shelving system that's in there almost looks like a Taylor-Ready System ..... but it's not. Shelving setups like that retailed for around $3K to $4K .... unfortunately the used market for them currently is probably pretty limited, since it likely won't fit in a newer NCV3 van.

Neil2
05-13-2009, 02:32 PM
Welcome to the forum, that was quick swapping out the dickey seat.
seat base is bolted to floor, but finding the hoes under the floor would require lifting the mat to trace them out.
Richard

Thanks! Unsure what you mean by "that was quick swapping out the dickey seat". I think you mean 'It will be easy.' If I can find the hole indentations by pressing on the floor mat I don't mind lifting it, though I've not looked closely at doing either yet.

Neil2

Neil2
05-13-2009, 02:43 PM
Welcome Neil2...

Are those the real pictures of the van that you're interesting in?

Kind of confusing because you want the sliding door partition, but the picture shows the partition already install. :thinking: I'm also wondering where you would put the center seat with that sliding door. With a 158, I would maybe move the partition just to the rear of the first bench seat. Maybe leave a little space to squeeze behind the bench seat to the sliding door. Of course, this idea will depend on what you're planning to do with the Sprinter.

Aqua P has a good checklist of things to look at, especially the leaky injectors...

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5174

The $9500 is an ok price for that mileage, but it'll depend on a lot of things like condition. Is that the haggled price or the asking price?

Thanks! Well, yes but they're all about the same. I want two sliding door partitions. The original and one extra so as to stealth. I need one to make the van look commercial (viewing through the windshield) and one to divide the interior between bedroom and the rest. I want to insulate the bedroom well and leave the rest, for now.

Yes, I haven't figured out how to deal with the center seat/door proximity. Perhaps just relocate the partition to aft of the exterior sliding (factory) door and hang a curtain behind the front to seats to preserve the stealth look.

Just spoke to a dealer and he said 5 of 7 DHLs he had, sold to FedEx. Seems the mileage was low enough to but them back in service. He also stated that he had heard the drive shafts sometimes crack at 250k+/-. Any knowledge of that? I had convinced self to spend $10k on a higher mileage van and now am wondering. :thinking:

Neil2

Neil2
05-13-2009, 02:46 PM
The seat in the one you are looking at is called a "jump" seat - in parcel delivery, it's for when you have a "jumper" riding with you - you drive and he jumps out and runs the packages up at each stop.

The shelving system that's in there almost looks like a Taylor-Ready System ..... but it's not. Shelving setups like that retailed for around $3K to $4K .... unfortunately the used market for them currently is probably pretty limited, since it likely won't fit in a newer NCV3 van.
I'll see if the partition pops up with a google search of Taylor-Ready, just for kicks. I wish I could determine the sliding door partition 'used' value.

Altered Sprinter
05-13-2009, 03:03 PM
Thanks! Unsure what you mean by "that was quick swapping out the dickey seat". I think you mean 'It will be easy.' If I can find the hole indentations by pressing on the floor mat I don't mind lifting it, though I've not looked closely at doing either yet.

Neil2
Yes Neil sort of thinking of you buying and showing the option for the standards seats I call them dickey seats, as that was the original name back in another century now long gone jump seats what ever.
Under the mat you will find the bolt holes for the passenger base seat frames can be bought from dealers new, or on eBay there are seats for sale for less than a hundred dollars with a base they show up all the time.
best of luck looking for a unit the forum has plenty of great tips to look for, but what ever you do buy here's my tip and it will save you a big headache, ask to remove the plastic engine cover and look at the injection system for the dreaded Black death if it's there you will see a slight leak easy fix for the injectors, or it's going to be a solid mass of black substance avoid that if it's present and look elsewhere.as to how expensive that can turn out be.
Most vans are serviced but some are not, I guess it's how the drivers looked after them some do others don't.
The van your looking at needs some TLC if you buy dump the oil give it an engine flush to remove old contaminants that have built up over the time the vans been on the road and put the best oil in you can get such as Mobil One Gold Super Synthetic 0-40 forget the price oils cheap engine repairs are not.
Change out coolant it's likely out of date and check brakes flush them and put in new DOT4 fluid change differential oil as well service transmission and flush it out to remove any contaminants, then check ball joints wear on outer tires on the front are an indicator etc,then just enjoy your new ride. Ask for service records if any:idunno: it helps to show what problems if any that may have occurred in the past.
Have a fantastic Day:And welcome to the forum any way.
Cheers Richard

Neil2
05-13-2009, 08:56 PM
Thanks, will not the advice and follow b4 and after I buy!

FEDEXHDGUY
06-02-2009, 05:07 AM
Check Ebay for Sprinter Sliding Cargo Door Partition. A sprinter parts dealer in Houston Texas has them and might ship. I drove from Dallas and bought one from him for $200. Came out of a retired UPS van. Had to fabricate a couple of parts, but worth the savings from dealer price.

Bobby