hand crank engine ?

pikeslip

Hey guys
If anyone could advise me on how to find TDC on cylinders and when valves are closed .
Reason is Klann has a new price sheet for 2017 which brings ther kit KL-0369-30 K to $1350.00 for removing stuck glow plugs .
Inorder to use compressed air threw injector port. Piston being worked on has to be TDC and valves closed .
Can I just put a socket and ratchet on crank shaft pully to turn crank?
2006 dodge sprinter om647
appreciated

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Download the 2006 service manual from here: http://diysprinter.co.uk/reference/2006-VA-SM.pdf

On page 9-29 (section 9 "engine", page 29) there's a drawing that shows the marks on the crankshaft pulley that identify TDC.

Without exposing the timing chains, i'd just try adding the air to #1 cylinder and see what happens. If the valve is open, you'll hear about it. If the air escapes, rotate the engine 1 turn.

Yes, you can then use a wrench on the crankshaft pulley bolt to rotate the crank (always rotate "forward": clockwise as seen from front (arrow drawn on pulley diagram on page 9-29))

--dick
p.s. Bobnoxious' suggestion is commonly mentioned in other threads ... search for "glow plug remove"

Last edited:

Patrick of M

2005 T1N 2500 (NA spec)
You can turn the crank from the crank pulley. That is how you find the torque converter drain plug. Of course with you plan, hopefully you get the injector out without any problems. Do your research, there are less intrusive/expensive ways to remove broken gp, there is a little $150 kit that people here have used successfully.

Esquivelia

You can turn the crank from the crank pulley. That is how you find the torque converter drain plug. Of course with you plan, hopefully you get the injector out without any problems. Do your research, there are less intrusive/expensive ways to remove broken gp, there is a little $150 kit that people here have used successfully.

Also I'm pretty sure you should only be turning in one direction. Can't remember which.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pikeslip

Download the 2006 service manual from here: http://diysprinter.co.uk/reference/2006-VA-SM.pdf

On page 9-29 (section 9 "engine", page 29) there's a drawing that shows the marks on the crankshaft pulley that identify TDC.

Without exposing the timing chains, i'd just try adding the air to #1 cylinder and see what happens. If the valve is open, you'll hear about it. If the air escapes, rotate the engine 1 turn.

Yes, you can then use a wrench on the crankshaft pulley bolt to rotate the crank (always rotate "forward": clockwise as seen from front (arrow drawn on pulley diagram on page 9-29))

--dick
p.s. Bobnoxious' suggestion is commonly mentioned in other threads ... search for "glow plug remove"

Thank you for info!!!

Top Bottom