3500 TPMS

Wine Country

Does a 15 3500 give you a warning if one wheel is running at a different speed for TPMS? I know there are no internal pressure TPMS. I have four external on the rear and would hope the fronts may give me a warning if a wheel is not the same speed, like the first gen TPMS.

sailquik

Without any external TPMS sensors on the front wheels, you will get no warning.
Your ABS/ESP wheel speed sensors will let you know if you have a major difference in wheel
speed, but your 3500 does not have Cross Wind Assist so probably no warning except it will steer
funny with a low front tire.
If the wheel speed gets enough out of synch to set off the ESP Traction control or the ABS
system (when stopping) you will know right away by the big orange triangle in you speedo cluster
plus if it's bad enough the ABS will cycle and you will feel that vibration/noise for sure.
The tire would have to be nearly flat to set off these systems by the wheel speed sensors.
What TPMS (external) are you using and can it be expanded to 6 sensors?
Roger

Last edited:

Wine Country

I bought a Cartech 4 with a small display. I just got the Cartech 6 PAC with a larger display and considered returning it. Another post online said the 3500 would warn you using the wheel speed sensor but my manual did not say it would but also the manual says that there is internal TPMS and we know that's not correct. I have a WGO View and maybe there is a 3500 manual that I did not get, but I doubt it. Thanks for the update.

Boxster1971

2023 Sprinter 2500 144wb AWD
I bought a Cartech 4 with a small display. I just got the Cartech 6 PAC with a larger display and considered returning it. Another post online said the 3500 would warn you using the wheel speed sensor but my manual did not say it would but also the manual says that there is internal TPMS and we know that's not correct. I have a WGO View and maybe there is a 3500 manual that I did not get, but I doubt it. Thanks for the update.

There is a lot of confusion about TPMS on Sprinters. In the USA Sprinter 2500 models have TPMS since they are required by US DOT. But the US regulations don't require TPMS on vehicles with GVWR 10,000 lbs or more or vehicles with dual rear wheels. Thus the Sprinter 3500 models don't have it. Who ever posted that comment about the front wheel speed sensors didn't know what they were talking about.

- - Mike
2012 Sprinter 3500 Extended converted B-Van by Airstream

showkey

agree^^^^^^^^^^^ to the above post

Some history on that confusion in the industry:
There was direct and indirect pressure reading.
When TPMS first came on the scene the indirect method was not approved......but.......

Some if not many manufactures now use wheel speed to “measure tire pressure” indirectly. It is not a simple Wheel speed sensor..........it requires a calibration after tire inflation and the system remembers the rotation. The calibration is usually handle by the customer by pushing a button on the dash info system.

Now there is mixture of systems in the market place.

Last edited:

Top Bottom