A simple rear light install (using backup cam housing)

Dave D

So today, in addition to adding neoprene K-Flex (like Aeroflex) insulation throughout the van, I also installed a rear light that integrates seamlessly into the OEM rear camera mount and thought I'd share the details.

The light is a 9 watt Cree LED floodlight from SpeedTech Lights. https://www.speedtechlights.com/led-off-road-light-bars/micro-carbine-LED-off-road-surface-mount
The light is in an aluminum frame with a thick rubber mount that looks like it will seal well. It mounts directly onto the OEM camera mount, and the wiring fits into the camera wiring conduit, so no drilling in the van, just 3 small holes in the plastic mount. Took all of 15 minutes to install. It will be switchable for backup or general use. Pics below show the install.

Attachments

mcouper

Re: A simple rear light install

Nice! I’ve been thinking about doing something like that for a while. I tried to get a Baja Designs S2 Sport flush mount LED light mounted there but it was a bit too large. Thought about using one of the Baja Designs Roc Light but the tech didn’t think it would be bright enough. I have a surface mount S2 light waiting to be mounted.

Your setup looks great. I’m interested in hearing how much light it provides and how you tie it into the backup lights.

Thanks for the post!

Casey

Dave D

Re: A simple rear light install

Nice! I’ve been thinking about doing something like that for a while. I tried to get a Baja Designs S2 Sport flush mount LED light mounted there but it was a bit too large. Thought about using one of the Baja Designs Roc Light but the tech didn’t think it would be bright enough. I have a surface mount S2 light waiting to be mounted.

Your setup looks great. I’m interested in hearing how much light it provides and how you tie it into the backup lights.

Thanks for the post!

Casey
I've tested it and it's bright enough for localized work behind the van and lights up the limited field of view of the OEM camera much better than the backup lights. Not nearly as bright as some bigger LED lights out there, but the mounting simplicity and streamlined look won out. For comparison, most MR16 LED bulbs are only 3 watts.

You could probably operate it on a relay that would turn-on with the camera, but I want to use use it anytime, so I'm just going to have it switched at a vacant dash switch location.

sprint2freedom

2008 NCV3 170ext
Is that rubber mount required, or can you install without it and keep the total thickness to 1/2 inch?

These lights are currently 4pk for $40, plus S&H. Looks to be a pretty good deal for someone thinking about adding outside lighting. :hmmm:

Dave D

It comes with both an optional flat and curved rubber mount. It’s 0.5” thick and completely epoxy sealed on the back, so shouldn’t leak without the rubber mount. The mount is designed to route the wire out the side, bottom or center.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom