Better Diesel Fuel Additive

Barrelsaver

Its time to buy another year's supply of diesel fuel additive for my Sprinter and I'm wondering if there is an additive available now that is any better than the Redline 85+ I've been using??? I read the thread below on the tests and the HPPR improvement thing ... but is anyone actually using those products with good results???
The Opti-Lube XPD sound the best in that test ... however if you Google it you read some stuff about it that is doubtful concerning what it is made of and actual results.
The FPPF RV, Bus, SUV..ect. additive is also a new brand to me .... anyone using it?

Please share your experience with us here on the Forum!

TK:thinking:

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
My year 2005 313 cdi has used both red-line products RL200 the most concentrated of the range and the RL 85+ for winter this has now been deleted for my use as to the extra advantage of added cetane is not required as to our fuels meting ASTM and full Fame spec's winter cold starts is not an issue either so the first is now in full use.
Mercedes Know I use this product, and have used it whilst under warranty with BP Australian fuel both Mercedes accept the additive and BP also acknowledges that as a secondary supplement for a possible defective fuel it does happen on an occasional basis.
Red Line does not use any harmful alcohol based thinner such as Amsoil. in its products which can be too reactive.Red line relies on the synthetic base lubricator to lubricate and maintain the injection systems, negate any water build up in the fuel if any occurs, the agent gently dissolves any carbon build up if any as it acts as a anti carbon build up on valves and piston crowns which may damage valve ports, etc and block injector jets to an irregular spray pattern.
Not once has my van let me down in four years the product has no effect that's been detrimental to the vehicles operation no carbon issues as no offence is meant but it's 47 CN 10p/pm 50Cn is available now and uses added lubricant additives to the fuel therefore no EGR valve problems occur.
I can under stand that in parts of the US and Canada where low temps are experienced and the use of a lesser quality winter grade with lower below required Cn values,Red line RL 85+ and RL 85 anti gel would be of more importance as to it's anti gelling properties and extra cetane value for the boost for a higher fuel burn.
Red-line for my van has proved itself over the four full years of use to assist in maintaining my engine to it's original OEM specifications, with out any issues or injectors leaks rust or carbon build up etc.
Might pay to read this local write up, maybe better than others available from Red Line outlets. It's not everyone's solution, for me it's proved itself and that is what counts at the end of the weeks work a reliable van.
Richard.
www.redlineoil.com.au

talkinghorse43

I use Amalgamated's TDR-S, but only because it's cheap and has a high concentration of cetane boosting 2EHN. Amalgamated also claims detergency, lubricity, stability, and water dispersing qualities, but I think std ULSD fuel is probably OK for these. Has done well for my '02 as the engine makes less combustion noise, runs smoother, produces much less soot, and gets about 1 mpg extra.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
My Sprinter's always burned a small concentration of biodiesel, between 2% and 5% since the odometer read 34 miles.

I use the biodiesel for the lubricity benefit.

For more info, read the Stanadyne report and the Study commissioned Arlen Spicer and "The Diesel Page" website.

In the first year, I used 2-5% biodiesel and RL-2 for cetane improvment, still more lubricity and RL-2's cleaning reputation.

This year, I've been using Amalgamated's product, three (3) ounces per 10 gallons. Almalgmated's cheaper than RL-2 and I've noticed no difference in DPF "passive" regneration frequency (every 700 miles). I've also never had an EGR system issue and I idle my engine all the time in stop-n-go (mostly "stop") traffic.

According to the two studies I've read, 2-3% biodiesel knocks the HFRR (High Frequency Reciprocating Rig) Test metric from 600 in the sample of fuel to the 200-300 range. The Daimler spec of 460 is cited in MB spec sheet 132.1, page 2. You can find the spec sheet on bevo.daimler.com. The sheet also lists a requested minimum cetane of 40. Amalgamated's product can increase the cetane rating from something like 38 to 44. If your local petroleum suppliers are doing their job, you'd go from 40 to 46, giving yourself 20% over the Daimler requested 40.

I think talkinghorse43 has found the best "insurance" against dubious fuel properties in Amalgamated's TDR product.

TDR-S smells a lot like Liqui Molly injector cleaner from BAS and smells a lot like RL-2, as well. The smell might just be 2EHN, but it also might be detergents or some other chemical they have in common. I don't know and I'm not paying a lab four figures to test the products.

I'm just guessing here, but I am betting, literally betting, my fuel system on a small concentration of bio diesel + TDR to keeping my nozzles, valves and other components clean and lubricated.

