Crazy idea

dvuono

Anyone ever convert their low roof sprinter to a high roof sprinter by chopping off their roof and welding a high roof on instead? Toying with the idea. I have a 118" wb low roof. Love my van but can't stand not being able to stand up inside. I think it might be possible. Found a high roof T1N for salvage that has everything I would need. Considering high roof 118"s are impossible to find, this could be a cheaper option, but would be a significant project...

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
The back doors are higher in the hi roof. I also think the front part above the windshield would need to be addressed. You also could consider a pop top.

dvuono

The back doors are higher in the hi roof. I also think the front part above the windshield would need to be addressed. You also could consider a pop top.
Yeah I thought about that too. Would need to be made of fiber glass. A place in Colorado does it for $10K. So it would be quite pricey. Also, I wanted to put hanging cabinets which would need to be mounted to metal, not fiberglass.

The salvage van I was looking at also has rear doors, so I would be covered. Part above the windshield is what scares me the most :eek:

Patrick of M

2005 T1N 2500 (NA spec)
Why don't you simply buy a good shell or van with worn out components and do a swap!
Dennis
What Dennis said but beware, I have done a shell swap on a 60s car (Volvo Amazon) and I was shocked at how many hours it took, and that was a very simple car......changed my mind, Probably easier to drop a new roof on as long as you are a decent welder., .... The usual, cross brace so that it stays square. I know guys who have raised 40 foot roofs on highway coaches looked like a lot of work to me but they did it. Best part of the roof raised is the whole Job is done standing up......not on your back and knees on a garage or worse floor.

Last edited:

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
You would be better off having a custom fiberglass high top made. Another option would be modifying another vans high roof (E series?) to fit. It would not be difficult for a fiberglass shop.

psychoboy

05&06 Dodge Longs & Talls
instead of making a low top 118 taller, have you considered making a high top 140 or 158 shorter?

hulagun

Haulin' A** since 1974
Considering high roof 118"s are impossible to find, this could be a cheaper option, but would be a significant project...
Not saying you are wrong but at least half the 118s I have seen are SHC high tops. I kinda thought the standard roof was rarer. If it makes you feel better, The standard roofs are faster and get better mileage. And the rear doors rattle less.
But I feel your pain, sometimes I'd love 2 more inches of ceiling height in mine. Luckily I rarely need to stand up back there, so it's not been an issue.
You could graft on the canopy from an old fighter plane, or the top from an old Buick Skyliner station wagon.... I have seen both... seems easier to sell it and buy one you like better.

Top Bottom