Two Critical Dimensions Needed

glasseye

Buried in the decision tree of whether to get a T1N or an NCV3 are two critical dimensions, both missing from the PDFs available in the library.

I know a T1N will fit, but how about an NCV3?

I need:

1) The overall height of a high roof, including the antenna.
2) The overall width, including the mirrors.

My garage door opening is 10ft high and 8 ft wide and there's no door installed yet. It looks to me like it'd be nip and tuck to drive an NCV3 through there. Either I'd drag a mirror, or I'd rip off the antenna when backing out. Anybody got a line on these two measurements? It's over an hour's drive each way to the dealer to borrow a demo NCV3.:rolleyes:

cedarsanctum

re: Member
Our NCV3 is about 9 feet tall without the antenna, and that doesn't stick up a foot above that i think. It is also very flexible and will flex if it contacts an obstruction.
The width at the mirrors i've never checked. If i can remember i will check that tomorrow. The mirrors also fold back against the body to make it less wide.

Jef

shanemac

Man i searched everywhere online it seems for those dimensions can't find anything right now....i did checked mine though the width with mirrors is 8 feet 1/4 inch or 99.7 inches or 2532.38 millimeters mirrors add 10 inches on each side over the width of the van which is 79.7 inches

The antenna sits 3 1/2 inches above the roof 4 inches would be safer so at 4 inches over plus the total height of 107.5 9 feet 1/4 111.5 inches or 2832.1 millimeters

Again these are approx there kinda awkward to measure by myself.

Your height should be fine the width will be a problem if the drivers mirror would fold you would be fine but the mirror does not fold maybe I'm wrong i didn't want to bust my mirror for the sake of this thread sorry:hmmm:

Hope this helps

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
All the mirrors fold on the NCV3s. If you're set on getting the van, I'd put off committing to a door. The NCV3 antenna "stalk" is flexible and hinged so that it will bend a bit backwards and forwards, it will be nearly flush with the mount.

I think that, as long as you clear the roof line, the antenna will be fine. You can also fold the antenna down, but I have no idea how that would impact reception.

I've never seen a garage door that was taller than it was wide except for older buildings that housed a horse-drawn carriage. Did you build it yourself or are you living in a neighborhood that may - as mine - have horse shoes buried beneath the topsoil?

-Jon

glasseye

shanemac, you are the man! :thumbup: :cheers: Thanks for measuring. Fear not, spring has made it to the Kootenays. You're not far behind.

It looks like I'm gonna have to either enlarge the width of my door, or get a T1N.
The garage is framed and sheathed, but not finished. It's not too late to make it a 10X10 door.

Thanks again, guys for the help.

shanemac

No problem...Jon to me it sure looks like they fold i assume they fold towards the side glass? Fold inward like any other vehicle...How much force does it take to fold these to me it feels like something is going to snap in pieces when i do try to move them. Maybe I'm just paranoid. :thinking:

Last edited:

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
No problem...Jon to me it sure looks like they fold i assume they fold towards the side glass? Fold inward like any other vehicle...How much force does it take to fold these to me it feels like something is going to snap in pieces when i do try to move them. Maybe I'm just paranoid. :thinking:
If you're paranoid, if they work, don't move 'em. :) They fold in towards the door glass, and they fold outboard, too.

Nominal.JPG

Folded.JPG

Notice how the fluted, arc'd pieces are integral to positional stability. That's cost-attractive plastic and I suspect (I do not know) that habitually adjusting the mirrors will wear that corrugation until the mirrors will no longer hold their position w/o some duct tape or glue.

FlutedFace.JPG

-Jon

PS: It takes a decent shove to break 'em from their normal position, esp if there's a sheen of dirt in the lans and grooves of that notched, curved piece.... not that you have dirt in there or anything. :)

Last edited:

shanemac

I did some cross checking from max's info says mirrors are 216 mm or 8 1/2 inches i figured about 10 inches so 3 inch diff with both mirrors so total 7 feet 9 1/4" width.... a 8 foot wide door finished trimmed with weather seals would very snug. 9 foot wide door would be fine too 10 foot wide would be plenty.

Top Bottom