Water pump replacement

Search words
water pump remove install replace replacement coolant anti-freeze leak seal

I have a small leak that is anti-freeze from the front of the engine. A search got me Ciprian's post.
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5475

And these.
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5170&highlight=replace+water+pump

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4429&highlight=coolant+pump
(Does the gasket need sealant? From DWalsh last post.)

I didn't find a specific write up for water pump replacement here or in the Yahoo forum, but my search skills suck. Is there one I missed?

I'm in exactly the same situation as Ciprian started although the leak is not terrible as yet. I have looked around a bit, but not enough to rule out possible hose leaks. Just a few glugs of G05 coolant brought the level up. With 189,000 miles, 2004 I think it is probably the water pump seal as it's inevitable I suppose. The timing sucks as I have a trip coming up, but better now than away from my tools.

I have the torque specs and info about the special bolt thread from Ciprian's thread. Thanks again Doktor A for sharing your knowledge. Does the gasket need sealant? (Unanswered DWalsh question.) Are there any special tools, watch outs, or tips I should know before starting my water pump replacement assuming it is needed? Thanks, AP/vic

rlent

Does the gasket need sealant? (Unanswered DWalsh question.)
Gaskets rarely, if ever, need sealant - provided that the surfaces the gasket is meant to seal are clean and in good shape (free from physical damage). Gasket "cement" however is often used - in order to hold the gasket in position long enough to accomplish assembly. The gasket's job is to form the seal.

Ciprian

Spark Plugs not allowed!
I haven't used any sealant on the gasket. Speaking of gaskets, the original gasket on the engine was some kind of metal gasket, but the new one that came from Europarts was regular gasket material.

I haven't used any sealant on the gasket. Speaking of gaskets, the original gasket on the engine was some kind of metal gasket, but the new one that came from Europarts was regular gasket material.
Ciprian,
Glad to hear from you because I know you have changed out your pump.

Just inside for a second from the Sprinter. I found a suspicious slightly damp area near a hose clamp and tightened the clamp. Now I need to make a long drive and see if that was it. It hasn't been leaking unless the engine gets heated, so maybe the seal is OK?????? I think I'm wishing.

No special tools needed that you found? The manual I have lists the steps basically as drain, loosen the the front frame, release the fan unit, pull the plastic fan shroud and fan out of the way together, then steps to remove the pump. Did you find it that basic?

Based upon rlent's comments about water pumps and mileage on expediter's Sprinters I ordered a pump from my local dealership in case anyway. With my discount it's in the ballpark for on-line cost, so I'll keep the purchase local. They claim it'll be here tomorrow. I'll let you know what gasket material I receive.

Damn, my mouse is now greasy........ again. AP/vic

Ciprian

Spark Plugs not allowed!
I did not use any special tools, but one is very usefull if you have it. It is the tool that let you hold on to the water pump to prevent it from turning when you loosen or tighten the pulley bolts and the center viscuous clutch bolt. Other than that, it is pretty straight forward.

Today the leak is a bit worse. I have finally been able to see up into the engine enough to see the coolant coming out of the pump shaft area.

The water pump came in to the dealership this morning as promised. It had a metal gasket in the box. I looked over the pump and noticed that the machined gasket faces had scuff marks where the surfacing was improperly done. There were several places that the depressions were quite easy to feel with a fingernail. I pointed it out to the parts guy. He is ordering another pump. Unfortunately it won't be in until Tuesday.

I'll be using my Dodge 2500 van for my trip. Great for towing....not so great for fuel economy. I'm quite spoiled now by the room in my Sprinter. I'll miss that too, but at least we're not camping this trip. AP

Top Bottom