04 T1N sprinter stumbles at highway speeds

Dalton

Does anyone have any idea on what causes my sprinter to stumble at 60 mph???
The first time it happened i thought my foot slipped off the diesel pedal.
It is like the engine totally dies for about 2-3 seconds.
160k miles, 3k< miles on fuel filter, air filter ok.
I only get 15 mpg which is a little disappointing.:cry:

I put the bigger tires on, (225 75 16)and ladder racks with 2 ladders, but i
am not carrying much weight. Guesstimate 700-1000 lbs.
Any advice is much appreciated. :thumbup:

hkpierce

'02 140 Hi BlueBlk Pass
Does anyone have any idea on what causes my sprinter to stumble at 60 mph???
The first time it happened i thought my foot slipped off the diesel pedal.
It is like the engine totally dies for about 2-3 seconds.
160k miles, 3k< miles on fuel filter, air filter ok.
I don't have answers - only questions.

• Does the engine really die? Any CEL lights - and if so - what are they?
    ---> or is the transmission disengaging? Go into limp mode?
  • Regularly or intermittent?
  • Any codes from a T1N compliant code reader?
  • On acceleration/step-down?
  • How long has this been happening?
  • Any work on the engine or electrical system recently?
  • What is the condition of your transmission? Fluid level correct? Transmission connector OK?

Last edited:

As HK already asked, does the engine really die or do you lose power?

If just a power loss it would be worth checking the brake light switch adjustment. If the engine thinks that the brakes are applied the ECM aka ECU cuts engine power.

vic

autostaretx

Erratic Member
For what it's worth, i've had (very very) rare drop-outs, but they were all at "creep" speed, doing a 90 degree right turn from a stoplight.

They were definitely total outage, but if i let it continue rolling, it was able to self-start (roll start) the two or three times it happened. (i know i turned the key off/on at least on one occurrence)
I've always assumed it's an intermittent wiring issue, triggered by the angle of turn and shift of engine weight (who knows?) of the particular intersection. No, the ASR light/triangle didn't flash (or it did it and extinguished before i looked down).

But dropping out on the straight and speedy hasn't happened to me (yet).

--dick

Possibly air charge hose has a slit in it. Is it old? Some chemicals can cause it to break down and produce a leak. (Like brake fluid, I know.)

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Usually a charge air leak causes the Sprinter to stop trying to use its turbo... but it keeps running , simply with a lot less power.
(been there, done that). It's more of a (almost) gentle back-off on the pedal instead of that instantaneous feeling of "Hey! I'm coasting!"

...but it never hurts to check (and the 2004 has the plastic resonator which can leak, too)

--dick

Dalton

I don't have answers - only questions.

• Does the engine really die? Any CEL lights - and if so - what are they?
    ---> or is the transmission disengaging? Go into limp mode?
  • Regularly or intermittent?
  • Any codes from a T1N compliant code reader?
  • On acceleration/step-down?
  • How long has this been happening?
  • Any work on the engine or electrical system recently?
  • What is the condition of your transmission? Fluid level correct? Transmission connector OK?
Sorry about not responding before this. I didnt know anyone responded. I thought i would get an email letting me know when someone responded.
the problem had gone away, but is back again and it happens more frequently now so i searched the forum and saw that i have some suggestions!!! Thanks everyone.

The brake light seems like the most likely cause, as it seems like all power goes away but snaps back quickly and runs fine with no CEL.

How do i check the brake light switch???
I am now having CEL on with U0423 code. Which i believe is not related.

MillionMileSprinter

Millionmilesprinter.com
A stumble at highway speeds is often related to *speed*. I would check the speed/abs sensors at each wheel for debris or improper spacing from the tone ring.
No, I take that back. I would FIRST check the tire pressures. If they are particularly low, or if one is significantly lower than the others, it can cause wonky readings in the ABS/ASR systems and the electronics would take over, thinking you were either spinning out a tire when you weren't or that maybe you were hydroplaning and one tire is moving signifcantly slower than the other three. When the ABS/ASR systems activate, they often electronically drop the rpms, making you feel a "stutter".
Same thing with the sensor/tone ring interface. If its off or something is not reading correctly, the ECU can think you are skidding or hydroplaning and take what it thinks is appropriate action. These "stutters" would also NOT be accompanied by a MIL (CEL) because the ECU treats it as a normal occurance of driving. Otherwise the MIL will illuminate every time the ABS kicks in.
My sister in law called me last winter a few times saying that her sprinter kept randomly losing power when she was driving on the highway. Then it would come back again. When she finally came by, it turned out to be a low tire. The high speeds and low air pressure deformed the tire enough to make the wheel spin at a different enough speed for the ASR system to kick in and the ECU to limit power for a second. Then everything would go back to normal.
While the brake light switch is part of the ABS system, I am not aware that any signal from it is necessary unless you are braking. Therefore, a "stutter" at highway speeds is probably not related to the brake light switch... Unless, of course, you had a short in the brake light circuit and a signal was being (reversley) sent from the light up through the brake light switch. But why that would only happen at highway speeds is beyond me.

