Comparing Sprinter Sizes 144 vs 170 vs 170 Extended: What Size Do You Have and Why?

JonathanPage

Hey everyone, This post has been created to talk about the three different NCV3 Sprinter Lengths (144, 170, & 170 ext) and why you chose that particular length. Have you been happy with your Sprinter's length? Or, have you found one size to be too long or too short? Have you gotten ever been inconvenienced due to the length of your Sprinter? Do you ever find yourself finding you wish yours was the next size up or the next size down? Do you have dedicated bathroom/shower space in your Sprinter? Hopefully this helps anyone thinking about sizing their Sprinter up or down.

Last edited:
H

hmbltn

I've had my 2017 170 crew for a couple months now and I have no regrets about the size. I debated the 144 versus 170 for well over a year and I ultimately decided I didn't want to be disappointed down the road that I didn't have more space. I intend to use my van for many things, including hauling motorcycles, mountain bikes, camping and hauling logs and/or milled slabs that might be 8'-10' in length or more. I also wanted the crew seat and liked the idea of still having ample space with the crew seat versus having to remove the crew seat in a 144 to gain the additional space, if needed.

I have a couple friends with a 144 and 170, so I was able to lean on them for their personal experiences as well. My 170 friend's advice was simple: It either fits or it doesn't. I've never NOT been able to park it. You just might need to park in the far corners of a parking lot or a few extra blocks away but you'll always be able to park it, or not.

I've been driving it a lot around town, parking in a variety of different places and, so far, I've had zero issues with parking. Sometimes I just have to park far away to ensure a double-space without pissing people off. The one important consideration I am now having to deal with is where I can live. I will soon be moving to Seattle and having a 170 Sprinter pretty much rules out living in any sort of apartment building or downtown dwelling with garage parking. Having a 170 is limiting the places I can live to a house, preferably with a driveway or off-street parking. I don't really want my Sprinter parked on a busy, narrow street. These are considerations I didn't quite think about before buying the 170. Not a big issue for me. I'm over living in densely populated urban settings any way.

The 170 extended was never an option. That's a bit too long imho.

Last edited:

ptheland

2013 144" low top Passgr
Way too much of your question depends on how you intend to use your Sprinter. I'm very happy with my 144 for transporting my two wheelchair bound passengers. I've got more than enough room. I wouldn't want either of the 170 variants for my purpose.

If I were building a camper, the 170s would certainly come into play.

So what use do you have in mind?

autostaretx

Erratic Member
We have a 118" T1N ... it's perfect for us (we take 5 week live-in-van trips).
16' 6" (including step bumper) overall length.
16' curb-to-curb turning radius (32' diameter).

The NCV3 is made in a "short" length (122", i think), but MB doesn't import it to the US.

--dick

gardenerbob

I ended up with 2nd 144 wb rather than the 170 because I have a very narrow driveway and the 144 fits perfectly. I worried that the 170 would bottom out going up a steep incline(my driveway is on a steep grade), and would be difficult to maneuver in Manhattan streets, though I would enjoy having a bit more space to haul stuff around.
In hindsight, I probably should rent a 170wb and see how much difficulty would be added...
B

sailquik

If you are interested in towing, look at the 516/519/3500 (USA) 170 inch (4325 mm) wheel base.
I thought that the 144" wheelbase 516/519/3500 USA would be better for towing, due to the shorter wheelbase and significantly less
rear overhang.
I bought one in 2010.
The 144 3500 did tow a lot better than the 2006 158" wb 516/3500 (USA) T1N I traded in, but without the trailer on the back, the ride was very
rough and choppy due to the heavier duty rear suspension. Towing Capacity on the 2010 519/3500 144" wb was 7,500/750 lbs.
So, to gain a little more interior length (to accomdate a 14 foot Adirondak Vermont Fishing Dory with the rear doors closed) I traded that
Sprinter in on a 2011 519/3500 170" (4325 mm) Sprinter. Towing capacity 7,500 lbs./750 lbs tongue weight with the factory towing cross member
factory trailer wiring.
That one was totaled in a deer crash and the wreck traded in on an identical 2012 519/3500.
When I heard that they were coming out with the OM-651 2.143 liter I-4 inline with the 7G-Tronic 7 speed transmission in 2014 I ordered my current Sprinter with all the options and the suspension seats. Towing capacity is again 7500/750 lbs.
The overall comfort and ride quality, with the factory suspension seats is far better than any of my previous Sprinters, even unloaded
and not towing.
With the trailer (in the photo....5,120 lbs. behind a 7,500 lbs. Sprinter) I can run all day comfortably. Fuel mileage with the
trailer is in the 15-17 mpg range at 12,000 + CGVW).
Without the trailer, the fuel mileage a very consistent 23 MPG ( up from 19 mpg with the 519/3500 3.0 liter V6's and 5G-Tronic 5 speed
transmissions that required quite a bit of manual downshifting when towing.
Now with 153,000+ virtually trouble free miles the 2014 still gets 23.0 mpg when not towing 5,000 + lbs.
Roger

