strange noise from my T1N. (video)

Norvan

'05 T1N 311cdi OM611
Hi all,

I've been reading a few posts here for a while with interest, and been meaning to sign up.

I've had my 2005 T1N for a few months, with 177000 on the clock. No issues so far except....

A few days ago after completing a short journey, after switching off the engine I hear a loud sucking/whirring noise from the bonnet. Ive not noticed it before and it has done this now on 2 our of 4 recent journeys, all short journeys ranging from 2 - 5 miles.

I've got a video of the sound which i've stuck on youtube for ease of sharing, perhaps that might help. The noise seems to be coming from underneath the battery housing, or in that general area. The noise lasted about 45 seconds from switching off the engine.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vO2s1yZ-aBU

Hope someone can help and tell me if this is an issue or not.

Cheers.

Fletch9871

Sounds like a Booster heater with bearings or motor brushes on the way out to me. Post a pic of your HVAC controls...Chris

Norvan

'05 T1N 311cdi OM611
Thanks Chris. I'm in work currently but controls are identical to those in this thread:

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14187

On the journey when this noise started, my girlfriend was messing around with the controls, and we were wondering what that switch was... starting to make sense now. But still, guessing it shouldn't be running that long after engine switch off?

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
The heater has a spin down process. So it does run a bit after stop.

Norvan

'05 T1N 311cdi OM611
45 seconds though? I read somewhere else on here that it was a matter of just a few seconds to stop.

45 seconds though?
Yes. The diesel fired heater needs to purge the combustion chamber.

Basic sequence of events.

The heater is cooking merrily along watching for the coolant temperature to get hot enough.

Before temperatures are achieved, the engine is shut down.

That triggers the combustion control turn down/purge cycle.

Fuel supply is cut off by the heater combustion controls.

The combustion blower continues to run for an air purge to get leftover fuel/combustion products out of the combustion chamber.

45 seconds sounds about right.

I read somewhere else on here that it was a matter of just a few seconds to stop.
That was likely related to the Electric Coolant Pump wind down timing.

vic

Top Bottom