Rattle at idle (UK VAN)

grumpy-old-van

A little bit Oooh Errrr
Hi I have a noise that is concerning me

UK VAN T1N OM611

At idle I get a rattle type noise
it sounds as though it coming from the engine
it disappears when revved even slightly above idle
there is some extra vibration through the van (occasionally when accelerating from idle it will wobble)
pushing clutch in at idle does not change (other than thrust bearing noise is reduced)
noise seems to be coming from middle of engine at back
cannot be heard from outside but is loud and noticable from inside
noisiest with head right under dash in centre

is this likely to be dual mass flywheel issue?
I have had some chirping noises at heavy throttle
and fuel consumption is still terrible (it always has been since i got it)

sometimes it seems to be less when engine is hot
may be louder with front of van facing downhill??
It isnt always there but most of the time

Tried to include as much info as can think of
any ideas appreciated
any input on ruling out or in flywheel too

what is on back of engine?
engine mount in that area?
exhaust mounts?

thanks

Last edited:

Skippy and Emu

A couple of other options to explore. Fortunately these two can generally be diagnosed visually.

1. Faulty harmonic balancer.
2. Serpentine belt system. Ensure the belt tensioner is not dancing around at idle. If so, could be faulty belt tensioner and / or alternator clutch. This may cause a chirp from the belt system.

I've found by taking a stethoscope, dowel or stick and by placing it in different areas (wear safety glasses and avoid moving parts!) it is easier to isolate the origin.

In some situations if van has A/C try turning it on and see if noise continues. *Not yours as noise seems to be coming from rear of motor.

Last edited:

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Clutch springs. Not the pressure plate spring, but the clutch disc springs. They could be rattling during idling.

Eric Experience

Grumpy.
If you can not hear it outside the van then its not the engine or clutch. It has to be something connected to the engine touching the body, are the cables to the gear linkage secure? the brackets that support the exhaust loose or broken? You should be able to slide a piece of cardboard or carpet down behind the block and pull it out gently over the gear box. Eric.

grumpy-old-van

A little bit Oooh Errrr
Ill get back under and have another look
thanks for the suggestions everyone
ill wait till the ground has dried a bit

one other thing when i did get under there before there was quite a bit of grease (too much?) on the conections of the gearbox linkages?
they were like little hydrolic rams if I remember right, is this a hydrolic clutch actuator or something?

Eric you are on the same line of thinkin as me but couldnt see much when i looked at side of road

grumpy-old-van

A little bit Oooh Errrr
Im now almost certain this is the gear linkage
if the engine is off and I move from gear to gear it sounds clunky rattley and a bit tinney, just like the noise with engine running and would explain it changing with engine revs

the selector arm coming from the box feels very floppy for want of a better word, not sure if thats normal?

how exactly does the gear linkage work on these?
is it cables?
is it hydrolic clutch?

couldnt see properly, first time the ground has even been dry in a month..

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Two cables run from the shifter to the trans. On the outside of the trans are two levers, and some plastic bushings etc. The bushings at the shifter and trans can wear.

Does your engine move a lot at idle? If so, you may have worn out engine mounts, which is contributing to your vibration.

Top Bottom