Dalton

A stumble at highway speeds is often related to *speed*. I would check the speed/abs sensors at each wheel for debris or improper spacing from the tone ring.
No, I take that back. I would FIRST check the tire pressures. If they are particularly low, or if one is significantly lower than the others, it can cause wonky readings in the ABS/ASR systems and the electronics would take over, thinking you were either spinning out a tire when you weren't or that maybe you were hydroplaning and one tire is moving signifcantly slower than the other three. When the ABS/ASR systems activate, they often electronically drop the rpms, making you feel a "stutter".
Same thing with the sensor/tone ring interface. If its off or something is not reading correctly, the ECU can think you are skidding or hydroplaning and take what it thinks is appropriate action. These "stutters" would also NOT be accompanied by a MIL (CEL) because the ECU treats it as a normal occurance of driving. Otherwise the MIL will illuminate every time the ABS kicks in.
My sister in law called me last winter a few times saying that her sprinter kept randomly losing power when she was driving on the highway. Then it would come back again. When she finally came by, it turned out to be a low tire. The high speeds and low air pressure deformed the tire enough to make the wheel spin at a different enough speed for the ASR system to kick in and the ECU to limit power for a second. Then everything would go back to normal.
While the brake light switch is part of the ABS system, I am not aware that any signal from it is necessary unless you are braking. Therefore, a "stutter" at highway speeds is probably not related to the brake light switch... Unless, of course, you had a short in the brake light circuit and a signal was being (reversley) sent from the light up through the brake light switch. But why that would only happen at highway speeds is beyond me.
Thanks so much for the post. I think you are dead on with the wheel speed sensor. The check brake light will come on once in a while.
I checked the brake switch and it seems good and aligned, so i couldnt see how the circuit could open without me pushing the pedal.

Your suggestion about speed makes sense that it doesnt do it in slower speeds.
Come to think of it, i just checked my tire pressure the other day and they were only 70, so i made them 75 psi. It has not happened since then!!!:thumbup:
(the uo423 code turned out to be a corroded wire to temp sensor)

Last edited:

SneakyAnarchistVanCamper

Reading till my eyesbleed
Are you pressing the brake pedal with your foot just slightly? That will kill engine power.

Pull up on the white plunger underneath the brake pedal, with the pedal depressed fully. Compare wheel speed values.

Dalton

Just thought i should update this thread.
I still have the problem, but i think i know what it is.

Throttle Position Sensor.
If it throws a fit and dies out, if i just hold the throttle steady, it is just like it is not being depressed.
If i change throttle position, it will snap out of it.
Is it the TPS, or a bad wire????
How can i test the TPS???

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
A bad TPS (pedal sensor) will almost always throw a code. If you have throttle response issues, that can sometimes be attributed a to a sticking EGR valve, or some fuel supply issue.

Dalton

No codes...but i do have 2 lights on in the dash. abs and wheel sensor.
The thing is, it is veeery random. It has done it maybe once in the last week.
Then sometimes it will do it like 5 times in one day.
Not a big deal, i just let off on the throttle a little, and off we go...

However, i would at least figure out what is causing it. I do NOT want it to let me set beside the road.
How do i figure out if it is a fuel supply issue????
Or a sticking EGR???

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Dont know...
Can i get those codes with just a basic code reader?
No, you need something that speaks sprinter. In the scanner subforum, there is several threads discussing options, which vary from around 60-200$ depending. The AP200 is popular, but works with only one vehicle without an extra fee. The MD808 or similar are a bit more money, but can work on a very wide range of vehicles (never had my 802 fail to connect).

Top Bottom