PDA

View Full Version : Is this an Auxiliary fuel port for 2005?

rcostanza
12-08-2017, 07:43 PM
Hi, i am preparing to install an airtronix heater by reading the forum and have seen many images that don't seem to match what I find under my van.

My question concerns getting fuel to the espar pump for my 2005 Sprinter. the pictures I've seen seem to show a flange on top of the tank with a fuel outlet port, a return port and an aux port. I have two hardlines coming forward over the top of the tank going to the engine. These two hardlines seem to come from a dual coiled heat exchanger mounted onto the back of the tank. I can't seem to feel a flange up top there.

I did snap an image of this connector hanging out near the top of the tank . Can I attach the pump directly to that port? Is there a specific adapter/connector needed? Or is the procedure to drop the tank and I'll find that flange where I can connect to the aux port (after extending it down near bottom of tank).

I'm okay w dropping the gas tank but I'd like to have any fittings or adapters on hand so I can reassembly everything the same day. Thanks for any insights! :)

rcostanza
12-08-2017, 08:42 PM
...well looking at the 05 service manual I found here I see that port (from the jpg above) maybe only fuel vapor from the two check valves on the top of the tank. Also there is a flange and fuel tank module shown, unfortuneatly, from the drawings, no KL1 aux port on the flange in 2005. So how are people plumbing the airtronix heater fuel for 2005 sprinters? forgive my ignorance, every time I search this forum I get no results. If i use google search I get some great discussions for years 2007 and up.

davisdave
12-08-2017, 09:06 PM
Do you have the hydronic heater booster? You could tee off of its fuel line.

rcostanza
12-08-2017, 11:08 PM
no, I saw no booster when i looked ~ it'd be mounted in the front drivers side of the van, in or beneath the engine compartment as i recall reading. I'll double check, thanks.

davisdave
12-08-2017, 11:43 PM
Is your pic at the front of the tank? The following link shows what mine looks like at the front...

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showpost.php?p=81394&postcount=10

Yes, heater booster located behind drivers side headlight.

Midwestdrifter
12-09-2017, 03:31 AM
The odds are, if you don't have a factory heater/booster, then you don't have the Aux tap. Normally its located in the in tank unit, near the main fuel feed.

If you don't have one, you will want to drop the tank to install a stand pipe.

Aqua Puttana
12-09-2017, 01:08 PM
This is an OM647 pump with the fuel tap option.

Some of the NCV3 information may apply to the OM647 fuel tap "stub" if that is found on your pump.
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?p=600116#post600116

:cheers: vic

rcostanza
12-09-2017, 07:51 PM
so to install a standpipe i drill a hole in the top of the tank and insert the standpipe/fitting provided w the airtronix kit? just trying to get this all clear in my mind b/c i need to drop and reinstall the tank in one day. want to line up all the parts ahead of time. thanks.

Midwestdrifter
12-09-2017, 08:18 PM
so to install a standpipe i drill a hole in the top of the tank and insert the standpipe/fitting provided w the airtronix kit? just trying to get this all clear in my mind b/c i need to drop and reinstall the tank in one day. want to line up all the parts ahead of time. thanks.

Pretty much. You need a non-hardening diesel compatible sealant, as the espar fuel pickup tube may not seal perfectly. Permatex #2 gasket sealant is available at most automotive stores, and does a good job (it is a bit messy). You will want to liberally coat all the mating surfaces, the insert washer, and the threads.

You need to measure and cut the tube to length. There are a couple of flat areas on the top of the tank that will work for the hole. Obviously use the correct sized drill (a step drill or hole saw works, a paddle bit may work if you are careful), and be very sure where you drill at.

Aqua Puttana
12-09-2017, 08:46 PM
I thought that drilling holes into poly tanks wasn't a good way to install a stand pipe/fuel pickup? I would think that drilling a hole in the fuel pump plastic plate is a bit better. The location would then be close to the OEM position if that has any impact.

I find that step drill bits work nicely when drilling plastic. Twist drills have a tendency to grab and pull in without drilling a clean hole.

:2cents: vic

rcostanza
12-12-2017, 07:48 PM
okay, thanks for the tips, it's pretty clear too me now :) Next week i'll get to this!