-Jon

Last edited:

efickel

I am new to the Sprinter family. We just purchased a 2007 10 Passenger Wagon. I've called the area fuel stations to see what they could tell me about the diesel dispensed at their pumps. Not much :) After reading around the forum, I found some advice to call the companies that deliver the diesel to the stations.

As it turns out, Paulson Oil Company is right here in my town. I called and they provided some information, still not as much as I would hope. They can't tell me the exact cetane number because it is always changing. They purchase fuel from a number of big suppliers (Mobil, Exxon, et al.). They then add their own blend of additives. They call it Duraguard. Here is a link to the website: http://www.pocooil.com/ultimate_diesel.htm. Can anyone tell if this will suffice, or whether I need to add more? What questions should I ask fo POCOs fuel department?

I also called the Pilot near me. They currently only dispense bio-diesel. Their stickers indicate biomass between 5% and 20%. The gentlemen I spoke to said that right now, it runs around B10-B12. I believe that is outside the allowable amount according to the manual. He had no idea what the cetane number would be, except it would be at least 40. Is it safe to use this?

The previous owner of the van used the Redline products RL-85. I think he forgot during one fueling stop, if I can read his records properly.

So, which fuel should I buy? Should I add cetane booster to either one, or both?

-ERF

Awww c'mon .... inquiring minds wanna know ....... :tongue:
Too bad my chemical research lab maintenance days are gone. We once had them run commercial paint stripper through a Hewlett Packard 5890 Gas Chromatograph (like on My Cousin Vinny) to get the formula. From there it was cookbook chemistry to mix the stuff. Ah, the good ol' days.... AP

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
I am new to the Sprinter family. We just purchased a 2007 10 Passenger Wagon. I've called the area fuel stations to see what they could tell me about the diesel dispensed at their pumps. Not much :) After reading around the forum, I found some advice to call the companies that deliver the diesel to the stations.

As it turns out, Paulson Oil Company is right here in my town. I called and they provided some information, still not as much as I would hope. They can't tell me the exact cetane number because it is always changing. They purchase fuel from a number of big suppliers (Mobil, Exxon, et al.). They then add their own blend of additives. They call it Duraguard. Here is a link to the website: http://www.pocooil.com/ultimate_diesel.htm. Can anyone tell if this will suffice, or whether I need to add more? What questions should I ask fo POCOs fuel department?

I also called the Pilot near me. They currently only dispense bio-diesel. Their stickers indicate biomass between 5% and 20%. The gentlemen I spoke to said that right now, it runs around B10-B12. I believe that is outside the allowable amount according to the manual. He had no idea what the cetane number would be, except it would be at least 40. Is it safe to use this?

The previous owner of the van used the Redline products RL-85. I think he forgot during one fueling stop, if I can read his records properly.

So, which fuel should I buy? Should I add cetane booster to either one, or both?

-ERF
You're right: B10-B12 is outside the guidelines in the owners manual. Having said that, there are NCV3s running around the country on B10, B15 and B20 w/o issue. That would be your choice. If I were you, I wouldn't have a problem using Pilot's facilities.

Generally speaking, the high-volume fuel sites are going to have product which is more fresh and they'll react to a problem faster. Fuel up where the cement trucks get fuel.

Given the location of Paulson, I'd recommend you go to http://www.fuelman.com/ and get a commerical fuelling card to access "cardlock" stations. Expeditors that service a given area, construction supply delivery firms (think siding, roofing materials, concrete etc) often use cardlock systems.

In my experience, cardlock sites refresh their diesel dispensing tanks more often than say, the local Chevron station... you know the one... it sells candy bars and potato chips, hot dogs and soft drinks the "store" (where they make their most money) and by the pumps there are lines of minivans waiting to get gas. I don't buy fuel there. I stick with the commerical sites. In fact, I don't think I've pumped fuel into my Sprinter from a consumer site, yet. There's always a CFN site near by that I'll use instead.

If you want to ask Paulson questions: Download the spec sheets from bevo.daimler.com, read the spec sheets on fuel, drop by Paulson and say, "here's my fuel requirements. is your fuel compliant?" In today's economy, I'd expect a petroleum jobber like Paulson to entertain your questions with patience and sincerity.

-Jon

efickel

You're right: B10-B12 is outside the guidelines in the owners manual. Having said that, there are NCV3s running around the country on B10, B15 and B20 w/o issue. That would be your choice. If I were you, I wouldn't have a problem using Pilot's facilities.

