Removing the cover on the B pillar

Jim Lawyer

Has anyone removed the plastic cover on the B pillar of a 2008 Sprinter 2500 cargo van? How does one go about this?

I've removed various interior panels and have broken many hidden clips in my enthusiasm (damn things are expensive to replace). I want to know what I'm getting into, what to look for, how it's attached, etc.

Why? I want to run wires up the inside of the B pillar (with the other factory wires) and into the factory plastic wire chase that runs along the ceiling.

cedarsanctum

re: Member
I've had mine out several times, but it's been a while so i'll try to explain from memory.
Remove the 'hook' at the top, it has a plastic covering over the metal hook that screws onto the pillar, pry that cover off carefully with a small screwdriver. Remove the cargo hook near the floor. The whole cover should pull out from the top and then lift up off the large hidden hooks near the bottom that hold it to the body. It helps to remove the seat belt from the seat, but isn't necessary as the cover will move out of the way easy enough.
The trickiest part is getting the seat belt adjuster mechanism back together. It pulls apart easy enough, but you really have to line things up right and hold your mouth just so to re-align it and put it back together. After doing it 5 or 6 times it becomes fairly easy, but not having done it now for a while i can't explain exactly how.
Hope this helps.
Jef

lzcamper

Here's a couple of photos looking down the inside of the pillar covering. (Is that the "B" pillar?) The clips pull out of the slots that you see on the pillar. You will need to remove the weather strip from the edge of the covering so it will pull out. I found it easiest to pull off the covering by starting at the top. On my '06 T1N, there were no screws to deal with. As Jef said, the most difficult part is lining up the seat belt adjuster mechanism so it fits when you pop the covering back on.

Rick

Attachments

Top Bottom