Adventure through Shipping Container

DRolfe

I hope to be purchasing a 144" Merc Sprinter van with high roof in the next month...should have done it much earlier and given myself some time.

Plan on adding solar and fan for a trip from Alaska to Argentina.

The concern I have is shipping between Panama and Colombia.

Looking through blogs of others who have done this, I found one who opted for the container loading option for security reasons and they had to remove the fan and solar panels to get it in the container. Looking at van height and container height, it is very close.

Has anyone else had this problem, or do most recommend RORO loading instead?

TooMuchHair

It might be possible, Joe Campell (alias Camp Skunk) a regular contributor with anything to do with Roadtrek on Facebook shipped his long, tall Roadtrek E Trek to Europe this year for a 6 month adventure. I'm sure he has solar on the roof, not sure about what else. If you do a little investigating on FB, searching on various Roadtrek pages you will find him and more details. He is an intelligent, nice guy that would probably answer a couple questions if you were to ask him. Here is an article mentioning his trip.
http://roadtreking.com/navigating-paperwork-take-rv-europe/

DRolfe

Thanks for the info.

I also read on this forum, forgot to mention in my original post, that some recommend 'shipping wheels', which are much smaller...or even metal disks. I'd hate to have to travel with wheels for 6-8 months before actually using them...but if that's what it takes.

I suppose the solar panel could be mounted on a roof rack (does the high top come with rails?) for easy removal (and no drilling into the van top). But the fan removal (and re-install) would be a pain the a$$.

How about using tie down straps (come-alongs) to lower the suspension?

DieselFumes

2015 4x4 2500 170 Crew
Plan on adding solar and fan for a trip from Alaska to Argentina.
Assuming you're aware of the requirement for ultra-low sulphur diesel in your 144's engine, and the potential lack of that diesel at various points on your journey.

DRolfe

Assuming you're aware of the requirement for ultra-low sulphur diesel in your 144's engine, and the potential lack of that diesel at various points on your journey.
Actually....no. I wasn't aware.

I've read blogs of others doing the same journey to S. America with Merc Sprinters.

What are the concerns?

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Dpf plus high sulfur diesel can cause expensive issues. Do your homework. Anything 2007+ has a dpf unless removed with aftermarket tuning.

Last edited:

DRolfe

Dpf plus high sulfur diesel can cause expensive issues. Do your homework. Anything 2007+ has a dpf unless removed with aftermarket tuning.
Thanks for the info! I can turn a wrench, and could do a conversion (interior work), but don't know much about the mechanics....like DPF issues. :idunno:

I do my homework by listening to you guys! :bow:

So...a van before 2006 might do the trick, eh? I was hoping to find something newer with fewer miles and a chance of it running with fewer issues. Those I've seen older than 2006 seems to have way to many miles. Looks like I'll keep on searching...

DRolfe

Just found a 2014 Sprinter for $20k US with only 35000km on it....

In Colombia, SA.

My wife is from Colombia and there now. Maybe I'll start from S.A., and drive North instead! :thinking:

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
You will probably be okay. If you go ncv3, the 4 cylinder is the better engine by far. Some models of ncv3 up to 2012 I think? can be tuned to remove the dpf inexpensively. See GDE tunes.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Also, don't discount a gasoline transit right off the bat. They should at least be given consideration. T1N sprinters in good shape with low miles are hard to find and can be expensive.

Top Bottom