New Control Head No Communication

bobsauto

A 2005 Sprinter---- Old Control Head Communicates - Switch Turns On & Off Compressor - Compressor Pressures Perfect -Switch Turns On & Off Recirculate- But Temp Control Broken Spins Freely - The red Led Lights on Recirculate and Compressor Work -Blower Speeds Work Fine-And It Communicates With scanner And PCM --------New Control Head -Compressor Switch Does Not Turn On Compressor Or Light Up - Same With Recirculate Switch - No Red Led Lights Work-Blower Speed Works Fine- Will Not Communicate With Scanner Or PCM - This IS A New Part Supplied By Dodge Confirmed Correct Part Number And I Had Them Replace IT Twice Because IT Should Be Plug And Play Any Suggestions Would Be Appreciated

lindenengineering

Question questions but sorry no answers at the moment.
What is the voltage at the compressor connector chassis side ?
Then--- What is the voltage out to the compressor at the control head when commanded to engage?

Does the compressor clutch engage if you supply battery voltage to the compressor connector?
A good control head temperature switch should not just spin. It tells me the internal rheostat is broken on its limit stops.
All very simple stuff!
Dennis

Goofy foot

sliding left...
What does "supplied by Dodge" mean? You purchased it from a Dodge dealership parts department? And 2 ATC units were bad out of the box? hhmmmm...? I would double check your connectors...clean them thoroughly. They can be difficult to engage completely. It's a fragile/tight place to work. Be patient. Lube your cables while in there.

bobsauto

Question questions but sorry no answers at the moment.
What is the voltage at the compressor connector chassis side ?
Then--- What is the voltage out to the compressor at the control head when commanded to engage?

Does the compressor clutch engage if you supply battery voltage to the compressor connector?
A good control head temperature switch should not just spin. It tells me the internal rheostat is broken on its limit stops.
All very simple stuff!
Dennis
It seems very simple That the new control should just plug in and work but it does not and Yes the rheostat is broke on the old one the compressor works perfect with the old one installed the new control does even talk to the scanner like the old one does

bobsauto

What does "supplied by Dodge" mean? You purchased it from a Dodge dealership parts department? And 2 ATC units were bad out of the box? hhmmmm...? I would double check your connectors...clean them thoroughly. They can be difficult to engage completely. It's a fragile/tight place to work. Be patient. Lube your cables while in there.
Yes they have double checked the numbers am sure the new ones are good just have not been able to communicate with them connectors are good cables are tight but work will replace cables if I can get the electronic parts to communicate
If I plug the old one in it communicates right away But rheostat is broke

Last edited:

bobsauto

I have had three other reputable shops look at this with no answers the local dodge dealer here don't even work on the spinters Mercedes does do the sprinters but they say the tools are different for the 2005 and older

Last edited:

bobsauto

I have had three other reputable shops look at this with no answers the local dodge dealer here don't even work on the spinters Mercedes does do the sprinters but they say the tools are different for the 2005 and older
I guess there is a difference in tools older sprinters to new sprinter

Dougflas

DAD OWNER
Does not make sense. Give us your VIN number and the number on the unit. We can look it up to make sure you're using the correct replacement. Also state if you have an aux heater (Espar). "Something is rotten in Denmark" (or somewhere else)

Top Bottom