Last edited:

Flagster

our 144" is perfect for two...stealth camped over 100 nights last year. never wanted more space...but we don't have plumbing/shower...more space would just mean we take more bikes...and six right now is plenty...haha

HighPockets

I bought a 144" for convenience in parking. No bath (potty for emergencies) and shower on the back door with through away propane cylinders. I have a fridge, sink, 3rd seat and nice full length bed. More room would be nice if we lived in it.

Gene

Vailcomp

I have the 144 with a pop top. Has worked out perfect for my wife and I. It is a daily driver so the shorter rig works. It fits in parking spots. The 170 is a whole other rig a lot bigger.

All depends on what you want. I am happy with the 144

irvingj

2015 RT SS Agile (3.0L)
We have an upfitter (Roadtrek) RV with the 144 wheelbase. For two people, it's great. I prefer the shorter size for maneuvering in cities/towns/traffic, as well as being able to park anywhere a 4-dr pickup will fit (except, of course, for height). I should add that we do not carry bikes, though I'm re-thinking that.

The only issue we've had is that the bath is quite small (but at least we have one), barely adequate for taking a shower -- we're not large people, but it is possible. Solution: use campground showers. There are times I wish we had a bit more space, but not often. Overall really like the "short" one.

Wrinkledpants

2017 144WB 4x4
If you don't prioritize parking or plan to use in tougher offroad conditions, no reason not to get the 170 aside from cost. A 170 4x4 can be driven on most fire roads, but it's just too big to be used in tougher offroad conditions. The departure angle and break over will keep you to more modest fire roads. Most parking spots are made for vehicles in the 18-20 ft range. The 170 is nearly 23 ft long, and just not feasible to park in urban areas reliably. Fedex can't park their 170 in front of our building, except in the loading zone since they don't fit in a metered spot. The 144 WB sprinters can park in metered parking.

We'll be doing a lot of offroad driving, we live in an urban area, and we value being able to park in other urban areas when traveling so the 144 was the natural choice. We're planning our build around occasionally carrying bikes inside (mostly outside on a hitch rack), driving with 4, and sleeping with 4, but it takes a lot more ingenuity and planning to do so. We'll still have a shower (not enclosed with walls, though) and have all the things we could do in a 170, just not as conveniently or comfortably or all at the same time. We can drive with 4, but not sleep with 4. Vice versa - can sleep 4, but not drive with 4. That situation works fine for us as we can use a tent or sleep on the roof.

MrB

I have a 170 outfitted as a camper. It has all the space we need for bathroom/shower/storage/lg. bed etc. With a bike rack on back it's pushing 25 feet long. I'm comfortable with that length but any longer, I could save a lot of money and buy a class c.

asimba2

ourkaravan.com
I chose a 144 for maneuverability. It even fits in a Trader Joe's parking space which, as many people know, are designed to accommodate only 95% of the width of a Plug-in Prius or Nissan Leaf.

randm

144 for same reason as asimba2. Originally wanted a 170 and after driving all 3 models, the 144 just felt better.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

dynaco1

I have a family of four. Have owned all three (144, 170, 170ext).

As a daily driver, 144 is easy around town but too small for our four-person vacations. To me, the 170ext is more of a touring van and has the smoothest ride. I normally take two car lengths (bumper-to-bumper), wherever I park the 170ext. Lots of space for four big people inside.

I have never owned a dually (DRW).

Last edited:

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
Depends on your requirements and height. Over 5'-10" and it is difficult to build an across the back bed platform so bed needs to be fore and aft. If a second row seat is required then longer wheelbase would be required. A 144" WB can be built with everything two people require.

I had a 144" WB Sprinter and would not have wanted a 170" WB. Bought a 148" WB Transit which is about the same length.No need for a longer van.

oldoarsman

We have a 144” 2500 high top passenger Sprinter that we had converted to accommodate our son who uses a wheelchair. When not transporting our son, I find that it fits into regular parking places very well. People are amazed to see me back in (we have a rear camera). It is very maneuverable and easy to drive. If we replace it someday, we might consider the 170” wheel base, but do far I have been able to carry all of our gear inside. We have driven to Key West and Maine several times and hope to head out west in the next few years. This van and its modifications makes it possible to travel with our son.

Top Bottom