Dash to Driver's Seat Routing

pbansen

Forgive me if I just haven't entered the right phrase when searching this, but I searched and searched and came up empty.

I'm installing a new stereo head that has a wire that goes to the parking brake switch (to prevent one from watching DVD movies while driving - parking brake must be set to enable DVD function). I know - this seems to contravene natural selection, but what are ya gonna do?

Is there a reasonably direct route from the dash area to the driver's seat pedestal? I've had the dash apart far enough to figure out how to remove the old stereo, but haven't dismantled toward the floor yet. Back-up camera is ready to go - now I just need to connect to the parking brake or just bypass the damn thing.

Thanks!

pfflyer

Lift up the floor mat and you will see channels covered with a black plate from the base to the battery compartment under the drivers feet. From there I think but can’t remember another Chanel to either the A pilllar or the fire wall by the petals or both.

pbansen

or just ground the wire anywhere back there and dont worry about it
Is that right? I've come across all of these descriptions of people installing switches and relays - seems like it would detect being grounded all the time, but I'll try it. I'll probably never watch a DVD on the thing, but going to a lot of trouble to attach the green wire to the parking brake switch is a effort I'd just as soon avoid.

Thanks!
Pete

grantwilson

FreedomVanGo
Is that right? I've come across all of these descriptions of people installing switches and relays - seems like it would detect being grounded all the time, but I'll try it. I'll probably never watch a DVD on the thing, but going to a lot of trouble to attach the green wire to the parking brake switch is a effort I'd just as soon avoid.

Thanks!
Pete
it doesn't need an interrupter. and even if it does, just put a switch in line with the ground somewhere. Ive never installed a video capable headunit that needed to see a ground actually switch.

I would just ground it and see what happens. If it requires and interrupted ground, then insert a momentary push button switch to break the ground and reground to fill that need

pbansen

it doesn't need an interrupter. and even if it does, just put a switch in line with the ground somewhere. Ive never installed a video capable headunit that needed to see a ground actually switch.

I would just ground it and see what happens. If it requires and interrupted ground, then insert a momentary push button switch to break the ground and reground to fill that need
Thanks - I'll give that a try!

Top Bottom