Hitch and hammock questions

GoFaster100

My new 2005 2500 long has the factory step on the back of it. I need to buy a receiver but I want the one that goes back under the step. The rep at Curt gave me model number 13250 but it sure doesn't look like it's the right one in the pics and he didnt sound very sure. Can anyone tell me for sure what model receiver I need?

Next question: is my high roof structure strong enough to hang a hammock? I'd run the straps around a beam obv. Total weight with me and the GF would be 310.

Don't rely upon a single beam or spot to support a hammock, especially for two. Distribute those points of weight carrying with a piece of strong hardwood or metal wider than a single point.

As a decades long hammock man, I have always had a hammock in my vans over the years.

For my 06 2500, 158", I mounted the rear hook support at the point of the opening in the bulkhead over the rear axle. I have cut a 3' square window of sorts in this bulkhead so I can crawl back there without having to go outside. I do have a futon bed I can put into the rear storage area on top of some floor cabinet storage pieces I put in.

For the front, my van came with a shelf above the driver and front passenger seat that the original up-fitter provided. Just above the windshield in the center is a 4" by 6" panel that I removed and installed a piece of hardwood at least a foot long by 4" high into that space. To this piece I put a hook before replacing the decorative panel back into place. The headliner is able to support my hammock. The might not be the case for two people. The seats that came with my limo set up can be moved out of the way with the steel floor mounted brackets, to give the hammock the space it needs.

A hammock for two is a blast. With the ford and chevy vans I had decades go, a simple metal hook with four steel screws into the framework was sufficient and never pulled out. For our Sprinters, there is a lack of strength that needs the weight distributed across a couple of beams, if not more. Maybe a piece of iron across several beams could handle the weight of two. The front above the windshield is problematical. The beam above the front seat may be the only point that could used support. I needed the extra length above the windshield mounting point I chose because of the bulkhead above the rear axle. You have to work with what you have.

I did come up with a portable hammock stand that comes apart in pieces for easy storage for setting up under a tarp off the side door. Those outside yard rope hammocks are brutally uncomfortable, but the steel stands that come with them can be made to work with the string hammocks by adding some pipe pieces to elevate the hooks on each end in a curve back bending of sorts. The top pieces need to curve so the hammock clears the hammock stand support ends. Sorry no pics from this dinosaur.

A thought about using the hammock points of support in our Sprinters. Having a temporary vertical to the floor piece of pipe or wood at the hook points, could prevent sagging of the beams, and be an easy thing to remove when not using the hammock. The Sprinters beams need some reinforcing, thus my first thought about distributing the weight. Its all food for thought and there many ways to achieve what you want. This is just one or two. Thanks to all here.

Nautamaran

2004 140” HRC 2500 (Crewed)
My kids requested hammocks rather than pipe-cots, but I had concerns about the roof too.
My solution was to add cross bars from side to side, with four 5/16” rivnuts at each end into the frame rail above the windows.
Two hammocks swing between the rear and slider door on my 140wb, with a third (!) above the front seats.
I bowed a piece of 1”x1”x1/8” square tubing and bolted it into the frame above the windshield just above the sun visor mounts, with eye bolts poking through the head liner that hold the front corners of the hammock. The rear corners attach to the bar behind the 2nd row bench.
My wife and I share the queen-sized futon, with a cargo drawer under for our luggage and camp kitchen. With the rear bench we seat five, and with the hammocks can park and sleep five too.

Attachments

Last edited:

Top Bottom