-Jon
Jon,

Thank you for the information. I have one more question, for now. Would it work to alternate fueling stops between a B0 and a B10 station to achieve something close to B5? I would attempt re-fuel at approximately half-tank. I realize that it would never be B5. What do you think?

BTW -- I'm reading the sheets at BEVO. That is quite a bit of information.

-ERF

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
You can certainly add X gallons of B20 to Y gallons of classic road diesel to end up with B5, or an approximation...

I do that. However, I'm fortunate enough to have a source of B99 across the street from the CFN site that I habitually use.

The letter of the (warranty) law, so to speak, is that we're not supposed to splash mix like that, but that's not practical in Seattle.

My method's worked fine for me so far. If something goes wrong, I know that I'll deal with it and I won't complain or blame anyone else, but I really don't think I'm going to have any issues.

-Jon

Barrelsaver

Many thanks for the info folks! It sounds like the Amalgamated TDR-S is a sure choice .... now, if I can find where to buy it. There are no bio-diesel sources around the Tulsa area that I know about or I would use Jon's proven approach to mixing it in.... I'll let you know what I find.
TK

efickel

Many thanks for the info folks! It sounds like the Amalgamated TDR-S is a sure choice .... now, if I can find where to buy it.
TK
Amalgamated Inc. is located in Fort Wayne, Indiana (Northeast Indiana). There are no retail outlets for their products. So, if you want it, you will have to order it from them and have it shipped. A friend is delivering 5 gallons of TDR-S for me tomorrow. The cost with Indiana sales tax is around $100. I don't know what shipping would have cost. Here is the contact information:

Amalgamated Inc
www.amalgamatedinc.com
6211 Discount Dr
Fort Wayne, IN 46818
(260) 489-2549

-ERF

Barrelsaver

Amalgamated TDR-S Diesel Fuel Additive

I thought you might want to know ... I call Amalgamated today and talked with a very knowledgeable Gary who said they sell primarily to refiners and jobbers who mix in volume. "How many tank car would you like?"

However, due to such a favorable report and many calls from some test results published " somewhere ", they are offering 5 gal. cans on TDR-S for $97.50, plus HazMat freight. I ordered 5 gal. that may take a week or so to get here. I'll keep you all posted.
TK:cheers:

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
What is the mixing ratio for the Amalgamated TDR-S? How many gallons does a 5 gallon pail serve?

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
Is it practical to add the additive directly in the filler neck after each fill up? Wait... add the stuff before the fuel, so it mixes while it's filling too.

Anyone care to take a stab at how many oz. per gallon 5 gallons per 420 gallons equals to?

Is it practical to add the additive directly in the filler neck after each fill up? Wait... add the stuff before the fuel, so it mixes while it's filling too.

Anyone care to take a stab at how many oz. per gallon 5 gallons per 420 gallons equals to?
Adding the stuff at the filler neck before pumping should do just fine.

From the previous posts I read I think the question is 5 gallons per 2110 gallons, not 420.

Math is not my strong point, here goes:

5 gallons divided by 2110 gallons = 0.00238
We'll round that to 0.0025 to keep things easier. So 0.25% concentration.

10 gallon fuel = 1280 oz.

0.25% of 1280 oz. = 3.2 oz.

So 3.2 oz. per 10 gallons or 8 oz. per 25 gallon almost empty tank fill up.

5 gallons of product x 128 = 640 oz.

Anyone please correct me if I figured this out wrong. Hope this does some good. AP

Last edited:

talkinghorse43

My addition target is 8 oz for 25 gal of fuel, but I'm not anal about it and I know I've added at a higher rate than that. I've treated ~1650 gallons of fuel so far with my first 5 gal of TDR-S and I have ~1/2 gal remaining. I figure it's probably better to overdose a little than underdose.

efickel

The person I spoke to at Amalgamated, Inc. said to mix at 3 oz. TDR-S per 10 gallons of diesel. That's approximately 8 oz per 25 gallons.

-ERF

The person I spoke to at Amalgamated, Inc. said to mix at 3 oz. TDR-S per 10 gallons of diesel. That's approximately 8 oz per 25 gallons.

-ERF
You got me. I was 0.2 oz off from the distributor's recommendation. :lol: (My first ever smiley add-on, and you were here to enjoy it.) At least you confirm my math was correct. Thanks, AP

Top Bottom