2014 cargo dash hvac vent air leak

UmmScott

Anyone know of how to take apart the trim around the dash vents by the radio?

I feel like there is a big air leak in the blower ducting and want to inspect.
We have about 6 sprinters ranging from 2009ish to 2015. I noticed the older ones have 2 cold air vents on the top above the radio that can be opened/closed. Mine does not its just cubby/storage space.
However...i feel a substantial amount of cold winter air coming in that area when the blower is on?

Anyone have any ideas or insight?
Thanks

sprinterPaul

Anyone know of how to take apart the trim around the dash vents by the radio?

I feel like there is a big air leak in the blower ducting and want to inspect.

We have about 6 sprinters ranging from 2009ish to 2015. I noticed the older ones have 2 cold air vents on the top above the radio that can be opened/closed. Mine does not its just cubby/storage space.

However...i feel a substantial amount of cold winter air coming in that area when the blower is on?

Thanks

Pull the center trim off from around the radio. Start at top. Comes off with fingers easily enough. https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showpost.php?p=595062&postcount=12

See following post to remove trim around vents.

After that you may need to poke around to see what you are after

ptheland

2013 144" low top Passgr
Thanks
The ventilation system in a Sprinter is about the worst you'll ever see in a modern vehicle. Cool air works OK, but it pretty noisy. Warm air is horrible.

You may be experiencing normal operation.

98Firebird

If you don't have vents there what you will find upon removing the trim panels is that the Styrofoam plugs for the ducting there have popped out, simply glue them back into place with your preferred glue, Mercedes has a recommended glue but it looks like rtv sealant would work plenty well.

UmmScott

If you don't have vents there what you will find upon removing the trim panels is that the Styrofoam plugs for the ducting there have popped out, simply glue them back into place with your preferred glue, Mercedes has a recommended glue but it looks like rtv sealant would work plenty well.
Thanks a lot.
I will definitely have to check this out

UmmScott

Reason i am asking is because i recently drove one of the older ncv3 sprinters. They have the 2 cold only air vents up top.

With those 2 closed there is a bunch of air that comes thru all the dash vents, like a substantial amount.

With my sprinter the 2014 model,
I dont have those 2 cold air vents. Its storage space, yet i feel air coming thru the cracks of the dash trim in those areas and the actual air coming out of the regular dash vents is seriously lacking.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

98Firebird

Reason i am asking is because i recently drove one of the older ncv3 sprinters. They have the 2 cold only air vents up top.

With those 2 closed there is a bunch of air that comes thru all the dash vents, like a substantial amount.

With my sprinter the 2014 model,
I dont have those 2 cold air vents. Its storage space, yet i feel air coming thru the cracks of the dash trim in those areas and the actual air coming out of the regular dash vents is seriously lacking.

Sounds just like when the Styrofoam end caps pop out. Mercedes runs the vent piping there regardless of configuration and if it is built with no vents there the piping is just capped off with the pieces of Styrofoam.

UmmScott

All fixed!!!

Thanks a bunch guys. Foam caps were blown out of place. I was busy with service calls that day so i just placed them back for now.

Ill go back and put some adhesive on them so they dont pop out again.
Air volume is much much better now

Top Bottom