Perhaps FINALLY my 1st T1N?!

Found a 04 T1N 140 2500 w/ 135K no rust. CarFax and AutoCheck show no accidents but only shows maintenance 2 times.(I've heard these reports are not the most reliable but better than nothing) Has a roof AC that had a leak and destroyed headliner but no rust.

Owner says trans was replaced a several years ago and van has just been sitting last several years except to start and run to maintain battery. No major leaks but power steering dipstick didn't show fluid but turning was fine on short test drive.

No warning lights came on.

Going early AM to take to a mechanic and see if any codes pop up.

Any suggestions on what else to do/look for is much appreciated!

vanski

If it’s winter, I’m probably skiing..
Hopefully it's over 75 degrees and you can find a grade... if the needle goes over 215 run back down that hill and pass the keys back. might be worth finding a grade and posting: current ambient temp, % of grade, length of grade, speed

Overheating is the number one cause of failure in these little 5 Cs....

Sure, pop the injector cover and look for Black Death.. but bd can be permanately fixed, so just use that as method to reduce price by ~10%

Funny sounds from rear diff.. a howel sound can be expensive..

Check all the doors.. do they lock unlock properly. Do the shut? Doors are time consuming to fix.

Is their oil whicking up the wiring harness to the tcm??

If the glow plugs haven't been changed out most likely they will fail with a CEL either there currently or on its way... look for those codes.

The list can go on and on. Really depends on the price.

Thanks much and sending positive vibes and prayers for rain to extinguish the fires up your way along with a snowy winter in the hills to peg the fun meter!

Will check for Black Death (forgot to mention above) https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3326 fill power steering fluid res and do a grade run tomorrow! Then drop by a FedEx mechanic who apparently knows these quite well.

Price is 4k and he seems pretty firm. Doors all seem fine except passenger which is difficult to open with key. (will bring some graphite powder) Looking in the For Sale forum price looks about average but I could be mistaken?

Another issue is it has a wrap that desert heat has totally baked till it orange peeled... perhaps this may take a lot of time/energy to remove?

danpaul000

A man, a van, no plan
Thanks much and sending positive vibes and prayers for rain to extinguish the fires up your way along with a snowy winter in the hills to peg the fun meter!

Will check for Black Death (forgot to mention above) https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3326 fill power steering fluid res and do a grade run tomorrow! Then drop by a FedEx mechanic who apparently knows these quite well.

Price is 4k and he seems pretty firm. Doors all seem fine except passenger which is difficult to open with key. (will bring some graphite powder) Looking in the For Sale forum price looks about average but I could be mistaken?

Another issue is it has a wrap that desert heat has totally baked till it orange peeled... perhaps this may take a lot of time/energy to remove?
If (IF) there are no major issues that need $$$ repair, 4k would be a great price IMO for a t1n with such low mileage. I looked all over the country for such a van earlier this year, $10k was closer to the mark for those in pretty good shape. Make sure your mechanic knows what he is taking about and gives a thorough inspection before you commit to purchase.

Good luck and welcome aboard.

Dan

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

vanski

If it’s winter, I’m probably skiing..

Thanks for the positive vibes! Folks are hurting, some dying, here right now. It's scary!

$4k leaves a lot of room.... good find! Unless there's something really wrong with it I say you've found yourself a sprinter:cheers:

Thanks for the positive vibes! Folks are hurting, some dying, here right now. It's scary!

$4k leaves a lot of room.... good find! Unless there's something really wrong with it I say you've found yourself a sprinter:cheers:
Thanks much! :cheers: heading there shortly with tools and gloves!

glasseye

I’d sure like to know why the transmission was replaced at such low mileage.
Also, check harmonic balancer. Vehicles with rear AC are prone to issues.
That is a hella good price if the rest is good.

Thanks, from a happy new owner!

It did throw codes and needs brakes but the FedEx mechanic said he can clear them as they may have been there a long time and then see what comes back on and go from there. He thought it looked great for the year, mileage and no rust.

Drove it up a steep incline and temps did rise a bit but never over 190 or so and no trans slipping or shifting problems and steering felt tight. Also pulled plastic cover off ISO black death and it was clean enough to eat off of and it is definitely more peppy than my Outback.

Pretty excited to finally have one after years of looking consistently and while I realize it will take some work I think it will be a good horse. There is a part of me still wishes it was a 158 as I will be living in it full time but I'm reminded "less is more!"

Thanks again gents! :cheers:

Found a receipt in glove box for new trans $4,780.00 w/ 3yr/30,000 mile and it says "Client had van towed in due to van not moving when in gear. Upon inspection trans was slipping and not in gauging into gear. Recommended replacing trans assembly"

Top Bottom