EGR

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
2008 & 28,000km/18,000miles

4 weeks back the Check Engine Light is on. That night I read here that it may be recall H44 and EGR related. Next morning light is intermittant. I head to dealer and they perform H44, light remains off as I leave dealer and head down street a mile and park for a few hrs. Start van, head down highway and after 30 minutes the light is on. I drive to next town and park overnight and next morning light is off. So far I chalk up the intermitant light to the fact that I actually overfilled the tank the night before and had the light comeon 10 minutes later which may have created breathing/starving issues(common issue) which disappear after 3-4 starts.

Last Thursday evening the light is back on. Next morning it is on, but as I drive to the dealer it goes off. The deisel technicion runs the diagnostic and gets codes 3130 & 2951. He then informs me that upon inspection, the 'sensor' and EGR system is sooty. He says, that the written proceedure for the diagnostic is to clean the sensor and reset. But, he also said that Chrysler has also instructed him to clean the whole EGR system as needed. He said that depending on the severity and needed replacement parts and availability it would take between 3-5 days in the shop. :shifty:.

I said "What?" He said it takes hours to disassemble, soak, clean & brush each component back to original, then reassemble. We detemined that it would be ok for me to drive away as I experience no other performance issues, plus he said that while I'm sooty I'm not as sooty as the recent systems that he's cleaned. I said I will do some inquiries and speak to Chrysler about putting me up for the time needed to clean the sytem if I choose to do it right away as I'm RV'ing and thousands of mile form home.

Refreshingly, he took some time to discuss the EGR sytem and issue with me. He asked about my driving habits and experiences. I said that I occasionaly do idle the motor, no more that 5-10 minutes perhaps once a month for the 11+ months I have the van. I told him I 'baby' the van, less than 100kph/60mph on the highways and very slow accelerations. He said that my low revving of the motor is not helping with soot accumation, as the slower flow of exhaust is allowing the soot to stick.

I leave the dealer with the light off, fasten everything down, and head into the mountains on a 50 mile twisty road up over the pass and back all the while using 2nd and 3rd gear, up and down shifting and revving nicely between 2000 and 4000. In other words, 'Clean it out' a bit. So the light stays off the whole time. But, later that evening the light is back on and stays on most of the next day(today), but finally turned off again.

It was also explained that EGR sootiness is a common problem with our deisels, as the temperture need to lower the NOX gas emission biproducts is right around the same temperature needed to keep the exhaust gas gaseous. Excess iding, low grade fuel, incomplete burn all contrbute to the amount of recirculated gas that can accumulate.

I guess my question is... what do I do next?

Last edited:

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
It sounds like your next step is a deep cleaning.

Can you talk a bit more about the diagnostic he ran?

It seems like the guidance in the service manual always says to clear the codes and run the tests.

Did he clear your codes and run a test?

I'm also curious to know if he ran the Engine Control Module Actuators
ECM-Actuators.JPG

and/or the ECM System Test for the EGR system

ECU-ECM-System-Tests.JPG

If you can find out exactly what he did, I'd really like to know.

-Jon

PS: after re-reading your post, maybe the next step isn't a deep cleaning, but a wait-n-see if the "off periods" get longer, until the "off periods" are normal.... and assuming you never have a performance issue (limp home mode).

Last edited:
Hi OrioN,
I’m having almost the same issue. Right after H44 recall, my Check Engine Light went ON. Next day I went back to the dealer, the diesel technician runs the diagnostic and gets cod 2853 unknown. I have been told; he will call Chrysler and ask them what cod 2853 stands for. I was driving the Sprinter for one week with Check Engine Light ON and two days ago I had a call from dealer, that they ordered two sensors (they didn’t specified moor, except they EGR related). But today Check Engine Light went off.:idunno:
Very weird… I will not call the dealer, until they get the new sensors.
I didn’t have any issues with my 2007 Sprinter, never been in limp mode, had two cargo light burned out right after my purchase(change them with new and still carry them) , getting 20.8mpg study with 3.923 axle ratio-very happy with my Sprinter. Was reborn, when I changed my 4 tires with Michelin LT245/75/16 LTX M/S a week ago. Very quiet and comfortable ride.
I will keep you posted on my issue….

appltech

I too have the same check engine light . Have an appointment for wed morning to check it for the second time. Also I'm having a problem with the reflector on the exhaust side coming loose. It's been replaced six or seven times. I think the heat from the exhaust rises when stopped at a light and softens the plastic tab and it curls up . Has any one else suffered from the loose reflector in the bumper?

shanemac

Checked mine and its fine maybe my cold weather is good for one thing. The tail pipe is a good 13-14 inches away from the reflector on mine.

Top Bottom