2010 313 with strange gear issue !!!

jason_app

The problem is I can’t get it into any gear, but this only happens on first cold start of the day.

Two ways it happens:

1. Before I start the engine I can push the clutch in and engage every gear no problem.
If I keep the clutch pushed down and start the van I can still engage every gear.
But as soon as I release the clutch and push it down again now the engine is running I can’t get it into any gears.

2. If i don’t push the clutch in and just start the engine I can’t get it into any gear either.

Basically on the first cold start once you start the engine it won’t allow any gear, but I don’t understand why it will before you start the engine.
Once you wiggle it around and keeping trying to force it into gear it eventually lets you have one, then they all slot into place. No problem for rest of the day.

But this happens every single day on first start up.

Any ideas appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eric Experience

Jason.
That is classic oil on clutch plate problem. The oil sticks the plate to the flywheel when cold but as the oil warms up it has less stick. The trick is to find out where the oil is coming from. Remove the inspection plug under the clutch and sample the oil. It could be brake fluid or gear oil, they both smell very different. Eric.

jason_app

Only thing I’d say there is best in mind even when cold I can press clutch in and out and select all gears fine. All until I start the engine.

jason_app

Jason
That is exactly what you would expect with a stuck plate. Eric.

There’s already a big opening where I’m guessing the space is mounted. Looks like should be a cover but most say don’t worry about it.
Can clearly see pressure plate and flywheel through hole. Even big enough to test slack in dmf :).

Haven’t looked in there since having problems though.

jason_app

This is all just an addition to the problems I already have which I suspect to be clutch and flywheel.

Other issues:
Vibration on acceleration particularly around 45-50 then 70 at its worse but there through most ranges. Feels like rotational vibration then a shudder as it clears past the vibration and smooths out.

Rattle coming from inside bell housing in start up especially when hot.

And rattle on idle which to me sounds like slight dmf rattle.

Gear selection problem is a new problem to go with these others. Vibration seems to be getting worse.

Any idea?

Top Bottom