Alarm addition

march

I would like to add an alarm system. My sprinter has the basic remote with immobilizer but would like to add an alarm system and retain the original remote. This is a Pleasureway conversion so we also would like the ability to have it armed when we are inside. Does anyone have an aftermarket on that meet this criteria?

Josh

Go with any simple alarm that does not tie into any of Sprinter's electronics.

I had a major problem with an alarm install that Dodge claimed messed up my electronics.
The van was in the shop for 3 weeks awaiting modules from the factory damaged by an aftermarket alarm.
The installer disputed the issue & I was caught in the middle with no vehicle. The $3,000. repair
was covered by warranty but Chrysler told me in writing that they believed the alarm caused the problem
and a reconnection would void the warranty.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Josh's guidance is apropos.

Further, it would be worth contacting the RV manufacturer to ask about this since the same guidance applies to their modifications: you wouldn't want to interfer with any of their systems, either. They'd be in the best position to offer guidance.

-Jon

wmlog

Be very, very, very careful when altering the electrical/electronics of any Sprinter, unless you have deep pockets to correct the forthcoming faults.

march

I found a Viper alarm 3901V Canbus OEM that uses the factory remote. It appears to be able to do the job on many Mercedes and new Chrysler models but now with your comments I won't use unless I find someone that has sucessfully installed in a Sprinter. Thanks for saving me from jumping in and putting my eletronics in jeopardy!! I wonder which model Josh installed?

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Josh, can you describe the installation, circuits/wiring, what you had to pull apart and how you disassembled any part of your Sprinter to get the gizmo bolted in, wired up and working?

-Jon

kjl

Has anyone bought/installed an OEM alarm? I would like to ID the parts that make up the alarm system and buy them from MB or chrysler

lockrob

I installed a clifford in mine.A friend has the same alarm in his 07.Same installer did both.There was a change in wiring between poduction dates and all my door lock acuators got smoked.
Be very causous on who you have do install.If they have not done one before look for someone who has.
My dealer tries to blame everything wrong with the truck on the radio and alarm.

Josh

Hi Jon,

Sorry, if you need a faster reply simply send an e-mail, I don't check this site as often as I should.

The alarm that apparently caused problems was not installed by me personally, although I'm handy
with these things I didn't want to take chances. Instead I had the most reputable alarm installer in Toronto do the work...the place is always busy with European exotics such as Maserati's, Lamborghini's & Ferrari's...so I felt safe. They were pricy but they assured me that they know their stuff & are familiar with Mercedes electronics.

After the Sprinter's electronic problems were fixed I still wanted an alarm but Chrysler & the alarm installer refused to move an inch & not take any further risks. I convinced the alarm installer to replace the Viper with a basic $50. Audiovox. Only 2 sensors are now connected to it, without disturbing any of the Sprinter's electronics. There's a shock sensor and an air pressure sensor. The air pressure sensor (which they told me is recommended for all large vans & trucks since entry is easy thru large windows) is better than I expected, it actually works. It did need a few sensitivity adjustments but i've been happy with the system for almost 1 1/2 years. I added a louder automotive horn which beeps along with the alarm's siren.

Hope this helps,
Josh

Top Bottom