Damaged Plug - How to Repair?

theOMsound

Hey all!

My blower has been acting up intermittently and I finally found the cause - a sketchy plug. Do you have any idea of how to repair this? (see photo) I've been making it work by bending the wires until the connection is made and then closing the hood carefully and hoping that it'll stay in place while I drive....not ideal when it's -25C in Montreal and it might randomly cut out.

I have minimal electrical-type tools... Thanks in advance!

Attachments

theOMsound

If a used one will do I probably have one on a wreck out the back.
Let me know
Dennis
Hey Dennis,
Yeah I'd be fine with a used one! But the wire is the issue, not the plug as far as I can tell. With a new/used plug will it be possible to insert the wires easily so they hold? Sorry if this is a noob question.

Do you have other random parts too? I've been looking for a wreck to source from but everyone near Montreal only has the big parts. (I need stuff like striker plate/pins, parking brake equalizer, etc...)

Thanks!
Orion

lindenengineering

Hey Dennis,
Yeah I'd be fine with a used one! But the wire is the issue, not the plug as far as I can tell. With a new/used plug will it be possible to insert the wires easily so they hold? Sorry if this is a noob question.

Do you have other random parts too? I've been looking for a wreck to source from but everyone near Montreal only has the big parts. (I need stuff like striker plate/pins, parking brake equalizer, etc...)

Thanks!
Orion
Well I can probably supply you with a "cut" ! So all you need to do is do the same with yours., Basically cut off the wire pigtails & socket and solder in a new plug 'n wire pigtails.
Job done.
PM me with what you need. And yes we bust up a few Sprinters for parts on the hoof, &
making room for more Landrovers on the highways & byeways.:lol:
Dennis

carpenterpat

If you have the proper tool, you can slip the teminal out of the connector. The proper tool is a tiny plastic sleeve that compresses the barbs that hold the terminal in place in the connector. A coffee stirrer might be the right size and stiff enough. The proper tool has a slit along its length, so it can expand slightly. Forcing it into the connector, and over (around) the barbs on the copper terminal will allow you to pull wire and terminal out the back of the connector with the tool or straw keeping the barbs from digging in and stopping rearward progress. I have also used tiny flat blade screwdrivers in a pinch, but much more difficult. If you can get another connector, soler it in, and cover with heat shrink tubing.

carpenterpat

If you can remove the terminal, then you only need to solder one wire instead of two! The hardest part will be opening the crimp on the original terminal, where the wire is crimped in. Again, a tiny flat screwdriver is really helpful.

theOMsound

If you can remove the terminal, then you only need to solder one wire instead of two! The hardest part will be opening the crimp on the original terminal, where the wire is crimped in. Again, a tiny flat screwdriver is really helpful.
Great, thanks! I'll give that a shot first!

Top Bottom