Oil Filter Blues 2006 sprinter: DOESN'T FIT!

I bought an OEM oil filter from the dealer for my 2006 3500 Sprinter. They gave me a box labeled A6111800009. The filter inside the new box has A1121840025 printed on top of it.

My old filter has black rubber end caps seals molded over both ends. The new filter (A6111800009) DOES NOT have these rubber end caps and will NOT FIT over the spike on the inside of my oil filter cap. My oil filter cap is P/N (A6111800210) and appears to be OEM.

Did they sell me the wrong oil filter, or am I missing why this new one will not slide over oil filter cap's internals? A lengthy web search shows the filter the dealer sold me (A6111800009) could fit???

Any info would be appreciated, it is 11:30pm East coast time and I have a bloodletted work van immobile in the driveway. First oil change since buying the rig.

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
The OEM (Mann) oil filter has phenolic resin impregnated end caps.

It will be an intentionally TIGHT fit onto the center post. That is by design.

Don't be shy about forcing it on, just be careful not to damage the fragile end of the post, the one with the smallest o-ring.

That o-ringed end is the 'cork' that seals the filter canister and allows oil pressure to build in the oil galleries. If it is broken the cap/post must be discarded!

Doktor A

Kiltym

I just purchased the same, box states A611 180 00 09 which should be the correct filter.

Inside, on the filter, is A112 184 00 25.

Did the OP get this filter to fit properly? I will post photos as it is a bit strange to me seeing a different part # on the part then what is on the box....

Kiltym

Photos

This is my first oil change also, so want to be sure the filter is correct before I remove the old one and have an issue....

Seems it should be OK, but is odd the filter has diff part # on it... no?

Also, on the first photo, you can see a minor "defect" in that some of the pleats are a bit fatter. I assume this is a non-issue....?

Attachments

Top Bottom