Swivel seat trouble - wires ripped off

m10

A pair of wires under my seat from my seat heating ripped off on my 2017 4x4 sprinter with factory swivel seats. Not sure how it happened but I assume they got caught somewhere when swiveling. Lots of loose cables hanging under the seats, not great. Does anyone have similar issues and how are you preventing it. Maybe cloth tape all the wires together? Or are there better protective wiring sleeves?

Thank you,
Merten

m10

It's going to cost me half a day to do that. And if they just replace the cable the root cause of the problem doesn't get fixed and it will rip again. I had no trouble to solder the cables back together, just want to know if anyone has modified the factory cable mess under the seats in a way so that they don't get caught and rip. Thank you.

H

hmbltn

It's going to cost me half a day to do that. And if they just replace the cable the root cause of the problem doesn't get fixed and it will rip again. I had no trouble to solder the cables back together, just want to know if anyone has modified the factory cable mess under the seats in a way so that they don't get caught and rip. Thank you.
A Sprinter dealer/service department is never going to seek the root cause of anything. They are not paid nor trained enough to do that. They will only address the most obvious problem. That usually requires something staring them straight in the face like an obviously broken wire.

I had to clean up the wire routing underneath both of my seats after taking my van to a car audio shop for an upgrade, which is also a fatal mistake. Between the missing seat mount bolt and shoddy wire routing, I had to re-assess how all the wires were routed to ensure they didn't get ripped off when moving the seat back and forth.

There should be enough play in your seat wiring that you can slowly rotate the swivel seats and observe what may or may not be getting caught. Adjust accordingly. Zip ties are a good idea just make sure you don't prevent the wire bundle from moving freely when the seat is moved.

Last edited:

Top Bottom